Why does my Taskbar keep switching monitors?!

• Windows 8.1
  • Radeon PowerColor R9 290 PCS+ running the most up-to-date AMD Catalyst Control Center
  • Monitor #1 = primary monitor
  • Monitor #2 = secondary monitor WITH task bar

So I like to keep my taskbar on Monitor #2.  I move it to Monitor #2 > lock taskbar... now if I turn off Monitor #2, Windows gives me the "Device Disconnect" sound and the taskbar and all open windows on that monitor are moved to Monitor #1 (it even messes with icons on the desktop).  Even shutting down and waiting for the PC to completely shut down and then turn them off doesn't work... I'm assuming one monitor "disconnects" from the PC at a fraction of a second quicker/slower than the other.

I've Googled, I've searched through Windows settings, AMD settings, I've even installed DisplayFusion to see if it had an option to disable that.

Can anyone help?  I just want my taskbar, windows and icons to stay put!  Never had this issue on Win7.

Windows 8 Gives a task bar to both monitors. If you turning your monitor off makes it disconnect, don't turn it off... put it in standby mode etc.

Windows 7 only has 1 task bar where on Win 8 it goes on all monitors.

Your primary monitor will always have the Time and Date/ other mini task things, where all monitors can have the icons and the actual task bar.

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

Windows 8 Gives a task bar to both monitors. If you turning your monitor off makes it disconnect, don't turn it off... put it in standby mode etc.

Your primary monitor will always have the Time and Date/ other mini task things, where all monitors can have the icons and the actual task bar.

That doesn't help.

I've taken the "primary" taskbar (with date and system tray) moved it to Monitor #2 and locked it.  But like I said in my opening post... even turning off the PC will mess with the taskbar even when it's locked.  So when I turn my PC back on sometimes it's moved the taskbar and icons to Monitor #1.

There has to be a way in Win8 to prevent this from happening.

What are the connection types for Monitor 1 and Monitor 2, hdmi, displayport?

What are the connection types for Monitor 1 and Monitor 2, hdmi, displayport?

Their both DVI connections directly into the video card.

It's how Windows works. Any per-monitor change you make, will only remain applied, so long as that monitor is powered on. If you're shutting it off, and Windows disconnects it, it's saying that display is no longer there. To prevent you from losing access to what would be on that monitor, it shoves it all to the other, active monitor. If you wish to have it permanently on M2, you need to have a monitor that can go in stand-by mode, without sending a disconnect signal to Windows. I don't believe Windows has built in (activated) support for retaining the layout however on a shutdown, so instead use hibernate.

As long as that second monitor turns off though, and sends the disconnect, anything on it will be pushed over to the main monitor whether you want it to or not.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

It's how Windows works. Any per-monitor change you make, will only remain applied, so long as that monitor is powered on. If you're shutting it off, and Windows disconnects it, it's saying that display is no longer there. To prevent you from losing access to what would be on that monitor, it shoves it all to the other, active monitor. If you wish to have it permanently on M2, you need to have a monitor that can go in stand-by mode, without sending a disconnect signal to Windows. I don't believe Windows has built in (activated) support for retaining the layout however on a shutdown, so instead use hibernate.

As long as that second monitor turns off though, and sends the disconnect, anything on it will be pushed over to the main monitor whether you want it to or not.

Dang... I'm assuming this is new to Win8?  I had the same monitors, same taskbar setup, hooked up to a different PC in the past running Win7 and I never came across this.

Thanks for the info.

Not sure since you said you have it locket I can't imagine why it would be moving...

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Check the "show taskbar on all displays" mark, here http://gyazo.com/359cec516be9a14cbc2f59facbd954a4

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!