Looking to buy good headphones in <€170/$200 range

Centurius

Hey everyone,

After having listened for years on my old Sony wireless headphones the batteries on those rapidly losing energy as well as increased interference from other devices I am looking for some new headphones.

Right now I am using the onboard chip(Maximus VI Hero so one of those Realtek SupremeFX chips) however I do intend to upgrade to a more dedicated external dac/amp in a few months. As I currently have a Samson Meteor mic I really don't need a headset at all and can focus on just some really good sounding headphones.

When it comes to usage I do use my headphones for a large array of things; music, tv shows/movies and games. I also don't have a particular genre I favour or listen to most so something a bit neutral does seem preferrable. As there are plenty of people around me most of the time it is also important that sound won't escape the headphones too much as to avoid becoming a nuisance. Of course I also shouldn't be in a completely different world so to say with nothing on the outside being able to get through at the lower volume levels.

Reading this forum and a few others I've found the ATH-M50X and HD 598. While I am partial to Sennheiser due to past experiences with in-ears I'm not committed to the brand and wouldn't mind at all going for a different one.

As I am a noob to the whole audio game I'd really appreciate any advice you could give :)

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Something from AKG, Sennheiser, audio-technica, or Beyerdynamic, but like Kendo suggested, wait for sale season to over to be sure you ain't missing out on anything.

Okay thank you, I will do that :) So with what I want would you recommend going for open or closed?

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Open is always better unless there's enough nose in your listening environment to justify sound isolation.