GPU cleaning. What is this?

blackwhite

I had to remove this piece to remove the backplate. It has some sort of a liquidy substance underneath. Can I just screw it back in and go, or does this need to be replaced like thermal paste?

http://imgur.com/yaPOc4P,KXvHIVu#0 

First picture is where I removed it from

I had to remove this piece to remove the backplate. It has some sort of a liquidy substance underneath. Can I just screw it back in and go, or does this need to be replaced like thermal paste?

Do you have a picture?

Am I the only one around here who really doesn't like pcpartpicker?
I also like Ubisoft and Origin/EA          
Guess I'm just odd that way.

HATER OF MAIL IN REBATES!

Sorry, tried attaching a picture but it didn't go through.

Is it a thermal pad? It might just be grease from that, which you can just clean off and reattach the pad. 

4k Main Rig: CPU: Intel 4770k || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 || GPU: 2x GTX 780 DCIIs || MEM: 4x4Gb 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance || CASE: Corsair 750D || STORAGE: Corsair 240Gb Force GS (OS), Corsair 120Gb Force GT (games) and Seagate 3TB (storage) || PSU: Corsair 860i || DISPLAYS: ASUS PB287Q 4k || COOLING: 360mm x 45mm Rad, 280mm x 60mm Rad, EK Supremacy EVO, 2x EK GXT 780 ti DCII blocks

Is that a DC2 card? IIRC that's what my 780 looked like with the top off. Yea it's just grease, you can wipe it off and put the thermal pad back on. 

Yep, it's just like mine. All it is is stuff from the factory, don't worry about it. 

post-155993-0-21571800-1417489811_thumb.

4k Main Rig: CPU: Intel 4770k || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 || GPU: 2x GTX 780 DCIIs || MEM: 4x4Gb 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance || CASE: Corsair 750D || STORAGE: Corsair 240Gb Force GS (OS), Corsair 120Gb Force GT (games) and Seagate 3TB (storage) || PSU: Corsair 860i || DISPLAYS: ASUS PB287Q 4k || COOLING: 360mm x 45mm Rad, 280mm x 60mm Rad, EK Supremacy EVO, 2x EK GXT 780 ti DCII blocks

Is that a DC2 card? IIRC that's what my 780 looked like with the top off. Yea it's just grease, you can wipe it off and put the thermal pad back on. 

Yep, it's just like mine. All it is is stuff from the factory, don't worry about it. 

Yes, a DC2 card. Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea on why the grease is there in the first place?

I'm not quite sure. Maybe it's just how those pads were made, maybe Asus just put a little dab of tim on the vrms (which those are). All I know is that both of my cards are doing fine with it cleaned off, just make sure that you DO reuse or use a new equivalent thermal pad.