ROG Swift picture quality

CostcoSamples

I know its a TN panel, but is it really that bad?  I've been using an MVA panel for years, its got nice color and viewing angle, but a bit too much input lag for my FPS games.  

Ideally I'd prefer a gaming IPS or VA type monitor with G-sync and 1440p.  Since that doesn't exist, I guess the next best thing is something like the ROG Swift.  

Is the ROG Swift a good all around monitor with good enough colors and viewing angles for general office use and emersive gaming? Or should I look for a 60hz IPS or VA monitor instead?

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Office use and gaming doesn't need IPS, honestly

i dunno if times have changed but when i used a TN panel last year it was a nice experience, viewing angles and the colours overall were bollocks.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

@CostcoSamples, one thing to note that if you do go from a VA panel monitor to a TN panel one, like the ASUS ROG Swift, your colours won't be as vibrant and your blacks won't be as black. I made a mistake when I switched a dud IPS monitor for a TN one and have regretted it ever since. You don't wanna make the same mistake that I did with going from a VA monitor to a TN one because you WILL noticed it. Trust me! ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

@CostcoSamples, one thing to note that if you do go from a VA panel monitor to a TN panel one, like the ASUS ROG Swift, your colours won't be as vibrant and your blacks won't be as black. I made a mistake when I switched a dud IPS monitor for a TN one and have regretted it ever since. You don't wanna make the same mistake that I did with going from a VA monitor to a TN one because you WILL noticed it. Trust me! ;)

Yes, that is what I'm worried about.  I use a crappy TN panel at work, and its nice to use my MVA panel when I get home.  I'm sure I'd get used to having a TN at home, eventually.  I wish there was a gaming grade IPS or VA panel, preferably with G-Sync, at 1440p.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Yes, that is what I'm worried about.  I use a crappy TN panel at work, and its nice to use my MVA panel when I get home.  I'm sure I'd get used to having a TN at home, eventually.  I wish there was a gaming grade IPS or VA panel, preferably with G-Sync, at 1440p.

Well, just make sure you have a serious think before choosing to purchase any TN monitor.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I'd wait, it's only a matter of time before we have 144hz IPS monitors.

It was confirmed to be coming, if i remember correctly

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

You can get a 120Hz VA monitor, the Eizo Foris FG2421 I think it's called. It's also freakishly expensive and only 1080p, so, your call

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Unless you get some piece of shit 80 dollar TN panel, you wikl not be able to tell the difference between TN IPS and VA, unless they are all side by side. Anything else is a placebo effect.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

I'd wait, it's only a matter of time before we have 144hz IPS monitors.

It was confirmed to be coming, if i remember correctly

That would be a terrible experience. Color would be terrible and it would have a shit load of input lag.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

That would be a terrible experience. Color would be terrible and it would have a shit load of input lag.

Yea, you remember when they said plasma panels were the way of the future, and now they're no longer produced?

Or when CRTs were the only type of monitor?

Technology moves fast. It's IPS, so the colors will be fine, and if it's ever going to make it to market, they'll have to have removed the input lag.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Unless you get some piece of shit 80 dollar TN panel, you wikl not be able to tell the difference between TN IPS and VA, unless they are all side by side. Anything else is a placebo effect.

You're totally wrong, seriously.

The difference is really noticable

I know its a TN panel, but is it really that bad?  I've been using an MVA panel for years, its got nice color and viewing angle, but a bit too much input lag for my FPS games.  

Ideally I'd prefer a gaming IPS or VA type monitor with G-sync and 1440p.  Since that doesn't exist, I guess the next best thing is something like the ROG Swift.  

Is the ROG Swift a good all around monitor with good enough colors and viewing angles for general office use and emersive gaming? Or should I look for a 60hz IPS or VA monitor instead?

I got the ROG Swift and the color reproduction is average, which is fine for me.  I wouldn't do any serious photo work on it, but for gaming and internet surfing it's fine.  However, if you're really picky about colors then I would find a IPS panel to your liking.