Can you make an illegal version of Windows 7 legal by buying it?

Calavera

Hi guys.

Before anyone tells me this forum isn't meant to spread the use of pirated copies, this is an attempt to end up on the right side of the law.

"My friend" may or may not have pirated a copy of Windows 7 Basic and he recently bought a legal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Can I... Uhh I mean he, just do the "anytime upgrade" like anyone with a legal copy would and activate his genuine version to Ultimate?

Anyone got experience with stepping away from pirating?

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Hi guys.

Before anyone tells me this forum isn't meant to spread the use of pirated copies, this is an attempt to end up on the right side of the law.

"My friend" may or may not have pirated a copy of Windows 7 Basic and he recently bought a legal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Can I... Uhh I mean he, just do the "anytime upgrade" like anyone with a legal copy would and activate his genuine version to Ultimate?

Think so. You can give it a try.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Hi guys.

Why not just: save all necessary files and do a clean install? 

But also, when you have those files saved, make sure you scan it with all the good scanners to make sure nothing dodgy came back with it..better be safe than sorry!

EDIT: Here is a link to a a few methods that work for installing the "upgrade edition" without having a previous edition on there: 

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

I'm personally a fan of double installing..because It's just funny. 

Install the Win 7 ultrimate, basically don't put a key in and install it in trial mode, 

then go back boot up windows ultimate cd and then when it checks for a version of windows..guess what's there! 

Then this time you put in your CD key do the gangnam style. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Depends on what pirated version he may or may not using. Pirated versions usually have some kind of a ''unlocker'' in them, so they seem legal and they don't let you upgrade. You usually have to format and install the legal version.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Hi guys.

It probably has Daz loader installed, and if it has then just find it and delete it. Then you PC will be recognizes as running on a trial version. After that just enter the serial from the box and that should do it :D

I wouldn't risk key loss if windows has some kind of protection and recognizes that as misuse...

I'm not sure if the anytime upgrade will work, but a oem key for the version he has should.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers