What CPU should I buy?

Okay guys, I have been wondering which CPU to get, 8350 or 3770k, My current gaming rig will be sold to someone, it has an i7 2600 but it is OEM (HP).

The motherboard choices would be: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H for intel, and an Asus Crosshair Formula-z for AMD.

If I went AMD I would be getting an OCZ Vector SSD and faster ram (1866 Mhz G.Skill Ripjaws)

If I went Intel I would be using a cheap Seagate for storage and slower RAM (Some random 1333Mhz)

As you can see I am having trouble working out what to go for, I think I would get a generally better experience with the AMD system. Is the 3770k worth bothering with if I can''t afford better parts to go with it.

The 2600 is still great! There's no need to sell it if the rig is for gaming! If you're set on upgrading though, I would probably go with Intel... In my opinion the other better parts don't come close to making up the performance difference between the 8350 and the 3770k. RAM is really cheap, you should be able to get 1600Mhz for not much more than 1333 (might depend on the capacity though).

Actually what you can do is get the 3570k or the 3570 which has more then enough processing power and still get faster ram or a SSD.

What do you plan on using your new rig for?

The 2600 is still great! There's no need to sell it if the rig is for gaming! If you're set on upgrading though' date=' I would probably go with Intel... In my opinion the other better parts don't come close to making up the performance difference between the 8350 and the 3770k. RAM is really cheap, you should be able to get 1600Mhz for not much more than 1333 (might depend on the capacity though). [/quote']

Yes, the 2600 is great, but the OEM motherboard is limiting what I can do to just about nothing, it has no space to work in (there is literally NO SPACE for cable management at all), the temps are horrible (~80 C for my CPU, and 85 for my GPU under load).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03023321#N472

I am looking at the 8350 with a HEAVY overclock (as high as I can get stable) because the scores, at stock for cinebench are: 2600 6.87 and 6.88 on the 8350, I don't need more power, I just don't want to have less than I started with. And if I want to render 1080p video, it beats an 3570 and will be about the same as my old rig.

The 2600 is still great! There's no need to sell it if the rig is for gaming! If you're set on upgrading though' date=' I would probably go with Intel... In my opinion the other better parts don't come close to making up the performance difference between the 8350 and the 3770k. RAM is really cheap, you should be able to get 1600Mhz for not much more than 1333 (might depend on the capacity though). [/quote'] Yes, the 2600 is great, but the OEM motherboard is limiting what I can do to just about nothing, it has no space to work in (there is literally NO SPACE for cable management at all), the temps are horrible (~80 C for my CPU, and 85 for my GPU under load). http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03023321#N472

You could replace the motherboard. Also, what CPU cooler do you have?

I don't think you need a new CPU, just upgrade parts around it such as the motherboard, ram, and CPU cooler.

^ Agreed with dchen12, the CPU is not your problem. And from what I know, the 8350 will only barely beat a 3570k in heavily threaded use (and not by much). If it's between the 8350 and 3770k, the i7 will win any day. But if you want a lower budget to upgrade other parts (3570k vs 8350), there won't be a hugely noticeable difference anyway. So it just comes down to personal preference at that level

The 3470 / 3350P is around that $180 price, and not even an overclocked 8350 could beat the 3470.

The 2600 is still great! There's no need to sell it if the rig is for gaming! If you're set on upgrading though, I would probably go with Intel... In my opinion the other better parts don't come close to making up the performance difference between the 8350 and the 3770k. RAM is really cheap, you should be able to get 1600Mhz for not much more than 1333 (might depend on the capacity though).

but its an hp, its most likely a complete and udder fail, hp can mess everything any anything up

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

get a cheaper processor and put that in the hp and put the i7-2600 in your new rig if you can

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

There is no reason to go with a K-series processor with your motherboard due to the fact that it is likely locked for overclocking - meaning that the K-series won't have any advantage over a non-K. As others have said, your processor is perfectly fine and there is no reason to upgrade it. If you're looking to upgrade at all, moving to an SSD along with a better GPU is your best option (personal opinion!) Keep in mind you really won't see any performance differences between 1333/1600/1866 memory unless you are using a RAMDisk with 24GB+ of memory, and so there's really no reason to spend the extra cash.

Upgrading to a better CPU heatsink would be a great idea in order to cut down your temperatures- at 80C+ you can decrease your processor's life expectancy. Keep in mind you do NOT need to upgrade to something like a Noctua! With a locked processor, and not being able to overclock, even a $40 heatsink will be a world's difference to your stock cooler. A CM Hyper 212 is a great option for its price.

You are not getting the point, the HP is going to someone else, if you read the first post properly, you will understand what I am trying to say. I will probably go with the AMD because of an easy future upgrade path, also AMD CPUs are cheaper so I can upgrade whenever I like (money is TIGHT). With the intel CPU, an upgrade after ivy would cost me a load of money and the sockets only stick around for ~2 years. Whatever happens I will be using a Thermaltake water 2.0 extreme cooler

Go with the 3570 Non-K series CPU. The straight 3570 is much cheaper than the 3770k and will do just fine for gaming and the like.

The Ivy bridge platform will not be out dated for a very long time to come. Just realize that the newer Ivy bridge is not going to

perform the same as your current 2600. Even if you went with the 3770. 2600 out does it. Ivy bridge just gets to hot.

Sorry to say but buying AMD platform CPU now is simply a waste of time and money. Even if its cheaper then Intel?

The technology is going backwards to buy AMD CPU now. If you go from a 2600 to a 8350, would be criminal. Not to mention

just plan silly. That would be like owning a Audi and wanting to upgrade and then go buy a Toyota. As it stands anyway, you will

be getting less anyway because of the heat issue with Ivy. Although, you are gaining a generation from Sandy to Ivy, so thats

always a good thing. I personally have the 3770K and I am at 4.6Ghz Basic O.C. I haven't tried yet but I have heard you can get up to

5.0Ghz water cooling, which I am also running. Good Luck to you.

Yes of course you need to get rid of that HP piece of crap :P those who disagree might not understand how bad proprietary systems are for case management and temps (along with cheaper hardware).

If you do a lot of video editing/encoding, yes a 8320/8350 will have very good value but an i5 will be much better at pretty much anything else (specially gaming and single threading apps).

An i7 is best of both worlds tho, hence his high price.

Sincere apologies, I was fairly tired when I wrote the post and was a little thrown off by the other replies. While it's true that Intel sockets change fairly often, the single-threaded performance of Intel processors is generally quite a bit higher than AMD processors. The 8350 overall does have more raw performance (due to having 8 physical cores) and from there is a better option for 3D Rendering and video encoding (although that's debatable due to GPU acceleration).

What I'll suggest is, if you don't need 8 physical/logical cores from an i7 or and 8350, to go with something lower such as an i5 3570K. They have absolutely fantastic gaming performance. Of course, I don't mean to say the 8350 doesn't, it's simply better suited for highly threaded applications (such as Cinebench, which is not a real-world benchmark.)

It's up to personal opinion, Intel vs. AMD is a fairly controversial (and honestly, a fairly dumb argument). They both perform great and they both can overclock well. The 8350 uses significantly more power and isn't really useful for the majority of gamers/PC users. The Thermaltake cooler should be able to handle most overclocks.

Once again, I apologize for my incompetent reading abilities at the time!

P.S. The 8350 or i5 should last a minimal of 3 years. The performance of Phenom II X6 processors and i7 920 cores still do whatever people need today, the same will go for today's processors 3-5 years from now. You shouldn't have to worry about having to upgrade for quite a while.