Opteron and gaming

I've searched on here but can't find a defined answer..   Why not? So what if its a cpu for workstations..  So are xeons but people use them for gaming? The other ?, I understand that games only use so many cores, but what about video cards need all the overhead, per say running quad sli..   And I guess the other obvious question is, if I were to spend that money, why not just go 2011 intel 8 core w/ HT. Well, I guess cuz I don't see it done much. I do like my AMDs over intel as well. I'm not by any means saying AMD is the best per specs out, just my choice. And the other thing is, finding sli mobo for opterons..  Just some thoughts.

For gaming it is absolutely useless. 

For server rendering and maximum core floating point performance, then yes. 

Wait, you have the 9590?! 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Retarded way to build a gaming orientated PC, you must be hooked on MOAR COARES.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

so is this a pc with main objective being gaming? because that doesnt seem to be good at all for that. either go X99 for overkill or go AM3+/Z97

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

It would offer terrible performance (low IPC of AMD's CPU architectures, without the clockspeed to make up for it like the 9590), but it could be a fun thing to do on the side.. 

Games don't really use very many cores, so generally the best choice is to have just a few fast cores rather than more slow cores.. If a game is only going to use 3-4 cores, any more cores you have are just wasted. Lower clockspeeds will only degrade performance.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

It would be utterly pointless building a gaming machine with an Opteron CPU. Most games use 4 or less cores, and therefore a high core count CPU with a low frequency is not ideal at all. It would be a complete waste of money.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have a friend with an opteron and custom water loop that he got up to 6.4ishghz stable. He also has 2 295x2s and pushes like 300fps in bf4 ultra. Its an insane rig.

Can you even overclock them?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

the cool thing of the Opterons cpu is that you can use motherboards with two (or more) Opterons also 

but back on the topic, it be a fun build  ^_^

the G32 cpus have 12 cores max

and the G34 cpus have 16 cores max (as far as i know)

and with some dual motherboards G32 you can have a 24 cores machine (cool) 

i personally think that all +18 cores machines are the best of the best (but this is just me)  :ph34r:

this is exactly what I would do, dual opterons for sure, maybe even pop for a quad opteron mobo, tho, finding a quad opteron mobo with lots of pcie slots seems to be hard. maybe I just haven't look hard enough yet..

this is exactly what I would do, dual opterons for sure, maybe even pop for a quad opteron mobo, tho, finding a quad opteron mobo with lots of pcie slots seems to be hard. maybe I just haven't look hard enough yet..

This makes a lot more sense to me now, just a side project? cool ;)

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

I really have no use for it but to just be a media server, way over kill, but it'd be fun. Figure maybe throw a decent video card/cards in it and see how it does too. Older opterons are reasonable price. Not looking for crazy server setup, just something fun to build. I haven't had a media server since forever, and having my gaming pc on all the time just to stream off of is not the best all the time. Last server I had was a dual slot 1 intel P3 450. ran win2k server and knew the basics. Just be fun to setup media storage and maybe a ftp to get to outside of home.

The 6200 series 16 core G34 aren't too bad priced now. I found a place that has water blocks...  this is all just things I'm thinking about. this will be months in the works when I get down to it.

this will be a awesome build guide friend  :)

just need to find a dual motherboard G32 or G34

but is great  ^_^

fe11e11c702d1562f08047a75691c916.jpeg

(i love G34 socket)