NZXT Kraken X61 + 4x Noctua iPPC 3000RPM

Do you think it is a good idea to connect 4xNoctua iPPC 3000RPM fans into one fan header !? or should I use the in-built fan controller from my NZXT Phantom 820 Case ?

But if I connect them to the controller would I be able to control all 4 fans and the pump via NZXT software ?

Those fans use so much power they would probably fry your fan header.

And the fan controller on your case uses a button to change fan speed. It is not connected to your motherboard for controlling it with CAM.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On noctua site it says to read my mb's manual to see how much power the fan header can support. it says to not pass 12W

Caution: Common mainboard fan headers support up to 9.6 or 12W (check your mainboard manual for detailed information). Please thus make sure that the combined power draw of the fans connected to one fan header using NA-YC1 adaptors does not exceed this value!

Motherboard is ASUS Z97-Deluxe

And yes, one single fan at max speed can draw 6.6W

But maybe i could connect them to the motherboard using the chasis fan headers ? That will do the trick ? Obviously i would need extension cables...

On noctua site it says to read my mb's manual to see how much power the fan header can support. it says to not pass 12W

Caution: Common mainboard fan headers support up to 9.6 or 12W (check your mainboard manual for detailed information). Please thus make sure that the combined power draw of the fans connected to one fan header using NA-YC1 adaptors does not exceed this value!

Motherboard is ASUS Z97-Deluxe

But maybe i could connect them to the motherboard using the chasis fan headers ? That will do the trick ? Obviously i would need extension cables...

You need to draw power from PSU or a fan controller which connects to a PSU.

Your chassis fan splits does connect to PSU.  Mostly, molex

Yes i have options, but I was looking for a different method. Damn fan headers :lol:

You could always use this..

http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=2&cid=11&id=63

Power from Molex. PWM control from a motherboard header. I'm using 3 of these in my PC to control 8 Noctua PPC fans and it works exactly as you'd expect it to.

2x GTX780 (@1.29ghz) | 2x 840evo 250GB raid0 | i5 4690k (@4.7ghz) | Watercooled Modded H440 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/255872-project-whiteout-v20-h440-watercooled-3xradiators-10-fans

when the fan is at max speed, that isn't maximum load. usually startup is the

maximum amp/watt load. and once the fan reaches maximum rpm, the load

diminishes. 

since those fans are PWM, best to use a power splitter.

power from PSU and PWM signal from motherboard.

IMG_0994_600_400.gif

this way no load through the mobo and the PSU will power the fans using good

gauged wire, not mobo traces. also, sometimes mobo power isn't a full 12v.

You do know the Kraken x61 has a SATA connector to power the fans already.

The fan header is only to read and control the fan speed, all the power comes from the SATA connector, which supports 4 fans.

Exactly the same as airdeano said, just built onto the unit.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTQwNDA5NDI3MW5STll0QkNTRXlfMl82X2wuanBn

Review:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/07/10/nzxt_kraken_x61_aio_liquid_cpu_cooler_review/2#.VF8ZPskjVRU

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTQwNDA5NDI3MW5STll0QkNTRXlfMl81X2wuanBn

The pump speed is controller via the USB connector, the pump fan header only supplies the power.