Microsoft Surface 2

I/O

How is this device for only $299 ? Please just people that have the device let me know how it's going for you. No personal opinions if you don't use the thing please.

Do not get anything with Surface RT OS.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Do not get anything with Surface RT OS.

I got Windows full license 8.1 PRO on USB

I got Windows full license 8.1 PRO on USB

Would a Tegra K4 support windows 8?  :blink:

It also has only 2GB of RAM. AFAIK Windows 8 can be a RAM hog.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

This is why I am asking only people that know what they are talking about. Speculation sucks LOL.

This is why I am asking only people that know what they are talking about. Speculation sucks LOL.

>Implies I don't know what I'm talking about

>Was talking to someone earlier who said that Windows 8 would have a hard time on 2GB RAM.

Tegra is a mobile processor. You never mentioned whether the license was 64 or 32 bit.

Also looks like not many people have tried W8 on an S2.

If I didn't know what I was talking about I wouldn't be talking.

This might help:

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-1-on-a-surface-making-a-good-device-even-better-7000022439/

Starts tread and get no information LOL. Perhaps nobody uses a Surface device.

Starts tread and get no information LOL. Perhaps nobody uses a Surface device.

Nope, I am just late to most threads lol. I personally don't have a Surface 2, but my ex has one(so hopefully this counts? lol). As a tablet/iPad like device, its not bad. It has a web browser, plays music/videos, and can download apps from an appstore, but thats about it. It uses a Nvidia Tegra(don't care enough to look up the exact one), but this means that it can only run ARM OS's(bootloader might be locked, not sure) and applications. Overall its smooth..err, it just doesn't lag a lot(its not smooth, but not a laggy POS either). It can run full office if thats needed, but anything else will have to come from the Windows store(a bit limited IMO). Its battery is good enough for most peoples usage, but it certainly won't last as long as the iPad. Its build quality is great and the screen is decent, but honestly this tablet doesn't stand out in any way. As a basic tablet, its a pretty decent device, but for $299 you can get much better(like something that runs full windows, or Android, or even an iPad). Personally I would avoid it, but thats just me.

lel no. Tegra is mobile only. Well it only supports Windows RT AFAIK. I personally hate the chip since Tegra 3 was such a mess. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I am getting one for school, the fact that it can't run games only makes it better for professional use imo. 

I had one for a while and it was pretty good.

RT is limited, I know.

lel no. Tegra is mobile only. Well it only supports Windows RT AFAIK. I personally hate the chip since Tegra 3 was such a mess. 

I think there might be an upgrade or something for RT, I googled "Surface 2 and Windows 8" and some interesting things came up.

I think there might be an upgrade or something for RT, I googled "Surface 2 and Windows 8" and some interesting things came up.

I'm fairly certain that the Tegra 4 processor will support RT only. The Intel Core ix variant has support for Windows 8/8.1. Although which version is I/O looking at? The one running Windows RT or the one running Windows 8?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I'm fairly certain that the Tegra 4 processor will support RT only. The Intel Core ix variant has support for Windows 8/8.1. Although which version is I/O looking at? The one running Windows RT or the one running Windows 8?

You mean the Surface 2 Pro? I'm assuming the regular because he didn't say anything about the pro.

You mean the Surface 2 Pro? I'm assuming the regular because he didn't say anything about the pro.

The Pro has the Intel processor and supports Win8.1.

The non-Pro has the Tegra processor and supports WinRT

Nope, I am just late to most threads lol. I personally don't have a Surface 2, but my ex has one(so hopefully this counts? lol). As a tablet/iPad like device, its not bad. It has a web browser, plays music/videos, and can download apps from an appstore, but thats about it. It uses a Nvidia Tegra(don't care enough to look up the exact one), but this means that it can only run ARM OS's(bootloader might be locked, not sure) and applications. Overall its smooth..err, it just doesn't lag a lot(its not smooth, but not a laggy POS either). It can run full office if thats needed, but anything else will have to come from the Windows store(a bit limited IMO). Its battery is good enough for most peoples usage, but it certainly won't last as long as the iPad. Its build quality is great and the screen is decent, but honestly this tablet doesn't stand out in any way. As a basic tablet, its a pretty decent device, but for $299 you can get much better(like something that runs full windows, or Android, or even an iPad). Personally I would avoid it, but thats just me.

That's for the input. I realize now that I must go with the Surface Pro and not the RT if I want a fully functioning OS and computer.