Computer not booting at 5ghz.

I find my computer really strange at the moment.

I'm using the Asrock Extreme 9 and i7 3820.

I chose the Preset setting of 4.6 ghz and everything runs fine no problem.

When i choose the 4.8ghz setting, the BLCK is 127 and 38x Multiplier.

Using this setting causes my PC to not post at all.

Then when i chose 5ghz, 40x 125, it posts fine but when i get to the usual OS loading screen, you see the little "_" in the top left corner blinking and nothing happens.

I was wondering if there were any other owners of Extreme 9 or 3820 to leave any help.

Thanks.

... don't bother with preset overclocks, you're not going to get your system how you want. If you do that just stick with the 4.6GHz and be done with it, you won't see any real word difference between that and 5Ghz anyway.

If you want to get 5GHz stable (if you chip can even do it), you are going to have to manually overclock.

... don't bother with preset overclocks' date=' you're not going to get your system how you want. If you do that just stick with the 4.6GHz and be done with it, you won't see any real word difference between that and 5Ghz anyway. If you want to get 5GHz stable (if you chip can even do it), you are going to have to manually overclock. [/quote']

The only difference between my current 4.6 OC and the 5 OC was the multiplier. I even added voltage to it but it still doesn't OC.

Check out this overclocking guide. You should not be using the preset overclocking options. Doing it yourself is 10x better since every CPU is different and needs to played around with. http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers

4670k @ 4.3GHz w/ Deepcool Lucifer | ASRock z97e-itx/ac | 2x4GB G Skill Ares | MSI TFiii HD 7870 @ 1150/1450| OCZ Vertex 4 128GB + 1TB | Bitfenix Prodigy Black | Antec TP-650C

up the voltage a little bit. it is not advisable to cross 1.45 volts .

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

are you under water? if not its not advisable to go over 4.5ghz unless you have a magical cpu witch overclocks amzingly and you have decent water cooling, and dont go above 1.45 volts as your cpu will start to degrde more quickly

and just a small waning if you go near or at 1.7V your cpu will go in a puff of blue smoke

up the voltage a little bit. it is not advisable to cross 1.45 volts .
some people say that you can go up to 1.52 volts. It's probably better not to do it for long periods of time, though.