Has my PSU arrived dead on arrival?

Darthvader

It's EVGA G2 750w PSU.

I've plugged it in (there's nothing plugged in to it) and the fan is not spinning (eco mode is off). I've also plugged in some LED lights into it via molex and they do not work. Is my PSU broken, or am I just being stupid here. 
Thanks 

I've plugged it in (there's nothing plugged in to it)???????????? 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

I've plugged it in (there's nothing plugged in to it)???????????? 

I've plugged it into the wall however it's not plugged into anything e.g the mobo

I've plugged it into the wall however it's not plugged into anything e.g the mobo

Then your psu is not broke! Plug everything into your mobo gpu cpu etc. And see if it boots up! 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

are you using the paper clip trick to force the psu to switch on?

No I'll try that

The PSU will not run on its own without being connected to other things

You can try and short it so that it starts, or just connect it to your motherboard and case power switch and see if it turns on

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The power supply will only turn on when it receives a signal on the 24 pin cable from the motherboard or by shorting two of the signal wires with something like a paperclip.

You'd want to use the green wire and and any of the adjacent black wires.

jump-start-2.jpg

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

No I'll try that

and plug a fan or something via molex, just to know if it works, because the psu fans does not necessarily has to spin; maybe the fan spins depending on temperature.

also rememeber is green to back wire ti bridge it

You are being stupid here. Sorry to say that. Your 24-pin connector to the motherboard has 2 safety pins to ensure it is powering anything. One pin sends a small signal to the motherboard, and recieves it back from the motherboard through the other pin if it is connected. Plug all the power cables into your motherboard, hdd, ssd and vga cards and then turn it on.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

You are being stupid here. Sorry to say that. Your 24-pin connector to the motherboard has 2 safety pins to ensure it is powering anything. One pin sends a small signal to the motherboard, and recieves it back from the motherboard through the other pin if it is connected. Plug all the power cables into your motherboard, hdd, ssd and vga cards and then turn it on.

That's fine I am aware I am being stupid. I only have the PSU right now you see or I would be able to test it with the other components. 

The power supply will only turn on when it receives a signal on the 24 pin cable from the motherboard or by shorting two of the signal wires with something like a paperclip.

You'd want to use the green wire and and any of the adjacent black wires.

jump-start-2.jpg

Thanks a lot man this trick worked. My PSU came into life and I tested with some LCD's via molex and they light up. Thanks a lot!

and plug a fan or something via molex, just to know if it works, because the psu fans does not necessarily has to spin; maybe the fan spins depending on temperature.

also rememeber is green to back wire ti bridge it

Thanks a lot for your help. Your trick worked and I was able to power it up. 

That PSU comes with a jump adapter. . . 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

I just had my power supply die on me. A known bad batch of OCZ 700w supplies. I came home and it smelled like an electrical fire of burning wires and rubber. I thought about the paperclip test but the smell test told me the power supply was fried. I put in a backup 460w power supply to limp along for 3 or 4 days. My 7950 brought that 460w supply to it's knees. The good news, none of my components went down with the power supply. Also, it was not completely dead yet and provided limited power to the motherboard.

Glad your new power supply works for you OP.