Why are there two different SATA-Controllers on some Mainboards?

Hey guys

Something I'm wondering about is why there are two different SATA-Controllers on the same mainboard. My Sabertooth Z77 for example has got an Intel Sata controller and an ASMedia controller aswell. I've heard that with a RAID you have more performance when you attach your SSDs on the other controller or something like that, but why are there two different controllers?

the intel chipset only supports a certain amount of sata ports therefore the mobo manufacture adds in another controller so they can offer more ports...i think for z77 its 2 sata 3 6gb/s and 4 sata 2 3gb/s

the intel chipset only supports a certain amount of sata ports therefore the mobo manufacture adds in another controller so they can offer more ports...i think for z77 its 2 sata 3 6gb/s and 4 sata 2 3gb/s

Yes and the z87 chipset supports 6 SATA 3 6gb/s and mobo manufacturers can give you more with 3rd party controllers.

The reason is cost of the components, for instance since 990x mobo platform AMD has options for 6 SATA 3 6gb/s ports, but AMD boards are simpler than Intel ones , that is why the cost of an ROG mobo for AMD is same as a medium performance MOBO for intel

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)