Obvious Card at Fault - RMA Return saying Nope...

SkilledRebuilds

Please have a read to gain traction of the event.

But... Just got back this card from RMA, NO FAULTS FOUND..

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2339383#r20

Wall of TEXT!!

TL:DR
RMA'd many times already, all similar issue card failures, backup/alternative cards working flawless, not just in my machine, but others as well, only the adaptive P-state cards are causing issues (290)

I have the Gigabyte R9-290 OC (4GD is in the model number, Windforce edition, bought at the start of the year just after release)

The thing is, this is my 7TH RMA this year of this Gigabyte 290-OC

I had a LOT of standard issues @ stock clocks (BSOD/Artifacting/Weird Scanlines) whether just from the transition of Booting>Windows Login screen.

Or, after gaming..for hours mind you... then leaving the game, upon the clocks moving to the idle state that is variable but close to (300/150) it would then give me those issues. (Esp when the card is still heated/warmed to past 55*C+) when I leave the game.

I believe it's AMD Powerplay at fault, when the memory clock jumps to 1250Mhz, and maybe the voltage required for that isn't raising in SYNC, and then basically it dies in the arse.

I can ONLY get around this by using MSI to disable Powerplay, and forcing MAX clocks (1040/1250) + the now defaulted HIGH voltage constantly, this is certainly not ideal. Idle temps of 50-55*c!!!

Within weeks if this 'workaround' it started to fail again causing BSOD no matter what driver I loaded (13.11>all the way to latest official AND beta's separately)

I had a 50/50 shot of booting Windows at ANY point from a cold boot, if it failed I had to use DDU to remove all driver traces, and install another set, this didn't always work however, still having scanlines/BSOD's upon booting...

HAD to RMA it, I have 3 months left of my 1yr warranty with MSY, the card comes with a 3 year Gigabyte Warranty, but I'm so pissed off...

Needless to say this last time I RMA'd (15 days ago) I bought a 270x, and it's been FLAWLESS.

These 290 series cards with their adaptive performance states are whats killing it, having my HD7950 from Gigabyte be flawless (with FIXED performance states of 300/150, 500/1250, 1000/1250) and thats it..

My 270x has FIXED performance states too, 300/150, 500,1250 and 1070/1400

Zero issues on THIS machine with any other card, my 290 failed in my brothers PC (which usually houses his 7950), my 270x also works great in other systems I use to test.

I am never buying Gigabyte again, I did originally because my HD7950 was the TITS, an epic card that worked great, but when Games @ high AA (which I like to use) started to show its sub 50fps performance, I figured the 290 was an epic choice.

Regardless, This Gigabyte 290 has been MORE than a headache, and when I get this back from them (the RMA) I have NO DOUBT it will have issues.
(Note – My original one had ELP memory chips, 2nd one had Hynix) so it wasn't an issue of that, but ALL have had the SAME issues... Gigabyte certainly screwed the pooch with their 290's.

/Edit – Forgot to mention, Hardware swaps,...I have also swapped my 650w CM PSU for an EVGA 750w and issues still remained, My 2600K died meaning I bought a new 4690+Z97 Mobo, the 290 had issues regardless of using my 2600K system and my new one.

FML! RMA'ing AGAIN!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

How did that happen? Are you sure you're not doing something? I'm not experienced with RMAs, but I'd like to know why that is. Could there be something wrong with your power supply?

If all else false, you can always lawyer up.

How did what happen? So many cards fail?

For that I have NFI, but I'm not overclocking these at all. (Only the original #1 was OC'd)

I'm doing normal user operation as intended.

Put GPU in, do clean driver install, play games as intended, leaving the game and back to desktop = hardlocking or scanline artifacts/bsod

Has issues over time, do testing of different drivers (ALL drivers going from 13.11 to current, Both Beta & Official)..re-producing errors, RMA.

Have already changed PSU's/RAM & Complete system format and re-install of OS and tested in other machines, all having no effect, has issues no matter what i do.

I'm picking up the return in a few hours.

Am going to video the whole install process and no doubt have issues, at least I'll have video proof of the issues when I send it back for another RMA later on today/tomorrow (if it has issues, which I believe it will)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz