Judge my build (EDITED)

I'm building my "first" build after about 2 years. I'm deciding to build a gaming PC that would last for about 2 to 4 years and can support whatever game that is going to be released 2 to 4 years from now.

Here's the specs of the PC I'm planning to build :

Motherboard - Asus Maximus VII Hero (Reason : Since its ROG I've heard this is the best there is, at $205 price range, for overclocking. Improved BIOS etc)

CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K (Reason : Not much, well. It's a high end Haswell-based processor. Psst, it's the Devil's Canyon)

GPU - EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Reason : I'm building this to last and support new released games that are coming 2 to 4 years from now. A 980 with Maxwell architecture would probably help me along the way)

RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2x8GB (Reason : The reason it's 16GB is well I'm not just using this for gaming, I do montage editing on the side for fun and as a hobby, I run servers for me and my friends and nothing that's needing me to get 32GB. 16GB is just enough for what I do)

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold certified (Reason : Because I'm probably going to SLI when it comes to upgrading. 850W isn't really required for this build but as I said 2 to 4 years)

HDD - Western Digital Blue 1TB (Reason : Because it's the best HDD there probably is)

As far as the case itself. I'm still stuck and lost at finding a decent one at the price range of $40-$60. I'm not spending over $90 because, well, it's just the god damn case and it's not affecting the game whatsoever.

My choices for a case so far is probably the

Thermaltake Chaserhttp://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-VP300A6W2N-Chaser-A31/dp/B00BWBE87M/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1416158277&sr=1-4&pebp=1416158306140

or

Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compacthttp://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Series-Compact-CC-9011023-WW/dp/B009GXZ8MM/ref=zg_bsnr_tab_pd_bs_3

How is my build? Could it last for about 4 years of gaming? Leave your suggestion/comment/opinion on what should I change or anything related to my needs. Anything.

Here's my judgement..

kevin_hart1.jpg

Could you elaborate the specs please? or what do you want us to help with? gaming/editing rig/price limit etc..

Details separate people.

aha

Umm...?

First Build:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Black          GPU: MSI R9 270 Gaming@1050/1500         CPU: i5 4570          Motherboard: ASUS H81I Plus          PSU: Corsair CX600          RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT         Cooling: 230mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro Intake; Corsair AF140 Rear Exuast; 2x120mm Stock Case Fans Top Exuast        Storage: WD Blue 1TB          OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit

Here's my judgement..

kevin_hart1.jpg

Could you elaborate the specs please? or what do you want us to help with? gaming/editing rig/price limit etc..

I've made a mistake at the first time but I've fixed it. Sorry, there you go.

Get cheaper RAM, corsair is over rated.

Buy an mx100 256GB SSD

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Get cheaper RAM, corsair is over rated.

Buy an mx100 256GB SSD

I'm planning to get this build to last for a very long time and I'm quite happy with Corsair Vengeance. Storage-wise, it's probably better to get an SSD based on my needs. But I think I'm happy with my HDD and will probably get an SSD a long the way. Plus, it's crazy (in a good way) that the SSD is $109 on Amazon and I could get a lot more memory, 2TB, for about $80-$90 and I know why it's more expensive and is worth the money but, if its for the fast boot-ups, fast file-reading etc. I'm quite happy with a 7200RPM HDD.

I'm planning to get this build to last for a very long time and I'm quite happy with Corsair Vengeance. Storage-wise, it's probably better to get an SSD based on my needs. But I think I'm happy with my HDD and will probably get an SSD a long the way. Plus, it's crazy (in a good way) that the SSD is $109 on Amazon and I could get a lot more memory, 2TB, for about $80-$90 and I know why it's more expensive and is worth the money but, if its for the fast boot-ups, fast file-reading etc. I'm quite happy with a 7200RPM HDD.

RAM is RAM.

Trust me, you NEED an SSD.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I've made a mistake at the first time but I've fixed it. Sorry, there you go.

Dont worry about it, it's hard to grip on to these things first hand, About the build, it's quite well made, it's more than a decent build, Only thing that build is lacking is the SSD storage, with that kind of CPU & Motherboard it'd be quite old skool setup if there's no ssd to backup that uberness..

Details separate people.

Dont worry about it, it's hard to grip on to these things first hand, About the build, it's quite well made, it's more than a decent build, Only thing that build is lacking is the SSD storage, with that kind of CPU & Motherboard it'd be quite old skool setup if there's no ssd to backup that uberness..

What difference could it make? I'm not quite sure why it desperately NEEDS an SSD. I mean it's not that it's bad but 50% of the people I've talked about it said it would need an SSD, and the other half said an HDD would work just fine. I could get both and add $110 to my budget but. I really need to know why.

RAM is RAM.

Trust me, you NEED an SSD.

^ This. Just get some HyperX Fury RAM.. It's cheap, looks nice, affordable, and you'll be able to get a nice SSD that doesn't seem like much, but once you use one, you do not want to go back.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Could you elaborate more on why I NEED an SSD.

