1080p vs 1440p

Texhnlyze

isn't 55 FOV really narrow ? I thought the higher the FOV number the more viewing area you can see ?

It's a joke :)

yup. 55 will be like looking through binoculars but stretched out to fill the screen. Console ports often came with locked FOV that were around 55-65 degrees. It has become better lately, yet still many games only go up to 90 horizontal, which is not enough for 21:9 monitor at a normal viewing distance

It has become better lately, yet still many games only go up to 90 horizontal, which is not enough for 21:9 monitor at a normal viewing distance

Well that would be an extreme amount of personal opinion. With 21:9 you would inherently have a much higher FOV just by default.

IMO at 27" or below 1440p for productivity is a must have however if you mainly use your computer for gaming I think 1080p with some AA is fine. It depends on the system and games you play too, if you have a fairly powerful system just go with 1440p but if you've got a upper-mid range system or below I would stick with 1080p because you will either have to sacrifice frame rate or details at 1440p on the more demanding games.

I cant speak to >27" as I don't have one but I'd have to assume 1440p makes a notably bigger difference when you start getting up and above 32".

Well that would be an extreme amount of personal opinion. With 21:9 you would inherently have a much higher FOV just by default.

You wouldn't see more of the game if the software only renders a very narrow FOV. It doesn't scale with the screen by default, only though application settings. 

check out one of Totalbiscuits videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDq_qvsKUA

Needless to say the effect will be even worse on a 21:9 aspect ratio

i would say 1440p is worth it, i switched from 1080p to a korean 1440p monitor and it's great, you have less aliasing than when you are on 1080p and visually it's just beautiful

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410