Building new sysstem need advice.

Hello,

im building a new system, and money is no option. It will be for gaming in 1920 x 1080 will be in 3d. I was looking at this setup.

MB - Asus Rampage IV Extreme. (socket 2011)

CPU - i7 3970X

GPU - Asus ROG Matrix HD 7970 platinum x2 in CrossfireX

Ram - Corsair Dominator 16GB DDR3 2133Mhz ( in Quad Channel)

PSU - EVGA SuperNova NEX1500 Classified 1500W

and I'm going to pack it in a Caselabs M8 Case

But I want pure gaming power and im just not sure what that would be today. it will be water cooled with 3 triple rads.

I just want the best of the best.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Looks good to me, but the CPU is WAY over priced, just get a 3930K, no point of spending another $500 for a 100mhz and 3MB cache. The CPU is pretty overkill for gaming, but might come in handy for video editing, most games don't even use 4 cores fully.

PSU is also overkill, but it will come in handy if you go 3 way or 4 way crossfire in the future.

With the money you save from the CPU get a sound card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132010

And a high end headset or speaker system. Nothing improves immersion in gaming like good sound.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

The only issue I really see with the system is the 1500W PSU. You really should be fine with something like an 800W - 1500W would be if you wanted to run something like dual 7990s or GTX 690s. Other than that though you'd made some pretty good choices on the components. I usually tell people to take into consideration what you really need in a system, especially since dual 7970s is going to be a little overkill for 1080p gaming, but if you have the cash to spend along with the idea of future-proofing your system, you're golden.

EDIT: As fishymamba suggested, a 3970X really isn't worth the ludicrous amount extra. The 3930K really is a great option for its price.

The only thing I'd toss out there is using an SSD for your boot drive - 240GB SSDs have really dropped in price and are a fantastic option right now. Personally, I have a Kingston HyperK 3K in my system and am very happy with it as it only costed me $190 which was an awesome deal. Just make sure you set the memory to 2133MHz in the BIOS as it will not be detected by default!

If you wanted the best of the best yes, that's as good as it gets. But I would suggest going to Nvidia cards for 3d. Nvidia's 3d vision is just much more mature then amd's 3d solution.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

If 3d is your thing and money isnt a concern then 690 is the way to go.....amds 3d is just bogus.....nvidia has a full package and is more immersive. Get a 690 and nvidias 3d kit .

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

I was thinking of 2 evga 690 hydro coper. But they are very hard to get. So would this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0080JWLFU

be better then above. Could get 2 if it would perform. And as for the CPU I amd thinking in video editing but I forgot to ask

if your going 3d go nvidia... with 690's or triple or double 680's... with more ram for the 3d... and the evga 1500 psu... is overkilll i would rather get a corsair 1200i, it's 80 plus platinum and modular so yah... better i guess...

Considering money isn't a problem, you might as well get a few OCZ vectors and put them in raid 0. Or wait for the Asus raidr pcie ssd coming out in April. However keep in mind that we actually haven't seen any specs of it yet but it looks awesome from what has been released.

Looks good to me, but the CPU is WAY over priced, just get a 3930K, no point of spending another $500 for a 100mhz and 3MB cache. The CPU is pretty overkill for gaming, but might come in handy for video editing, most games don't even use 4 cores fully.

PSU is also overkill, but it will come in handy if you go 3 way or 4 way crossfire in the future.

With the money you save from the CPU get a sound card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132010

And a high end headset or speaker system. Nothing improves immersion in gaming like good sound.

Yeah I agree. For pure gaming even a core i5-3570k would be enough to run any game out there and even the i7-3770k is slightly overkill for gaming imo.

I researched ssd and yes they perform they degrade and die unless that is not true. I was going to get 2 velocity raptors and put them in raid0. Would that do for loading games fast?

Yes I no the risk of raid0 and I will have games and I can always get them back.

I researched ssd and yes they perform they degrade and die unless that is not true. I was going to get 2 velocity raptors and put them in raid0. Would that do for loading games fast? Yes I no the risk of raid0 and I will have games and I can always get them back.

