External Hard Disk Problem

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Sooo... I opened DiskInfo and this showed up. It's a 1TB Toshiba USB 3.0 external hard disk. I have about 700 gigs of memory used on it. Should I change it asap? Is it possibile to fix it by formatting? (I think not, but if you know there's a hope...). Is it possible that I ruined it by always using it on a USB 2.0 port?

Hey AVirileEgo,

CrystalDiskInfo is indicating that you have reallocated sectors which means you have bad sectors on that drive and it likely that it will fail soon. Bad sectors cannot be fixed permanently so you would have to replace that drive. I would recommend that you back up all your data from it immediately as it could fail any time. 
It is not likely that you got these problems from using USB 2.0 port. Bad sectors can occur from everything including physical damage (drops or shaking), faulty or defective drive, insecure ejecting of the drive resulting in corrupted data, etc.

I wouldn't count on that drive for safe storage of data.

Captain_WD.

Sooo... I opened DiskInfo and this showed up. It's a 1TB Toshiba USB 3.0 external hard disk. I have about 700 gigs of memory used on it. Should I change it asap? Is it possibile to fix it by formatting? (I think not, but if you know there's a hope...). Is it possible that I ruined it by always using it on a USB 2.0 port?

post-154721-0-24369000-1416394576.png

no , you can't ruin the HDD by putting it in a usb 2.0 just means that less data can be transfer; it wouldn't have affected the drive.

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Hey AVirileEgo,

CrystalDiskInfo is indicating that you have reallocated sectors which means you have bad sectors on that drive and it likely that it will fail soon. Bad sectors cannot be fixed permanently so you would have to replace that drive. I would recommend that you back up all your data from it immediately as it could fail any time. 
It is not likely that you got these problems from using USB 2.0 port. Bad sectors can occur from everything including physical damage (drops or shaking), faulty or defective drive, insecure ejecting of the drive resulting in corrupted data, etc.

I wouldn't count on that drive for safe storage of data.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Don't panic. One thing to do is run Crystal frequently (once a week) and keep track. If the sector count doesn't change then it's an indication of an "incident". Something happened and caused the issue. It "shouldn't" happen again but it certainly won't hurt to backup the data. I have had two drives that had this happen to simultaneously. They stayed the same for over a year with no effects.

Do you keep the drive on all the time? Is you power flakey? That would do it if the drive was writing just at a bad moment. Murphy's law.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!