Using my laptop for steam streaming question

NumeroSieben

Hey there everyone,

At the moment I have a ROG Swift monitor for my new build coming, but for the time being i'm actually stuck on a temporary 1024x768 monitor for my system just until it arrives. Regardless, i have a laptop with a radeon mobility 5650 and an i7 of some variety (i forgot its exact name i apologise). the laptop screen runs at 1366x768 which is another aspect ratio altogether, and i want to stream to my TV which is either 720p or 1080p 

So before i even begin resolutions are absolutely all over the place. its not a 1080p system streaming to a box that's hooked up to a 1080p tv or anything simple like that. I'm quite fond of building computers and will be upgrading this one in less than two years or building a dedicated mini ITX box for streaming at some point, but for now i'm broke and i have this laptop i can use and that's about it.

so my question is, how do i get the steam streaming going at a proper 720 or 1080p when the source computer has a different aspect ratio to the laptop, which has a lower resolution than 1080p. 

Or am i better off just lugging my PC into the living room and chucking a HDMI cable into the TV to do it directly instead of the laptop. Although this already seems like an incredibly annoying solution having to unplug absolutely everything just to get something, whether it be a game or a movie onto the TV and then have to take everything back to where the computer normally resides in a different room.

Thanks in advance,

I think you are making things way too complicated. If I read this correctly you are trying to stream your pc, to your laptop but the ratios are different. Steam (should) automatically adjust your desktop resolution to match the laptops screen. There are settings in steam to change the behavior of streaming to 1080p, 720p, or 480p. It should automatically scale it correctly.

oh good, i was worried about that in particular. if steam automatically just overrides it and streams in the right resolution that solves things