A cash strapped writer's best friend(laptop edition)

ManBehrPig

Hey,

Was just curious if any you out on the forum might have some suggestions for value laptops out there.  Basically I'm looking to mostly use it for writing with the ocassional jaunt over to YouTube and Reddit.  Thus the following are important to me: a comfortable keyboard, durability, reliability, a decent amount of storage, and a phenomenal battery life.  All this for a relatively good price.  I know the price puts a bit of a cap on what is feasible but considering that I don't necessarily need it to be a gaming laptop I'm hoping that there is something out there relatively close to what I want with a low price tag.  (If I sell a book, I'll be back to talk about that gaming laptop.) ;)

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Looking for the exact same thing. Following this

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Hey,

Was just curious if any you out on the forum might have some suggestions for value laptops out there.  Basically I'm looking to mostly use it for writing with the ocassional jaunt over to YouTube and Reddit.  Thus the following are important to me: a comfortable keyboard, durability, reliability, a decent amount of storage, and a phenomenal battery life.  All this for a relatively good price.  I know the price puts a bit of a cap on what is feasible but considering that I don't necessarily need it to be a gaming laptop I'm hoping that there is something out there relatively close to what I want with a low price tag.  (If I sell a book, I'll be back to talk about that gaming laptop.) ;)

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

The 2014 equivalent of the Asus K53E i3-laptop should check all the boxes in your requirements. Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i3-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-black/8769024.p?id=1219365672826&skuId=8769024

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Looking for the exact same thing. Following this

Well, I'd kind of like to know what the spectrum of what is out there is like.  I think for now anyways, the focus is more on bang for your buck.

When it comes to keyboards, the Thinkpads are unbeatable imo. If money is tight, you can get used ones with Sandy brigde Cpus (T420) off Ebay for ~400$. There is also a slimmer version of the t-series (t420s) which has lower battery life

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Well, I'd kind of like to know what the spectrum of what is out there is like.  I think for now anyways, the focus is more on bang for your buck.

Did you mean to quote me? I'm interested to see what my options are too^^ 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Did you mean to quote me? I'm interested to see what my options are too^^ 

whoops. :)

Describe "Good price"

I can't remember if it was this week or the week before where Linus and Luke were talking about the new HP Stream laptops.
Both the stream 11 (£179) and the stream 14 (£229) come with a years subscription to office 365 which includes 1Tb of storage on onedrive so it's a pretty amazing deal if you are a writer on a budget who just needs a basic laptop and office.