RAM Upgrade

leonidas694
Go to solution Solved by Shadow-R,

Get another pair of 2x2 even tho you will have no real benefit from that quad channel at least you will avoid compatibility problems.Just make sure they are the same frequency(is not the only important thing) but if you can buy the same brand of ram you have now

Terve!

This mainboard will not run the RAM in quad channel mode because is not supported.

Do not worry, it will run in dual channel mode just fine.

Hi everyone, I am planning on upgrading my ram on my PC, my motherboard has 4 ram slots which currently I have mounted 2 x 2GB in dual channel. I want to upgrade to 8GB of total ram, now my question is should I get another 2 x 2GB or can I just get a 4GB single ram stick so I have a spare slot if I need to upgrade it more in the future, and does the new ram stick gotta be the same frequency (mhz) as my other ram? This PC is mainly used for gaming so do I need to run another dual channel for better performance rather than single?

I'm confused. 

I would suggest that you get an other 2x2 GB Kit of RAM that has:

-same Frequency (higher does not give you any benefit, because you cannot run it faster)

-same required voltage

-same timings (again, you just would not get any benefit from better timings)

(-same capacity)

You cannot just put in an other 4GB Stick, because the mainboard would want to write to both cannels anyway, so half of your data gets lost and your PC dies off corrupted data.

If you find some of the RAMs that are listed here: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-b85-hd3.pdf 

that also fits all your other needs, I guess it is not a bad idea to take one of them.

I personally never had problems running different brands of RAM in a mainboard.

You can do that or you can also just buy 2x4 gb sticks and you should be go to go. To be in the safe side I personally would buy 1 of these and I wont not have to worry about anything else for a long time. 

I do not think that he shoud get 16GB of RAM right now.

If he is planning to do an other system that requires DDR3 RAM, he can think about that, but I guess you can just wait and see what the future brings.

Hope I could answer the questions.

Sayonara!

Hi everyone, I am planning on upgrading my ram on my PC, my motherboard has 4 ram slots which currently I have mounted 2 x 2GB in dual channel. I want to upgrade to 8GB of total ram, now my question is should I get another 2 x 2GB or can I just get a 4GB single ram stick so I have a spare slot if I need to upgrade it more in the future, and does the new ram stick gotta be the same frequency (mhz) as my other ram? This PC is mainly used for gaming so do I need to run another dual channel for better performance rather than single?

I'm confused. 

Hello my friend first thing is first, what kind of Mobo do you currently have? it could be that your mobo is to old to upgrade to 8gb. Also what are the specs you are running with to be able to answer your question.

My specs are as follows:

OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Motherboard Gigabyte B85-HD3

Intel Core i3-4330 CPU @ 3.50 GHz

RAM 2X2GB @ 1600Mhz

GPU ASUS R9 270X 2GB DDR5 256bit

HD WD 500GB

Get another pair of 2x2 even tho you will have no real benefit from that quad channel at least you will avoid compatibility problems.Just make sure they are the same frequency(is not the only important thing) but if you can buy the same brand of ram you have now

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

You can do that or you can also just buy 2x4 gb sticks and you should be go to go. To be in the safe side I personally would buy 1 of these and I wont not have to worry about anything else for a long time. 

Terve!

This mainboard will not run the RAM in quad channel mode because is not supported.

I'm confused. 

-same Frequency (higher does not give you any benefit, because you cannot run it faster)

-same required voltage

(-same capacity)

You cannot just put in an other 4GB Stick, because the mainboard would want to write to both cannels anyway, so half of your data gets lost and your PC dies off corrupted data.

If you find some of the RAMs that are listed here: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-b85-hd3.pdf 

that also fits all your other needs, I guess it is not a bad idea to take one of them.

If he is planning to do an other system that requires DDR3 RAM, he can think about that, but I guess you can just wait and see what the future brings.

Sayonara!

Terve!

-same required voltage

(-same capacity)

Sayonara!

OK so right now i got this kit in my pc http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104166

I cant find the same hyperx rams so i found this as a substitute http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145343

i wont have any problems right? they seem to match up good even if they are different brand.

No dude, you need to either replace your HyperX with the corsair or just stay with what you got. your hyperX are 9-9-9-27 at 1.65V. Corsair are 9-9-9-24 at 1.5V. You might performance issues.

I get it, I'll need to make sure each stick has the same CAS latency, timings, and voltage. 

ty all for ur support, peace.

OK so right now i got this kit in my pc http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104166

I cant find the same hyperx rams so i found this as a substitute http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145343

i wont have any problems right? they seem to match up good even if they are different brand.

$50 for a 2x2gb kit? That's insanely expensive. just get a 2x4GB kit for like $70