Using seperate PSU for GPU, how do I boot both CPU and GPU at same time?

LtRoyalShrimp
Go to solution Solved by LtRoyalShrimp,

Edit: Issue has been solved. CX750m needed some extra pressure applied to be in contact with the CPU power connector. False alarm. 

Hi Guys,

My friend upgraded his GT520 to a GTX 760, on his pre-built OEM HP H8-1114 Desktop. 

He needed a new PSU, so get a CX750m from Corsair. Problem is, the computer wont boot when that PSU is used on the motherboard and CPU power connecters.

He now wants to connected the CPU and mobo to the old OEM PSU, and the GTX 760 to the CX750m. 

That can work, my question is, how does bootin work. Does he power on the main computer and then power the GPU using the pin trick, or does he leave the power on to the GPU and then power on the CPU? 

Gaming PC: CPU: 4770k @ 4.0Ghz GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 RAM: 16GB Corsair vengeance 1600Mhz Mobo: ASRock Extreme 9/AC PSU: Corsair AX760i Case: Corsair 750D CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i HDD: Samsung EVO 250GB, 1TB HDD, 4TB HDD 

Just make him remove the OEM PSU and just use the corsair one as there is no real purpose to use 2 PSUs in this case

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

Just make him remove the OEM PSU and just use the corsair one as there is no real purpose to use 2 PSUs in this case

Ok, we tried that(Duh) but the motherboard wont boot. We nailed the issue down to the mobo and CPU power connectors. 

The Motherboard is a OEM  IPISB-CU (Carmel2) and has a 4 pin CPU power connecter. He tried using the CPU connector from the CX750m, but it didnt work. When he plugged in the OEM PSU to the CPU and mobo, everything worked again. 

OEM PSU -> Motherboard = Works

CX750m -> Motherboard = Does not work

OEM PSU ->Motherboard

CX750m -> GPU                is the new idea.

Gaming PC: CPU: 4770k @ 4.0Ghz GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 RAM: 16GB Corsair vengeance 1600Mhz Mobo: ASRock Extreme 9/AC PSU: Corsair AX760i Case: Corsair 750D CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i HDD: Samsung EVO 250GB, 1TB HDD, 4TB HDD 

double post?

~Straw

On purpose. Not sure if better for GPU or PSU section. 

Edit: Issue has been solved. CX750m needed some extra pressure applied to be in contact with the CPU power connector. False alarm.