Quick question about SQL databases

MatazaNZ
Go to solution Solved by MatazaNZ,

Turns out the answer was a "Linking table". According to my course work, there are 2 types of tables, primary and linking. In the exam I guessed primary as the answer to the question. So I was on the right lines, just the wrong table. Apparently a primary table is one where data is not going to be changed very often, and almost always unique. A linking table is an intermediary table, linking various primary tables. Well, now I know, I guess

So I finished my SQL practical exam results, and I got a 97.14%, with 2 marks missed out of 70. I didn't get any of the answers back to check my two incorrect answers, so I decided to ask here about the one I can't work out what it could be. To me, it seems like such a generic question. For some context, the exam was half writing SQL statements to accomplish tasks it gives you, and the other half was theory knowledge. The two questions I got incorrect were in the knowledge section. One I worked out just fine, but the other I can't work out what it could be.

The question was as follows: A table that is changed or updated regularly is known as a ___________ table.

Any help would be great thank you :D

i would say sequence table but its probably wrong. i know if you are using auto increment keys then there is a sequence table that is hidden but keeps track of the next value.

i would say sequence table but its probably wrong. i know if you are using auto increment keys then there is a sequence table that is hidden but keeps track of the next value.

We weren't using auto increment keys from what I knew. Any keys we set were manually inserted. It may be a sequence table, but I don't remember reading much about that in the course material.

We weren't using auto increment keys from what I knew. Any keys we set were manually inserted. It may be a sequence table, but I don't remember reading much about that in the course material.

Not sure. I know that's how sqlite does it. Pretty sure it would be similar in any database system that support auto increment values.

Not sure. I know that's how sqlite does it. Pretty sure it would be similar in any database system that support auto increment values.

if it helps at all, we were using Microsoft SQL Server 2005. Outdated as hell, I know, but it was about learning fundamentals

That wouldn't be a Memory Optimized Table would it? That's the first thing that comes to my mind at least. 

That wouldn't be a Memory Optimized Table would it? That's the first thing that comes to my mind at least. 

It might be. Now you can see my issue with this question in particular, right? It's too broad. I'm going to take a look through my coursework and see if I can dig it up. Although, I haven't been able to so far.

This seems like the kind of question where the answer might technically be valid, but not really ever used so your average programmer probably doesn't know it.

Or it could be super obvious when everyone hears it and just isn't used to being asked for it in this way.

Just ask your prof?

It might be. Now you can see my issue with this question in particular, right? It's too broad. I'm going to take a look through my coursework and see if I can dig it up. Although, I haven't been able to so far.

Yea it's definitely not worded very well haha. I'll stand with my answer tho, let me know if you figure it out 100%! 

Yes, it's a stupid question. Whoever wrote that is terrible at their job. :P

On a serious note, I know a few DBMSs inside out and the question makes no sense. Whatever the correct answer is, the question is still ambiguous.

Want to solve problems? Check this out.

Turns out the answer was a "Linking table". According to my course work, there are 2 types of tables, primary and linking. In the exam I guessed primary as the answer to the question. So I was on the right lines, just the wrong table. Apparently a primary table is one where data is not going to be changed very often, and almost always unique. A linking table is an intermediary table, linking various primary tables. Well, now I know, I guess

Apparently it goes by a lot of names http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junction_table

Junction tables are known under many names, among them cross-reference tablebridge tablejoin tablemap tableintersection tablelinking tablemany-to-many resolverlink tablepairing tablepivot table[citation needed]transition tablecrosswalkassociative entity or association table.

Apparently it goes by a lot of names http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junction_table

That just makes the exam question even more ridiculous, because if someone researched at home, they could very well have learned a different name, and given that name during the exam, ending up with an incorrect mark, despite the answer being technically correct

That just makes the exam question even more ridiculous, because if someone researched at home, they could very well have learned a different name, and given that name during the exam, ending up with an incorrect mark, despite the answer being technically correct

That's why you follow your class notes on exams no matter what lol

It's easier to argue that you're correct by what the prof previously told you than by what "insert internet website" told you (even if the site is more relevant/correct)

That's why you follow your class notes on exams no matter what lol

It's easier to argue that you're correct by what the prof previously told you than by what "insert internet website" told you (even if the site is more relevant/correct)

I did follow the class notes, but this information was buried, mentioned once, and never again. Not to mention that we already had a module on Database Applications, and another on Relational Databases. Both the instructor and I thought it was a bit redundant to include it in a module focusing purely on SQL directly after finishing up databases. But, it was only one mark, I'm still happy I finished with A+