RAM

mrvasset

A friend of me got a pc with 8 gigs of ram installed windows(8.1) is detecting all 8GB but I can only yous 3,94GB. Got some ideas what can be the problem? 
No OC 

Thanks for answers :)

could be a compatibility issue with the ram or he's using the 32bit vers of windows. 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Typical "oh crap I accidentally installed the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit version"

happens to everyone

32bit version of windows instead of 64.

Failing that one is not plugged in properly

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

The operating system is 64 bit

Make sure both sticks of RAM are properly plugged in.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

Make sure both sticks of RAM are properly plugged in.

I tried all the different ram slots and non of changed anny thing

Try each of them on their own and boot up the PC, if it won't boot that RAM stick is broken.

Make sure the RAM are inserted correctly and they click in or that the gate things are shit propperly

RAM should be inserted like

DIMM 1  --RAM 

DIMM 2

DIMM 1  --RAM

DIMM 2

Also check in Bios if it is showing 8Gbs of RAM, of its showing 4GB then 1 RAM is not working or inserted correctly. Or you actually do have a 32 bit OS

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

Make sure the RAM are inserted correctly and they click in or that the gate things are shit propperly

RAM should be inserted like

DIMM 1  --RAM 

DIMM 2

DIMM 1  --RAM

DIMM 2

Also check in Bios if it is showing 8Gbs of RAM, of its showing 4GB then 1 RAM is not working or inserted correctly. Or you actually do have a 32 bit OS

not necessarily. actually in my board its 2 and 4.

A friend of me got a pc with 8 gigs of ram installed windows(8.1) is detecting all 8GB but I can only yous 3,94GB. Got some ideas what can be the problem? 

No OC 

Thanks for answers :)

are you looking at windows task manager? generally speaking, windows will gobble up half of the Ram and leave only half of it "available". unless you are trying to create a ram disk/cache, this shouldn't be of any concern. 

otherwise, what @mopman94 said (booting with one stick, than booting with the other stick to see if either is defective) is the decisive solution.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR