Silent PSU

EarthboundHero
Go to solution Solved by TheKDub,

you could get a slightly higher wattage psu that has a feature where if it is under a specific load amount it keeps the fan off, or just rip the fan out of a lower wattage power supply.

So my home server is using an old AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+. It's old, I know. But the TDP is only 89W, so I was thinking I don't need a huge PSU for it. I want to get one that's completely silent, as in no fan and is extremely efficient. Rosewill has this one, but it's overkill and kinda expensive. I'd only 300W at the very most. Anyone know of a PSU like that? 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

you could get a slightly higher wattage psu that has a feature where if it is under a specific load amount it keeps the fan off, or just rip the fan out of a lower wattage power supply.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I could.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Are you sure you need a silent psu? Most psu's have very quiet fans already to the point where system noise is likely going to be from other components like other fans or hdd'.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Are you sure you need a silent psu? Most psu's have very quiet fans already to the point where system noise is likely going to be from other components like other fans or hdd'.

I'd just like a very quiet one, since it's in my room and on 24/7. It's extremely loud right now.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

I'd just like a very quiet one, since it's in my room and on 24/7. It's extremely loud right now.

Like most decent psu's, the 500B1 is really quiet: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr

I actually have two of them sitting to my right.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Like most decent psu's, the 500B1 is really quiet: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr

I actually have two of them sitting to my right.

I think my best change would be better fans and CPU cooler. But I'll be needing a new PSU anyway, and that one looks good.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler