How is FarCry 4 Optimization?

Alterlai

So, after all the jazz with Ubisoft games and their PC ports, I was wondering how the performance of FarCry 4 on a decent system is.

Before I wanted to purchase the game, I wanted to see how the game was performing. Since there is not demo availible, the only way to do that is by pirating the game (only to make sure i don't buy another shitty ubisoft pc-port game). Yes i know Ubisoft! Blame me! But honestly, the game didn't run too well. 

I had a couple issues with the shaders being bugged and a few other things. But you know, it was a pre-release version of the game. And maybe driver updates or game patches would fix the issue before launch. 

So now that the game is out, how is the performance?

For anyone interrested, specs below.

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

So, after all the jazz with Ubisoft games and their PC ports, I was wondering how the performance of FarCry 4 on a decent system is.

Before I wanted to purchase the game, I wanted to see how the game was performing. Since there is not demo availible, the only way to do that is by pirating the game (only to make sure i don't buy another shitty ubisoft pc-port game). Yes i know Ubisoft! Blame me! But honestly, the game didn't run too well. 

I had a couple issues with the shaders being bugged and a few other things. But you know, it was a pre-release version of the game. And maybe driver updates or game patches would fix the issue before launch. 

running 4670k (4.4) and 280x.  (fc4 - 1.03   Amd drivers 14.11.2Beta)

Got everything on Ultra, SSAO, Godrays: Enhanced

perma 60 fps+. Sometimes i have an fps dip to like 50  fps, not a big problem

running 4670k (4.4) and 280x.  (fc4 - 1.03   Amd drivers 14.11.2Beta)

Got everything on Ultra, SSAO, Godrays: Enhanced

perma 60 fps+. Sometimes i have an fps dip to like 50  fps, not a big problem

Are you having any shader issues?

In my case the shadows were completely black, so you couldn't see anything in the shadows. When switching to HBAO+, it was still dark but not completely black.

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro

Are you having any shader issues?

In my case the shadows were completely black, so you couldn't see anything in the shadows. When switching to HBAO+, it was still dark but not completely black.

HBAO+ is nvidia stuff, it kinda should work for you. I can use it but i lose alot fps (around 10+) for it

GodRays (enhanced) is also nvidia stuff, makes me lose few  fps. 

About shadows, i have no issues whatsoever. Did you try messing around on the color settings ingame? Try other godray setting or Amb Ocl setting and see if it persists.

HBAO+ is nvidia stuff, it kinda should work for you. I can use it but i lose alot fps (around 10+) for it

GodRays (enhanced) is also nvidia stuff, makes me lose few  fps. 

About shadows, i have no issues whatsoever. Did you try messing around on the color settings ingame? Try other godray setting or Amb Ocl setting and see if it persists.

I tried it just for a short ammount of time. I got it to work eventually but then the fps got kinda unstable so i stopped.

I just wanted to wait for possible new drivers or game updates before dropping 40 euros on it.

On another note. 

How would you personally rate the game on a scale from 1 to 10?

CPU:

How are you able to run it that well with a 280x? I'm struggling with my GTX 970.... I am getting terrible microstutter. 

Anyone getting a blurred/out of focus picture during cutscenes or when using the camera to tag stuff?

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I tried it just for a short ammount of time. I got it to work eventually but then the fps got kinda unstable so i stopped.

I just wanted to wait for possible new drivers or game updates before dropping 40 euros on it.

On another note. 

How would you personally rate the game on a scale from 1 to 10?

Well, considering that i played FC3, and alot of the game mechanics aren't really new stuff, i would give it a 6,5-10.

Why? Yes, the game is eye candy and is fun to play but the storyline isn't that good. Mechanics are basicly similar to FC3 so it kinda get's boring.

How are you able to run it that well with a 280x? I'm struggling with my GTX 970.... I am getting terrible microstutter. 

Well, microstutter can be for alot of things. Did you try turning on or off the HPET (high precision even timer), on bios and windows? Google about it. There are mixed results by it being on and off. Some people turn it on and it resolves stuff, icluding dual gpu problems sometimes.

Also consider googling about unparking your cpu cores.

Its 90% black for me, but ill keep trying and update when i get proper readings

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Its 90% black for me, but ill keep trying and update when i get proper readings

I had the same issue in the pirated version, try messing with the ambient occlusion option and shadow options.

CPU:

There are countless threads on this already..

Like..already..over 10.

An easy way ,...if this Search is broken or not returning results,.. is to use google.

EG search for "Far cry 4 linustechtips"

A huge list would then show up all in Google search from this forum about threads made about FC4

That said... 270x OC'd to 1125Mhz = 1080p SMAA Ultra = 30-35FPS+ and up to 50-65FPS in some areas. This is the FPS range of the 270x

Usually I sit around 35-55FPS average, lots of rises and falls in this game...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

ATM you have two options. Locking a 30 with Nvidia control panel/half vsync/tripple buffer and a 30 FPS limit in Riva Tuner and making the game just look stunning or...

