4690k overheating with stock cooler?

I recently noticed that my Intel Core i5 4690k (which is NOT overclocked) has been overheating recently. As I type this, HWMonitor is saying that my CPU is anywhere from 40 C to 50C. And that is about the same when my system is completely at idle, maybe going down into the high 30's. Also, when I launch Far Cry 3 and play for about 5 minutes, the temps jump all the way up 90C to 95C. I am using the Intel stock cooler (though I am planning to upgrade to a decent air cooler for Christmas, like the Dark Rock 3), and I checked to see if the stock cooler was loose, but it didn't budge and is rock solid in the motherboard. So does anyone know what might be wrong?

Same here with chrome and skype open its at 40 ~ 45 degrees. I dont even want to know when its under load

Steve

I recently noticed that my Intel Core i5 4690k (which is NOT overclocked) has been overheating recently. As I type this, HWMonitor is saying that my CPU is anywhere from 40 C to 50C. And that is about the same when my system is completely at idle, maybe going down into the high 30's. Also, when I launch Far Cry 3 and play for about 5 minutes, the temps jump all the way up 90C to 95C. I am using the Intel stock cooler (though I am planning to upgrade to a decent air cooler for Christmas, like the Dark Rock 3), and I checked to see if the stock cooler was loose, but it didn't budge and is rock solid in the motherboard. So does anyone know what might be wrong?

Those temps are definitely high.  Maybe try remounting the cooler.  Make sure all of the 4 corners are pushed down equally in a criss cross pattern.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

im getting 40 right now i have firefox and skype open..im using stock too.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

seems to me that you have bad air flow in your case, it should be about 70-75 at load

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

seems to me that you have bad air flow in your case, it should be about 70-75 at load

Hmm...well my case is the Fractal Design Define R4, with the stock fans that come with that case (one intake in the front and one exhaust in the back)

open the door & check so we can take air flow out of the equation

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

Same problem here...

getting a hyper 212 evo

First Build:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Black          GPU: MSI R9 270 Gaming@1050/1500         CPU: i5 4570          Motherboard: ASUS H81I Plus          PSU: Corsair CX600          RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT         Cooling: 230mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro Intake; Corsair AF140 Rear Exuast; 2x120mm Stock Case Fans Top Exuast        Storage: WD Blue 1TB          OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit

Did you ever remove the cooler from the CPU? If you did then you need to go get some thermal paste and apply it if you don't know how to properly apply thermal paste you should look it up but in any case I would look it up just to be sure I don't mess something up.

what is wrong with that, try setting your max temps lower and the fan might rev up, I have a 3570k at 4.1 and it never goes above 45 under heavy gaming on the stock fan.

Also try reapplying the heat sink and popping the side  of your case of while gaming 

open the door & check so we can take air flow out of the equation

There is one 140 mm fan in the front as intake, one 140 mm fan in the back as exhaust. And the ambient temperature in my room is about 22 C. Also, the temps I described above were all recorded while the main side panel was taken off...

are you sure the heatsync is in good contact just take it off and see if the past has made contacted, the Intel coolers are tricky many times I though it was in good contact but actually wasn't, just take it off and see no harm done

are you sure the heatsync is in good contact just take it off and see if the past has made contacted, the Intel coolers are tricky many times I though it was in good contact but actually wasn't, just take it off and see no harm done

I won't need to apply new thermal paste if I take it off?

seems normal. 

i sit around 35-40C with a noctua cooler. 

btw overhating = OVERheating ~ 80C

high idle temps aren't the something as overheating 

I Kinda had this problem with my i5 3570k. I fixed it by plopping a aftermarket cooler. I am not sure if this will solve this problem but, if I were you I would get a new cooler right now, instead of waiting for christmas! It might hurt your cpu more than it already is!