Internet connection won't work with WLAN router

Homicidium

Hey Guys!

Yesterday morning, we faced a couple of issues with our internet connection. We have a Cisco PCE3208 modem and have use a TP - Link TL-WR841N WLAN router. Today we switched to a Netgear N300 WLAN router, because we had a technician in our house saying that "most likely" the router has stopped functioning. 

When I plug in my LAN cable or the LAN cable of my dad's PC directly into the modem, we have a very stable and fast internet connection, however as soon as we hook up the router with both PC's plugged (via LAN) in the Internet stops working after about 2 minutes. The same happens when I just connect my PC and my phone or just one PC for that matter. 

I tried resetting both the modem and router, updated the firmware on my router and check if DHCP is enabled (which it is). 

And to be honest, I'm kinda out of options here and don't know, what to do anymore. 

Could you please help us, so we can finally use all of our devices again, because the router most likely wasn't defect to begin with and neither did my father nor me change any of the settings before everything went to shit. (Yesterday, my dad was able to use the internet properly at 4AM, and by the time I woke up at 6:30AM I couldn't load any pages with my phone anymore) 

Both, my dad and I are using Windows 8.1, the modem is a Cisco PCE3208 and the router is the Netgear N300 WNR2200. I use an AsRock Extreme 4 Z77 and my dad uses a MSI Gaming 5 Z97, if that matters at all.

Thanks in advance, 

Homicidium

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

when it cuts out after two minutes, does resetting just the modem fix the problem?

do same with router. dont reset both at same time. this will tell you if one of the devices is having an issue.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

My Netgear router does this too.

@Homicidium You should also follow your posts :3

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

when it cuts out after two minutes, does resetting just the modem fix the problem?

do same with router. dont reset both at same time. this will tell you if one of the devices is having an issue.

Yes, I tried resetting the modem and then the router, both to no avail.

My Netgear router does this too.

@Homicidium You should also follow your posts :3

Yeah, but that happened (all of a sudden) with the TP - Link as well, which is weird. Because it worked for over a year when we were on Windows 7 and it worked perfectly until yesterday after we both switches to Windows 8(.1)

Good idea, lol :P

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

@Homicidium Is the router cnfigured to be an AP? if not then the built in router that most modems have might try to compete with the one in your wireless router, check if there's any settings like this that you can swap to wireless AP.

@Homicidium Is the router cnfigured to be an AP? if not then the built in router that most modems have might try to compete with the one in your wireless router, check if there's any settings like this that you can swap to wireless AP.

Yeah, but could this happen out of the blue? Like I said, neither I nor my dad changed anything with the settings on the modem, and it worked perfectly up until yesterday :( 

Also, where do I change this setting? Can I do this, when I type in the IP in my browser?

Yeah, but could this happen out of the blue? Like I said, neither I nor my dad changed anything with the settings on the modem, and it worked perfectly up until yesterday :(

Also, where do I change this setting? Can I do this, when I type in the IP in my browser?

just log into the site you get when going to the router ip. If you don't know how to get there, it's easy peasy, just go to your start menu and type cmd in the search, then you type ipconfig in the black window, and look up the address for your standard gateway, punch in this ip address in your browser and all is well.

Why does this happen? I don't know if there is one thing in the world I hate it's networks.

Thanks for all the replies, guys! But everything has just been solved with "a cloud of smoke"

The modem just died :o

We're getting a new modem and more bandwidth, the modem also has WLAN capabilities and so everything has been solved. Again, thanks for your help :)

Thanks for all the replies, guys! But everything has just been solved with "a cloud of smoke"

The modem just died :o

We're getting a new modem and more bandwidth, the modem also has WLAN capabilities and so everything has been solved. Again, thanks for your help :)

I think the smoke might have somethng to do with your troubles, just sayin smoking ain't good for you or your modem.

I think the smoke might have somethng to do with your troubles, just sayin smoking ain't good for you or your modem.

Nah, I don't think so either :D

We noticed this as our telephone call with the provider dropped suddenly and I then checked the modem and noticed that there weren't any lights burning and I noticed the burned smell. I'm at least glad that it didn't caught fire, because it's in a closed enclosure made out of wood and that could've gone really wrong :o