Any drawbacks to getting a bigger HDD?

apav

I never imagined that I'd need more than 1TB of space for my gaming computer (back in 2011 when I built my computerI thought it was overkill). But I'm starting to get starved for space so I think it's time. I originally was going to get the 2TB WD Black (new FZEX model), but the 3TB model is not too much more, and with games starting to take about 40-50GB of space, I think the difference is worth it. But I know practically nothing about high capacity drives. Is the 3TB model faster/slower/the same as the 2TB model? How about reliability? I tried looking it up but I was seeing a lot of contradicting answers. I guess there are a lot of myths surrounding this.

Appreciate the help!

Makes no difference just more space

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Personally, if you want a WD Black, get a SSD.

Because he had a hard drive.

No difference, but I've heard that the 4TBs use double platters or are slower. Not 100% sure about that. 3TBs are fine though, I use them

I never imagined that I'd need more than 1TB of space for my gaming computer (back in 2011 when I built my computerI thought it was overkill). But I'm starting to get starved for space so I think it's time. I originally was going to get the 2TB WD Black (new FZEX model), but the 3TB model is not too much more, and with games starting to take about 40-50GB of space, I think the difference is worth it. But I know practically nothing about high capacity drives. Is the 3TB model faster/slower/the same as the 2TB model? How about reliability? I tried looking it up but I was seeing a lot of contradicting answers. I guess there are a lot of myths surrounding this.

Appreciate the help!

Get the 3TB drive - the only problem is that if you don't use it for 4-5 years, the prices of other components might drop so much that it would have cost you less to buy a 2TB drive now and a 1TB one later. But I don't think that's a huge factor here, and it's not a massive sum either. HDD prices aren't likely to drop in the near future, from what I can tell, and if you're starved for space in your case, having separate drives would be bad too.

Other than that, there's no difference. 

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Please, tell me more about consumer-grade 2TB SSDs.

OP, I don't think there's a lot of difference. Go for the 3TB.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I already have 2 ssd's, but I need a big capacity high performance drive for all my games.

No difference really. Hard drives that have more platters generally tend to be slower, but nothing that you will notice too much.

My name is Sebastian, I relate to Linus

2BN-0006-00017-01.jpg

2BN-0006-00017-01.jpg

And how much does it cost? A lot more than the WD Black? I guessed so.....

Is also PCIe, not SATA.

And how much does it cost? A lot more than the WD Black? I guessed so.....

Is also PCIe, not SATA.

Wow...

No one clicks the photo

This particular model hard drive I'm getting uses 800GB platters. I didn't know if that affects anything at higher capacity. I'm also wondering why they haven't changed to full TB platters.

Fragmentation is a pain in the arsch... Especially if you don't defrag after you hit 10%...

Wow...

No one clicks the photo

8K dollars for 4TB.... He could get a WD Black for about 200 dollars....

Posted Image
Well I guess I don't mind paying $7460 more.

8K dollars for 4TB.... He could get a WD Black for about 200 dollars....

22-502-195-01.jpg

Thanks to all who replied. So what I'm going to take from this is that they're pretty much the same in both speed and reliability.

The 3TB is only $40 more, better to get that space now than need another drive or a higher capacity later.

A lot of 2 and 3 TB drives are stacked 1TB platters, so the "not a single platter" argument isn't really something to worry about.

WD black is a solid drive, buy the 3TB, you won't regret it...

Unless some day you decide you should have gotten a 4TB...

Appreciate the help!

The reliability shouldn't be an issue. The main advantage is that there is higher storage density and a lower likelihood of failure (fewer drives for a given amount of storage space).

The downside is that it is more expensive to replace an individual drive. You also will have lower performance for the same amount of storage space. For instance, two 3 1TB drives could theoretically serve up data much faster than a single 3TB drive.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

There is a 2tb limit in old versions of hardware and Windows. I don't think it should be a problem for you but I just thought I'd mention it.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Thanks guys. I don't know if that 2TB limit is applicable. I have Windows 7 (also dual booting Windows Technical Preview on another SSD) and this is not a boot drive.

Also have a related question for you guys. Newegg has the 3TB version for $180 but the deal expires today. Would I find it for cheaper around Black Friday or the holidays, or is this most likely the cheapest it will be and I should buy now? 

Thanks again!