Nikon 35mm f1.8G sharpness

SeanAngelo

So I bought a Nikon 35mm f1.8g lens today (previously 18-55mm kit) to go with my Nikon D5100. I'm not gonna lie, I am impressed by the build quality, however, the only thing I was confused about was the sharpness at f1.8, It wasn't what I was expecting, the pictures are.... blurry? I was hoping for it to be a lot sharper.

Does anyone know the sweet spot to get the sharpest quality?

Thanks in advance,

Sean.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Well try for yourself. Go down a stop, take a picture then repeat till you get to f5.6 and then look at the images on your computer.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

They're probably blurry because the depth of field is super small. You just need to practice focusing. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Without an example picture its difficult to answer.

Like Fate said at 1.8 there is a low depth of field, and depends did you get the 35mm 1.8g or the DX version, your focal length etc would be different. for DX version on a D5100 should be at F4

...and depends did you get the 35mm 1.8g or the DX version, your foacl length etc would be different.

What?

there is 2 35mm 1.8G, the 35mm 1.8G DX AF-s and the 35mm 1.8G ED AF-s ( DX is nikons APS-C line, and the other is a FF lens), with that said putting a FF lens on a DX body (D5100) means the focal length would actually be 50mm and not 35mm.

there is 2 35mm 1.8G, the 35mm 1.8G DX AF-s and the 35mm 1.8G ED AF-s ( DX is nikons APS-C line, and the other is a FF lens), with that said putting a FF lens on a DX body (D5100) means the focal length would actually be 50mm and not 35mm.

And why should the focal length be different? They are both 35mm lenses.

They are different cause putting a FF lens on a cropped sensor would make it a larger focal length. 

They are different cause putting a FF lens on a cropped sensor would make it a larger focal length.

No, the focal length is a physical property of the lens which is always the same.

If the lens is calculated for an 35mm Sensor or an APS-C doesn't change its focal length.

Sorry I'm not the best describer but here is a somewhat short post about it

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/content/field-view-how-your-lens-and-sensor-collaborate

That's a completely different thing.

yes you are right, but putting a 35mm sensor lens(fullframe) onto a APS-C body would change the field of view (what focal length the picture would be on equivalent APS-C lens) which is why they show the 2 pictures on the bottom, of copurse all this has nothing to do with the depth of view much 

yes you are right, but putting a 35mm sensor lens(fullframe) onto a APS-C body would change the field of view...

It doesn't need to be a 35mm sensor lens.

An APS-C lens is having a narrower fov on an APS-C sensor too. If you could mount it (which is sometimes possible) on a 35mm camera the fov would be bigger.

exactly. Why I started talking about the Dx and the FF 35mm 1.8G was cause the both have different sweet spot for best quality, I just wanted to know which one he/she has to give the right answer

Like Fate said at 1.8 there is a low depth of field, and depends did you get the 35mm 1.8g or the DX version, your focal length etc would be different. for DX version on a D5100 should be at F4

damn, so im losing all that light entering the lens just to get the best sharpness out of the lens.

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Yes, thats is right, tho if you have the non Dx version i believe the best sharpness point is f2.8.

Yes, thats is right, tho if you have the non Dx version i believe the best sharpness point is f2.8.

the 35mm fx version is like over 500 dollars :(

Old Rig

I can't really tell where you can find deals in UK, but US/CAN you sometimes find them brand new as low as $200USD ( most times lens even just released are cheaper in north america), or you can look for it used

i use my 50 1.8 at 2.8 all of the time because at 1.8 the camera will find it very hard to focus just look at this picture of mine at 2.8 how small the focusing plane is

ddj6g.JPG

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER