2 Gpu issues 660ti and 5850

Cata2136

So i have this 660ti that occassionally bugs out the screen and crashes the drivers. It looks like there are green and red blocks everywhere when it crashes at boot. otherwise, it just crashes the driver or game.

The question is what would cause this? or can i fix it? i want to sell it and get a 7850.

Note it is a Gigabyte windforce cooler

The 5850 on the other hand just has screen tearing issues and a loud ass fan. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Thanks again forum!

For your 5850, you should be able to use something like Afterburner to adjust the fan to your liking.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I tried that, but it isn't like that. It rattles and creates a mumble. it's the only fan in my system to do so. Even at 20%

For the 660ti, check to make sure it's running stable by running furmark for an extended period of time (3+hrs, many peoples go 24hrs). If it's not you can probably get it replaced for free where you bought it (or equivalent store credit). The 5850 just needs vsink to fix the screen tearing. It sounds like one of the bearings on it is going bad though if it's grinding at 20% load. This won't really affect anything except noise but it might get worse after a while. If you can, oil the bearing, unfortunately it might be impossible to properly oil the bearing just because of how the card is made. i've got a 6870 that's needlessly loud that i took out of my system, in part, for that reason.

furmark: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Sometimes you just get unlucky.

Thanks for the reply Rookie. What do you think i should try oiling the fan with (i can get it off farily easily)? I've hear of people using WD-40, but i really wouldn't know.

Also, i'll report back afterward on the 660ti.

actual oil, not WD-40, it will work in the short term but it won't last very long. Just any all purpose oil or even bike chain oil would be fine.

So the 660ti crashed windows just before the first  hour ended. It might have been heat on the cpu though. Also i noticed that the mem usage was only 6%. is there anyway i could make that higher? i thought in this case the memory bus was damaged. Thats what my friend said when he gave it to me.

monitor your temps. generally components reach full temp (within 1-2 degrees) after the first 20 mins. test the 5850 in the same system. it'll perform worse but it will narrow down the problem to just the GPU if there aren't any problems. Furmark doesn't use much memory, theres really not that much to the program so don't worry about that.

cpu temp: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

GPU temp: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

if you have the proof of purchase, i'd just return the card to where you bought it or to the manufacturer.