Well if I am not mistaken they are pretty reliable now compared to what they used to be. I wouldn't worry about the raptors, I would just get two SSDs and put them in raid 0 instead. One SSD loads game amazingly fast compared to a reg HDD. I don't know about the raid, but I do not see why not.

Yeah just go for 2 SSDs in Raid 0, if you want more speed and you have money to burn this would be a good option: http://tinyurl.com/axqousl

I don't think you can boot from it so you will still need a boot drive.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

If just gaming? Some of your choices are extreme overkill. I understand

money is no object, but WOW! Can I have some of your money if you

are just throwing it away like that? Because that's what your doing.

Try this out:

MB - ASUS Maximus V EXTREME LGA 1155 Intel Z77

CPU - i7 3770K

GPU - Aries II 7970 (if you can get one) Only 999 made. Or your better off getting a single 7990 over 2 7970's. Less heat to dissipate.

RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800Mhz Dual Channel 16gb DDR3

PSU - CORSAIR AX1200i 1200W

SC - ASUS Xonar Essence STX with Corsair SP 2500, Awesome, Awesome sound!

Case seems fine. I might recommend the new Corsair 900D thats coming out soon

Water Cooling a must, Preferably custom

I researched ssd and yes they perform they degrade and die unless that is not true. I was going to get 2 velocity raptors and put them in raid0. Would that do for loading games fast?

Yes I no the risk of raid0 and I will have games and I can always get them back.

SSDs almost never die. In all the time that Linus has used SSDs he has only had 1 die on him and it was a really old 1 in his home server. Also they don't degrade if u partition a small portion of the drive to be set aside to replace dead cells if they happen to die which is rare. A velocity raptor is basically a ssd and a hdd put together so it will slow down the same amount. And correct me if I'm wrong but mechanical hard drives slow down more than SDDs.

Yeah just go for 2 SSDs in Raid 0, if you want more speed and you have money to burn this would be a good option: http://tinyurl.com/axqousl

I don't think you can boot from it so you will still need a boot drive.

Really? I thought u could boot from a raid 0 drive.

What ssd have the best performance. But would be reliable and would take a while to degrade.

And I decide to go with a single asus gtx 690 and Mabey if I need more power I'll add another. There's just one think I need to know 1 asus 690 killed 2 asus matrix 7970 in crossfire. Right?

What ssd have the best performance. But would be reliable and would take a while to degrade.

And I decide to go with a single asus gtx 690 and Mabey if I need more power I'll add another. There's just one think I need to know 1 asus 690 killed 2 asus matrix 7970 in crossfire. Right?

The new OCZ Vector SSDs look nice. Can't beat the 5 year warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-2-5-Inch-Warranty--VTR1-25SAT3-128G/dp/B00A9YQPME/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358975425&sr=8-2&keywords=ocz+vector

7970 x2 and a single gtx 690 are pretty close to each other. A single 690 will also produce less heat

then the 2-7970's. As far as performance in gaming, more often then not it depends on the game itself,

resolution it's being played at, the monitor displaying, different factors. But they are still very comparable

to each other.

Yeah gtx 690 is much better especially in 3D gaming. And as of now, OCZ Vectors like I mentioned before are basically 1 of the best right now. But close competitors are Corsair Neutron GTX, Plextor M5P, and Samsung 840 pro. They perform almost exactly the same but I personally would buy the OCZ Vector because of the 5 year warranty.

ok guys,

im going to go with

MB - Asus Rampage IV Extreme

CPU - i7 3970X

GPU - Asus GTX 690 (will get another down the road if needed)

Ram - Corsair Dominator 16GB DDR3 2133Mhz

PSU - EVGA SuperNova NEX1500 Classified 1500W

As for boot drive i think im going to give ocz a chance ( mabey 2 drives in raid 0)

What coolent should i use (is there a best) God there is so many!!!!

thanks for all the help