Buzzing noise coming from my Corsair AX860

I had a XFX PSU that burnt a chip on my graphics card. Whenever I had focus on a game (game window), there would be a buzz noise coming from the speakers. I had to replace the PSU, motherboard and graphics card.

It had been around 7 months with no issues (no buzzing noise) until last night. I discovered a buzz noise that is coming from the speakers and the PSU itself.

Is this normal? If not, am I fucked? What should I do? Sell them?

It is really hard to say when it started to happen but I think it was because I ran a somewhat beefy game (it was World of Warcraft Molten Core instance, with high/good settings [not ultra]). The game was lagging (graphically wise) a bit.

On a side note: I can't believe a PSU from fucking China has better product quality than from Corsair. I had a Dell, almost everything was from China, and I never had any problems like these before. Unbelievable. 

It is OK and will probs not affect you computer however if it annoys you go get a new PSU (not corsair).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

It's coil whine, it's perfectly harmless and won't affect your PC in any way, at best it'll get you pissed off. Your speakers buzzing indicate a bad ground connection.

The psu is manufactured by seasonic, which is the best quality there is imo. I've never had a problem with my ax860

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

It is OK and will probs not affect you computer however if it annoys you go get a new PSU (not corsair).

It's coil whine, it's perfectly harmless and won't affect your PC in any way, at best it'll get you pissed off. Your speakers buzzing indicate a bad ground connection.

I live in Mexico. Here, the electricity structure is a f-ing joke. So, yes, I do have a bad ground connection. I have 1 UPS Cyberpower dedicated to protect the PC though.

So this is normal, huh? If the buzzing noise increases, that is NOT normal, right?

The noise is coil wine. It's cause when the coil is vibrating jsut slowly enough, that it enters into the hearing range of people. All coils actually vibrate, just so fast usually it's outside of our hearing range. It's not going to cause any harm, but if you dislike it, get a new one.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

The noise is coil wine. It's cause when the coil is vibrating jsut slowly enough, that it enters into the hearing range of people. All coils actually vibrate, just so fast usually it's outside of our hearing range. It's not going to cause any harm, but if you dislike it, get a new one.

Does the coil increase over time? Or does it stay at the same level? (Volume wise)

-snip-

If your grounding connection is stupid just tape a copper wire to a piece of unpainted metal on the speaker (and probably your PC too) and tie it to a metal pole shoved into the ground.

If your grounding connection is stupid just tape a copper wire to a piece of unpainted metal on the speaker (and probably your PC too) and tie it to a metal pole shoved into the ground.

The entire PSU is covered in black. Image: http://www.corsair.com/media/catalog/product/a/x/AX860_PSU_sideview_b.png

Can I use the black screws?

The entire PSU is covered in black. Image: http://www.corsair.com/media/catalog/product/a/x/AX860_PSU_sideview_b.png

Can I use the black screws?

The PSU is technically grounded through the ground pin in the wall outlet. I'm in NYC so I use the same outlets as you guys down in Mexico. I honestly would have the electrical system checked out by a qualified electrician if you don't have a proper ground, not having a proper ground can make things get screwy really quick.

Does the coil increase over time? Or does it stay at the same level? (Volume wise)

Depends. The actual wine is caused by the magnetic field moving the wire on the coil. Over time it technically could worsen, but it's just as likely, if not more, to stay the same. It will change to a small degree when under load though, as more current is passed through the coil.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section