Android 5.0 Lollipop very buggy on older Nexus devices, makes 2012 Nexus 7 unusable

I'm experiencing these issues myself on my 2012 N7.  Slow to wake, sluggish in apps.  Worst part is the apps I'm having the most trouble with currently are Google's own apps.

Encryption bugs. I'm calling it now.

I wouldn't call it "bugs". Also OTA updated devices aren't encrypted by default. Devices sold with 5.0 installed are.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8725/encryption-and-storage-performance-in-android-50-lollipop

The Nexus 5 is also running without FDE enabled, as it will not enable itself by default when updating to Lollipop via an OTA update.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

I've been having a problem with netflix where the video would randomly stutter. It's the only app that does it. I have a 16gb Nexus 7 2012.

Nexus 7 2013 too

Now I am having the not playing video bug

post-160594-0-88635300-1417011603_thumb.

It just hit me a few moments ago. Has anyone who is having issues with lagging, slow wake up etc. tried doing a FDR? I know with some phones it would do wonders after a large update like that. I always do that when an update like this comes down, and I noticed no one had mentioned it. 

My 2012 N7 works fine so long as you don't keep a bunch of apps running... which really is the same as it was pre-Lollipop. 

Still on 4.4.4 here and have noticed way better standby battery life on my 2012N7 over the last 3 days or so. I am inclined to believe that the power savings others are noticing are the result of a particular app or apps being updated, and less so because of the OS specifically.