8 pin gpu or 8+6 pin ?

bydus
Go to solution Solved by Briggsy,

8+6 means you get more stable power delivery. otherwise 8-pin by itself is more than enough for a 970 and big overclocks.

I'm looking for 970 and I'm torn between strix 970 and msi 970 one has 8pin and the other 8+6 which I assume would be better for O/C but apart from having less cables is there a point of getting 8 or 8+6 pin ?

I'm looking for 970 and I'm torn between strix 970 and msi 970 one has 8pin and the other 8+6 which I assume would be better for O/C but apart from having less cables is there a point of getting 8 or 8+6 pin ?

im sure the Asus has either 6+6 or 6+8 and i know the MSi has 6+8 more is better for oc i guess because it allows for more power to be drawn. but it also depends on the power draw limit on the GPU bios. so its the same difference for ASUS 970 and MSI 970

If the Asus has only a 8 pin thats a bit strange but MSi would be better then, more stable

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

8+6 means you get more stable power delivery. otherwise 8-pin by itself is more than enough for a 970 and big overclocks.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If you're never going to overclock it then you shouldn't really care. The product will work fine out of the box.

Before buying the GPU you should check your PSU's available pins. Mine only have an 6pin and 6+2pin. So a GPU with 8+8 wouldn't fit.

When in doubt: C4

8+6 means you will draw more power from the wall than just 8 pin, now it might sound nonsense that Auss replaced 8+6 with just a single 8 and that the Power delivery wont be that stabel, but it's a very good mod from Asus, there PCB hase very good quality components that the power delivery is still stable even when you OC to the level of the card with an extra +6pin, the GPU still gets enough power to keep stable when OCed, they did do that for nothing 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

8+6 gives you more overclocking headroom. With a single 8-pin, you get 150W of power through the PCIe power connector, which covers the main TDP for the card, plus 75W from the PCIe slot itself at your disposal for overclocking. With a stock BIOS and a standard chip card you'll be perfectly fine to overclock to stability limits with a single 8 pin. The 8+6 will really only benefit you when you get to the point of a good result in the chip lottery, custom loop cooling, heavy overvolting, and custom flashed BIOS. 

"Rawr XD"