FASTER EVERYTHING

The HDD is such a bottleneck

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

FASTER EVERYTHING

I guess "FASTER EVERYTHING" would be a nice reason for it. But, how is the HDD bottleneck-ing my performance, in-game/editing and it's not like I'm running Far Cry 4 and rendering a video at 1080p while running a server and streaming at the same time (which doesn't really affect the ssd but, you get me). Trust me, I see the difference, HUGE difference it makes when comparing SSD to HDD. But other than faster file-reading and system boot-up and all the fast things it does, I'd still stick with the HDD for now and that's not saying I'm never going to get an SSD but I'm just spending the money more on the Mobo, GPU, CPU because that is the important things that will affect the GAMING PERFORMANCE itself. Yes, I will get an SSD in the future but, for now the HDD would be fine.

Well, read what I've replied to H4X3R

Alright, it's up to you. Enjoy your build, have fun.

What difference could it make? I'm not quite sure why it desperately NEEDS an SSD. I mean it's not that it's bad but 50% of the people I've talked about it said it would need an SSD, and the other half said an HDD would work just fine. I could get both and add $110 to my budget but. I really need to know why.

Okay so basics : it has faster data transfer rates since it's much much faster components (similar to ram) than spinning drives usually use this for your prior drive for Operating system & program's etc..uses & take full advantage of sata 3 ports in your mobo

Advantage:

• faster boot times (boot up in about 8 seconds or so compared to hard drives 17-30+ second)
  • Drive does not heat up(cooler overall system)
  • no moving parts so no noise from it whatsoever or jittery motion like spinning hrd drives make
  • uses & takes advantage of sata 3 ports with transfer rates upto 2x the spinning hdd rates
  • Game maps load up ridiculously fast (also improvement in game performance but it's noticeable not dramatic)
  • faster application launches (adobe/media encoder)
  • more smoother workflow (noticeable speed bump compared to spin drives)
  • you can get in & start whatever you do in less time if you're in a hurry

also Disadvantes:

• Cost far more with lower capacity compared to spinny drives
  • capacity is an issue right now also price per gig thingy is heavy in comparison
  • shouldn't be defragged, files could potentially become unrecoverable in certain scenarios
  • if the drive starts to give up it won't show any signs (unlike mech hddd makin gnoise or random freeze here & there before giving up)

I'd say that should explain why you kinda need this, also do pick out the right ones..in short it's an investment like you could have gone for an entry level mobo, but this one has its benefits right? same rules apply here..Hope this helps..

Details separate people.

id give it a 8/10

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

u should know its just my opinion

mobo is overpriced, rog is just a marketing hokum, any gigabyte or asus z97 mobo should work fine

gpu isn't really good bang for buck ,i would buy 970 and if required add another or replace it with better gpu 2 yearrs latter   or just wait for amd 390

future gpus seems to be power efficient so i wouldn't invest in big psu,for 2 970s 650psu should be enough

i would also suggest to add 8gb ram latter if required instead of sacrificing ssd

get bigger storage like 3tb for 99$ ,nowdays games are bigger,

FASTER EVERYTHING

Learn how to choose parts before giving someone shit feedback on their build. Also, you don't know what bottle-necks are.........

Okay so basics : it has faster data transfer rates since it's much much faster components (similar to ram) than spinning drives usually use this for your prior drive for Operating system & program's etc..uses & take full advantage of sata 3 ports in your mobo

Advantage:

• faster boot times (boot up in about 8 seconds or so compared to hard drives 17-30+ second)
  • Drive does not heat up(cooler overall system)
  • no moving parts so no noise from it whatsoever or jittery motion like spinning hrd drives make
  • uses & takes advantage of sata 3 ports with transfer rates upto 2x the spinning hdd rates
  • Game maps load up ridiculously fast (also improvement in game performance but it's noticeable not dramatic)
  • faster application launches (adobe/media encoder)
  • more smoother workflow (noticeable speed bump compared to spin drives)
  • you can get in & start whatever you do in less time if you're in a hurry

also Disadvantes:

• Cost far more with lower capacity compared to spinny drives
  • capacity is an issue right now also price per gig thingy is heavy in comparison
  • shouldn't be defragged, files could potentially become unrecoverable in certain scenarios
  • if the drive starts to give up it won't show any signs (unlike mech hddd makin gnoise or random freeze here & there before giving up)

I'd say that should explain why you kinda need this, also do pick out the right ones..in short it's an investment like you could have gone for an entry level mobo, but this one has its benefits right? same rules apply here..Hope this helps..

I've just only saw this today. I was out for a week at a friend's house. Well, I've rethink it all again and I'll probably get 8GB instead of a 16GB and probably try to get an SSD. But not if my budget isn't allowing it. Plus, I know the advantages and disadvantages. All that I'm worried about is the dollar per gb and me being me with all the movies I download, all the games a 200+gb ssd probably isn't enough and more than that would cost me a lot more than my budget allow. Plus plus, I'm still in the works of building this build, so I'll have time to decide to change anything if I want to and I can always upgrade anytime. Let's not forget that I'm building this to last me a looooooong time.