Black Friday/Cyber Monday build check

soggyfatman

I have posted a build many times but i am finally doing it. Mainly because I am forcing myself to upgrade. Up for suggestions however.

Budget/Location: $1800 USD/Texas (near a microcenter) os and cpu cooler I already own

Aim: Maxing out 1080p gaming 

Monitors: 2 screens total. Main screen will be an Asus VG248QE, will be buying but it is not in the build/budget. 2nd screen is some 21in LG garbage ive had for years, just used for simple things. Only will game on the Asus.

Peripherals: I have the keyboard, mouse, headset, and junk taken care of

Why: Standard sob story about a boy who is trying to game on an old laptop from 2008 and wants something more because he can now. This time it is no more talk and actual doing and the first time I will get to game on 1080p.

Build is there: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/soggyfatman/saved/dxG2FT

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($368.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $1695.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-19 11:58 EST-0500

Will pick up cpu and mobo at microcenter for cheaper prices because of combo deal going on. I know the cpu is too much for gaming but the idea is that a cpu and mobo are the hardest parts to upgrade on a build so why not go big now when I have the money. Open for suggestion on the mobo though, i know its pricey but its a solid board.

Idea is to go with 1080p gaming for now and wait for better priced 1440p or 4k screens to come out and then sli the 970 or get a new card.

the ssd is too much i know but i want it!!! I may just go the 1tb route... 

Can anyone suggest another psu? i would have gone with the evga g2 850w (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20850xr) but its size is too long for a 140mm bottom fan mount in the r4. I will probably be getting the r5 anyhow so the case purchase will wait as long as any extra fans and potentially the psu.

Dude .. u should drop the I7 to an I5 and get a 980 .... just saying ... But everything looks fine besides that.

Drop the 850 pro and get an 840 Evo, MX100, or SP900.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I have posted a build many times but i am finally doing it. Mainly because I am forcing myself to upgrade. Up for suggestions however.

Budget/Location: $1800 USD/Texas (near a microcenter) os and cpu cooler I already own

Aim: Maxing out 1080p gaming 

Monitors: 2 screens total. Main screen will be an Asus VG248QE, will be buying but it is not in the build/budget. 2nd screen is some 21in LG garbage ive had for years, just used for simple things. Only will game on the Asus.

Peripherals: I have the keyboard, mouse, headset, and junk taken care of

Why: Standard sob story about a boy who is trying to game on an old laptop from 2008 and wants something more because he can now. This time it is no more talk and actual doing and the first time I will get to game on 1080p.

Build is there: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/soggyfatman/saved/dxG2FT

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($368.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $1695.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-19 11:58 EST-0500

Will pick up cpu and mobo at microcenter for cheaper prices because of combo deal going on. I know the cpu is too much for gaming but the idea is that a cpu and mobo are the hardest parts to upgrade on a build so why not go big now when I have the money. Open for suggestion on the mobo though, i know its pricey but its a solid board.

Idea is to go with 1080p gaming for now and wait for better priced 1440p or 4k screens to come out and then sli the 970 or get a new card.

the ssd is too much i know but i want it!!! I may just go the 1tb route... 

Can anyone suggest another psu? i would have gone with the evga g2 850w (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20850xr) but its size is too long for a 140mm bottom fan mount in the r4. I will probably be getting the r5 anyhow so the case purchase will wait as long as any extra fans and potentially the psu.

An i5 4690k would be a much better suit for you instead of an i7, you dont need an i7 for gaming.

WHy the need for another PSU? Seasonic is a great PSU maker, and 750W is way way more than enough to power even 3 ways SLI 970 or 980 (not that I ever recommend going 3 ways)

You could drop the Mobo to a MSI Z97 G45 or Gaming 5 from either MSI or Gigabyte if you dont use all the function the Hero offer.

Your SSD choice is kinda crazy, mind telling me why the need for such a big SSD?

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

An i5 4690k would be a much better suit for you instead of an i7, you dont need an i7 for gaming.

WHy the need for another PSU? Seasonic is a great PSU maker, and 750W is way way more than enough to power even 3 ways SLI 970 or 980 (not that I ever recommend going 3 ways)

You could drop the Mobo to a MSI Z97 G45 or Gaming 5 from either MSI or Gigabyte if you dont use all the function the Hero offer.

Your SSD choice is kinda crazy, mind telling me why the need for such a big SSD?

Dude .. u should drop the I7 to an I5 and get a 980 .... just saying ... But everything looks fine besides that.

I figured a comment about the i7 would show up. Both of you are correct, the i5 is a much better choice for the money. However, Arma 3 can use hyper threading, and I like to play it. I also want to assume more games will come out in the future that will use more hyperthreading functions so its a dumb gamble. I completely understand the 4690k, but I am choosing another route at the moment.

As for the PSU, I know seasonic makes great PSU's. Top notch stuff. EVGA makes comparable at a lesser cost.

Thanks for the mobo recommendations. 

And that ssd... It is too much, I know. Reasons? not sure if i have any other than want is greater than need.

When I went to MicroCenter and built my brothers pc, they had a deal where if you bought a CPU and Motherboard combo, you got $10 off RAM and an SSD. Not sure if they are doing it still.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

When I went to MicroCenter and built my brothers pc, they had a deal where if you bought a CPU and Motherboard combo, you got $10 off RAM and an SSD. Not sure if they are doing it still.

cool thanks for the tip

cool thanks for the tip

Just be aware microcenter ssd prices usually suck. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just be aware microcenter ssd prices usually suck. 

That's what I was just thinking. I can't remember what I paid for it but at least you get to have it right then and there.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M