Editing the ini (gamerprofile.XML) taking off MIP mapping and taking a texture hit on some objects. I prefer the first option since I can make it look really freaking pretty at 30 fps and I could care less about multi player in Far Cry. 

Other than that? Game is not gonna run smooth for anyone unless they turn textures and settings down lower than what the xml edit does.

This game will stutter on a GTX 980 Ultra + with a 4790k at 4.8ghz. Reason? One core is being maxed out and you get a major downswing in fps, which can be "fixed" by the two options I mentioned. Watch Dogs never got really fixed. AC Unity is not fixed on CPU, so I am going to take a wild stab and say neither will Far Cry 4. 

Now if you can deal with the two options I mentioned? Game isn't bad. I have no problem with a SMOOTH 30 FPS in a non multiplayer game, the thing is most people don't know how to do it and a non synced 30 FPS looks like crap. 

Long story short? Still better than the console version on your pc. Now if you had an older non Sandy CPU and a 650 ti or something? I don't know if I would bother. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

You tried V Sync?  

ATM you have two options. Locking a 30 with Nvidia control panel/half vsync/tripple buffer and a 30 FPS limit in Riva Tuner and making the game just look stunning or...

Editing the ini (gamerprofile.XML) taking off MIP mapping and taking a texture hit on some objects. I prefer the first option since I can make it look really freaking pretty at 30 fps and I could care less about multi player in Far Cry. 

Other than that? Game is not gonna run smooth for anyone unless they turn textures and settings down lower than what the xml edit does.

This game will stutter on a GTX 980 Ultra + with a 4790k at 4.8ghz. Reason? One core is being maxed out and you get a major downswing in fps, which can be "fixed" by the two options I mentioned. Watch Dogs never got really fixed. AC Unity is not fixed on CPU, so I am going to take a wild stab and say neither will Far Cry 4. 

Now if you can deal with the two options I mentioned? Game isn't bad. I have no problem with a SMOOTH 30 FPS in a non multiplayer game, the thing is most people don't know how to do it and a non synced 30 FPS looks like crap. 

Long story short? Still better than the console version on your pc. Now if you had an older non Sandy CPU and a 650 ti or something? I don't know if I would bother. 

I already bought the game yesterday. I haven't tried playing it though.

I always prefer playing games in 1080 60 fps over 30, but that's just personal preference.

And I can deal with having a little less beautiful textures. Now you said something about MIP mapping which is a term i'm not very familiar with so i'm gonna look that up on google when i get back home.

Good post. :)

CPU:

You tried V Sync?  

I've heard people saying that installing the game on an SSD has helped them with that problem. 

I've installed the game on my SSD yesterday so i'll have to try that out in a minute.

CPU:

I already bought the game yesterday. I haven't tried playing it though.

I always prefer playing games in 1080 60 fps over 30, but that's just personal preference.

And I can deal with having a little less beautiful textures. Now you said something about MIP mapping which is a term i'm not very familiar with so i'm gonna look that up on google when i get back home.

Good post. :)

Yeah for 60? Here is the setting. Mip one is what matters. Framebuffer didn't seem to make a difference. Add to that frame buffer can only help if you have the VRAM. After I went back and compared it did nothing and that was on a 4GB GPU, where it should have made a difference. You can try it without this change, but when you stutter like crazy on a vehicle (four wheelers at full speed are the worst culprit) come back to this post and apply that change :). You will lose detail on some textures with that change though. You could compare low textures to the change see, what one you like better. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/253568-far-cry-4-stuttering-fixed-runs-like-butter-now-on-my-pc/

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Yeah for 60? Here is the setting. Mip one is what matters. Framebuffer didn't seem to make a difference. Add to that frame buffer can only help if you have the VRAM. After I went back and compared it did nothing and that was on a 4GB GPU, where it should have made a difference. You can try it without this change, but when you stutter like crazy on a vehicle (four wheelers at full speed are the worst culprit) come back to this post and apply that change :). You will lose detail on some textures with that change though. You could compare low textures to the change see, what one you like better. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/253568-far-cry-4-stuttering-fixed-runs-like-butter-now-on-my-pc/

That actually did it for me!

I can't even fathom why they didn't take the time to put ALL the settings that are in the .xml file into the game's settings.

I was put off from playing the game, just because of the micro stuttering.

Thank you! You saved me my 40 euro's.

CPU:

That actually did it for me!

I can't even fathom why they didn't take the time to put ALL the settings that are in the .xml file into the game's settings.

I was put off from playing the game, just because of the micro stuttering.

Thank you! You saved me my 40 euro's.

:) The MIP setting was the only one I needed to do too.. +1 Goodguy to @deathjester again!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I've heard people saying that installing the game on an SSD has helped them with that problem. 

I've installed the game on my SSD yesterday so i'll have to try that out in a minute.

Tried Vsync no help. Annnddd I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks an SSD wasn't worth buying. LOL now look what that is costing me xD