Do you think that controllers are designed to reduce perception of input latency?

interneteducated

Compared to a keyboard and mouse the actuation point of controllers in general seems to be a little less clear as to where they are. Both mice and keyboards have very distinctive points that you know that you've sent the signal to the computer. On a controller the sticks and the the triggers are analog which means that there is no perceptible actuation point and on all the buttons on every controller I'v used are some level of mushy with no clear actuation point.

Insert Sarcasm / Raging / Bragging / Inspirational Crap Here.

tbh, if you enable VSYNC and a controller on a game, you'll spot the input lag. If you turn it off, sure you'll see a smoother gameplay.. but that's a personal preference only.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Compared to a keyboard and mouse the actuation point of controllers in general seems to be a little less clear as to where they are. Both mice and keyboards have very distinctive points that you know that you've sent the signal to the computer. On a controller the sticks and the the triggers are analog which means that there is no perceptible actuation point and on all the buttons on every controller I'v used are some level of mushy with no clear actuation point.

nope if anything i notice it more

The very purpose of analog control sticks and triggers is to allow for smooth three-dimensional movement WITHOUT an actuation point. Can you imagine how bad it would suck if controllers clicked every time you changed the XY coordinates of your control stick? And don't get me started on using a keyboard for driving games... Analog triggers or steering wheels win there.

Git Gud.

The very purpose of analog control sticks and triggers is to allow for smooth three-dimensional movement WITHOUT an actuation point. Can you imagine how bad it would suck if controllers clicked every time you changed the XY coordinates of your control stick? And don't get me started on using a keyboard for driving games... Analog triggers or steering wheels win there.

I can use a keyboard for any game.

I would say so. I'm fine with a game running as low as 30 fps if I'm using a controller because of the "smoothness" associated with the motion that's not jerky precise movements.

The analogue L2/R2 triggers on a PS4 controller bug me slightly, sometimes when I try rapid firing a pistol, I don't reach the actuation point (which I can't feel) and I randomly stop shooting. I find a mouse easier in that regard.

What I've noticed when using my Xbox controller on my pc is that there's a little bit of wiggle where it doesn't register (for the sticks) and when you start feeling resistance that's when the computer picks it up. I'm not sure if that wiggle room at the neutral position is a flaw with mine or a design of the controller but I hope it isn't (I know it wasn't there on my GC controller that). As for the analogue triggers.. Can't be sure.. I know the GC controller is always being picked up. ^_^

I think the only time I've noticed the whole, "fast actuations" in a game, keyboards, controllers, mice, had jack shit to do with it.

It was an arcade/fight stick and Street Fighter IV, something I'll be experimenting with very soon when I start testing different buttons and things. I'll even be doing Cherry MX switches to see how they compare

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM