Aero Stuttering

bdc9898

In Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, Aero stutters. I have it set to the "Windows 7 Basic" theme, which does not stutter at all. Now, I could just deal with it, but I miss the beautiful animations and visuals of Aero. I built the computer a few months ago, and this is my second install of Windows. This install is just a few days under two months old.

What happens is when I do anything, there are dropped frames everywhere. Typing a paper, watching a video, dragging a window, basically anything that moves drops frames. I do have a second monitor, but it only gets slightly better when I disable it.

I have my graphics card drivers on a very new update (344.60). My temps on both CPU and GPU are in the 30-35 degree range, just as they are in Windows Basic, too.

Here is my build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cX4JTW

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cX4JTW/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.19 @ Amazon) 

Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($217.69 @ Amazon) 

Case: Rosewill Line Glow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.95 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US) 

Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($19.99 @ NCIX US) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($197.98 @ NCIX US) 

Total: $1064.75

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-11 19:35 EST-0500

I have no idea what to do, and anything you all have would be wonderful. Thanks!

In 

did you updater drivers and did you overclock anything if so how far did you update windows

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Downgrade your GPU driver to the previous one or a few before that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

did you updater drivers and did you overclock anything if so how far did you update windows

I have the newest Windows Updates, and have tried doing clean installs of the Nvidia drivers. Still stuttering.

My GPU is overclocked by ~80MHz. I have disabled the overclock, restarted Windows, checked to make sure that it was disabled, but still no dice.

I have the newest Windows Updates, and have tried doing clean installs of the Nvidia drivers. Still stuttering.

My GPU is overclocked by ~80MHz. I have disabled the overclock, restarted Windows, checked to make sure that it was disabled, but still no dice.

how about your cpu

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

Will try that, let me get back to you.

how about your cpu

Nope. My CPU isn't even unlocked, so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Nope. My CPU isn't even unlocked, so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

What are the thermals

What are the thermals

All of this is included in my original post. I am getting around 30-35 degrees celsius on both the CPU and GPU with casual browsing and video watching on both Aero and Basic.

All of this is included in my original post. I am getting around 30-35 degrees celsius on both the CPU and GPU with casual browsing and video watching on both Aero and Basic.

i was mening under ful load as you say no extra coling and the included cpu fan will keep it at 35 under 10% oad it will go high under load se how high it goes under load 

i was mening under ful load as you say no extra coling and the included cpu fan will keep it at 35 under 10% oad it will go high under load se how high it goes under load 

Ok, sorry, I misunderstood.

Prime95: CPU at ~68 Degrees Celsius

Heaven Bench: GPU at ~68 Degrees Celsius, CPU at ~50

Downgraded to a somewhat old driver (335.23 from March 2014) because Aero worked when I had that update, but still no dice. The downgrade did not work.

Downgraded to a somewhat old driver (335.23 from March 2014) because Aero worked when I had that update, but still no dice. The downgrade did not work.

thats rly strange then...

are there any windows updates available for your PC AFTER you downgraded the drivers?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

thats rly strange then...

are there any windows updates available for your PC AFTER you downgraded the drivers?

Nope. No Windows Updates available. Darn. It updated when I restarted after I updated, but all but one of them were just security updates.

The update that wasn't a security update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2952664 It doesn't seem like this update would affect the graphics drivers.

Congrats on your 10,000th post, BTW!

try the GPU in another PCIe slot.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Nope. No Windows Updates available. Darn. It updated when I restarted after I updated, but all but one of them were just security updates.

The update that wasn't a security update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2952664 It doesn't seem like this update would affect the graphics drivers.

Congrats on your 10,000th post, BTW!

Oh thanks :)

Well a couple weeks ago I had some stuttering issues in windows because of a GPU driver update. I reverted to 337.88 then a windows update showed up called something like "display driver" and after I installed that everything was smooth again.

Spoiler

try the GPU in another PCIe slot.

I would, but it's my understanding that my only other full length PCI-E slot will only run at 4x. Sure that would be fine, but Nvidia cards won't run at anything less than 8x.

Oh thanks :)

Well a couple weeks ago I had some stuttering issues in windows because of a GPU driver update. I reverted to 337.88 then a windows update showed up called something like "display driver" and after I installed that everything was smooth again.

Well, thank you for your help. I might mess around with a few other updates if I get desperate. Thanks.

I would, but it's my understanding that my only other full length PCI-E slot will only run at 4x. Sure that would be fine, but Nvidia cards won't run at anything less than 8x.

may as well try it.

If you can, maybe try it in another system

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!