OS Transfer

Raddude

So I am building a new computer and plan on using my old one as a server computer. Since I feel that Linux will run fine for my purposes, I would like to transfer my Windows 8.1 to a new HDD. Is this possible (with decent ease) or do I have to just buy windows again?

So I am building a new computer and plan on using my old one as a server computer. Since I feel that Linux will run fine for my purposes, I would like to transfer my Windows 8.1 to a new HDD. Is this possible (with decent ease) or do I have to just buy windows again?

Just get the windows key from the registry files.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Would this work for transferring all files +OS?

Also, @Gofspar's suggestion would work as well.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

as long as the target disk is larger than the HDD its currently on you can use Clonezilla to do a perfect sector by sector clone. It will be as if nothing changed.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

For cloning I would use Clonezilla but it's not that user friendly for beginners. But since you're moving your install to a new computer, I would reinstall everything and start with a fresh system. A  move could mess up the drivers and it's a good way to get rid of all the junk you accumulated over the years with an older install.

CPU: Intel 3770k Cooling: Corsair H100i Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPower Memory: 2x4gb Corsair 1600 ddr3 GPU: Sapphire 6950 2gb with reference Cooler PSU: XFX pro 650w Case: Corsair Carbide 500r Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, 2x Samsung 1TB, 1x Seagate 2TB

CPU: Pentium 4 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SGXL Memory: 2GB ddr Storage: 250GB IDE OS: FreeBSD