AMP/DAC combo for headsets?

Frag_Attack

Hello guys,

I want to buy a new headset and as I'm a big fan of Sennheisser I would like to buy the G4me Zero.

But I heard from a review, that an AMP could improve the sound by a lot. So I was looking for an AMP/DAC combo and found the FiiO E12, which I really like the design of and it's also not too expensive.

The question I have now, is if I can use them with the headset, so I can plug in also the microphone. 

I just saw that it has a stereo sound input, but I don't really know what it is good for as I'm a total "noob" in this section. And if this doesn't work, are there actually AMP/DAC combos that have a mic input? And if not, what can you recommend instead? A sound card maybe?

Thanks!

You could just get the headset first and see if it gets loud enough on your motherboard's on-board audio solution. If it doesn't, then you could just get a cheap amp and plug the microphone still into the mobo's audio.

You could just get the headset first and see if it gets loud enough on your motherboard's on-board audio solution. If it doesn't, then you could just get a cheap amp and plug the microphone still into the mobo's audio.

Good idea, thanks. Why didn't I come up with this myself? :P

But I've still one question. I've already a much cheaper Sennheisser headset here, which I'm using right now. With that current headset and also driverless headsets before, I had the problem that the mic was a bit quiet. Is there a way to get it louder, without any distortion or hissing from that the build in microfon boost has? Or is this just because I have a bad onboard chip? (MSI Z87-G43 Motherboard) Thats why I thought an AMP could eventually help. 

Someone link this guy to the Syba DAC - I'm on mobile

I googled it already :P This looks interesting. It seems like exactly what I want. Thanks!

The game ones (aka pc360) work fine on my gigabyte soc force mobo.  Sounds pretty much the same as it did when I was running them on a sbzx sound card.  Amps on the mobos can handle most headsets these days, it's when you get to the more expensive ones that you will need to get a dac/amp.  The game zero (aka pc350) should be no different so try it before you buy any other equipment as it might work fine.

The game ones (aka pc360) work fine on my gigabyte soc force mobo.  Sounds pretty much the same as it did when I was running them on a sbzx sound card.  Amps on the mobos can handle most headsets these days, it's when you get to the more expensive ones that you will need to get a dac/amp.  The game zero (aka pc350) should be no different so try it before you buy any other equipment as it might work fine.

Okay thanks. I'll do that. :)

Okay thanks. I'll do that. :)

The G4ME Zero (PC350) impedance is rated at 150 ohms compared to G4ME One's (PC360) 50 ohm, so the Zero/350 might be hard to drive on some systems. Most modern audio solutions should be able to handle it though.

The G4ME Zero (PC350) impedance is rated at 150 ohms compared to G4ME One's (PC360) 50 ohm, so the Zero/350 might be hard to drive on some systems. Most modern audio solutions should be able to handle it though.

Well, Ipad 3 is able to drive 300 ohms 103dB HD650 with no problems at all, and assuming the worst onboard in the last 5 years should at least got as much power as ipad 3's internal amp, a 150 ohms 108dB Game Zero shouldn't pose a problem.