New router help, please.

johnnyTheMac

Hello,

I am in the market for a new router. Right now, I have an ISP router/modem combo. It is just okay and it is only a single band router. I am looking for a dual band router that will work well with streaming PC games to my tablet.My house is fully wired, but I will need really good wireless for times that I am not. I am relatively new to network hardware, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh, I don't really have a budget and I don't really know what a good and reliable router will cost...I am guessingaround or under $200?

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

Netgear R7000

Thank you. That is the one that I first came across in my search. Is this considered "the best" in its price range? Do I need a certain type of wifi on my device (Surface Pro 3 or Android device w/KitKat/Lollipop)?

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

Thank you. That is the one that I first came across in my search. Is this considered "the best" in its price range? Do I need a certain type of wifi on my device (Surface Pro 3 or Android device w/KitKat/Lollipop)?

Yep it's pretty much the best router you can get for the money. I upgraded to it a few months ago and I definitely love the extra speed and range. You don't need a certain type of WiFi on your device, as it's an AC router but is backwards compatible with G and N devices.

"Rawr XD"

Yep it's pretty much the best router you can get for the money. I upgraded to it a few months ago and I definitely love the extra speed and range. You don't need a certain type of WiFi on your device, as it's an AC router but is backwards compatible with G and N devices.

Perfect! Thank you very much. Do you know anything about how to hook this up to my modem/router combo? I mean, I know that I run my main ethernet cable from the modem to the router, but is there something I have to disable on the ISP provided modem/router to ensure the the Netgear will function properly?

Perfect! Thank you very much. Do you know anything about how to hook this up to my modem/router combo? I mean, I know that I run my main ethernet cable from the modem to the router, but is there something I have to disable on the ISP provided modem/router to ensure the the Netgear will function properly?

You shouldn't have to. The worst thing that could happen is that the router built into the modem will still function alongside the Netgear router, but just don't connect to it.

"Rawr XD"

You shouldn't have to. The worst thing that could happen is that the router built into the modem will still function alongside the Netgear router, but just don't connect to it.

Will that cause any type of interference?

I'd recommend an Asus RT-N66R.  I retired an older Linksys.  I work remotely so uptime, speed and range are very important to me - this crushes my older Linksys in all categories.  Now, I don't have any 'real' measurements to provide, but, I can tell you my speeds are much better at much farther distances.  This router sits in my basement, and good signal reaches all 3 levels of my house.

If you have any AC devices, I'd recommend the AC version of this.

5 of our remote employees have one of these Asus routers and are very pleased.  No issues so far, 1+ years ownership.

Will that cause any type of interference?

If you have several wireless networks in your house, you may have to set each to a different channel, or disable one if it isn't in use.

I'd recommend an Asus RT-N66R.  I retired an older Linksys.  I work remotely so uptime, speed and range are very important to me - this crushes my older Linksys in all categories.  Now, I don't have any 'real' measurements to provide, but, I can tell you my speeds are much better at much farther distances.  This router sits in my basement, and good signal reaches all 3 levels of my house.

If you have any AC devices, I'd recommend the AC version of this.

5 of our remote employees have one of these Asus routers and are very pleased.  No issues so far, 1+ years ownership.

Thanks!

Sorry, I posted this previously, but it still goes in here:

"Do you know anything about how to hook this up to my modem/router combo? I mean, I know that I run my main ethernet cable from the modem to the router, but is there something I have to disable on the ISP provided modem/router to ensure the the new router will function properly?"

Thanks!

"Do you know anything about how to hook this up to my modem/router combo? I mean, I know that I run my main ethernet cable from the modem to the router, but is there something I have to disable on the ISP provided modem/router to ensure the the new router will function properly?"

What is the manufacturer and model number of your modem/router combo also, who is the ISP? 

Using 2 routers would give you a double NAT which is a bit of a pain if you want to host anything inside your network. Most ISP routers have a way of disabling their routing  and wireless functions and act like a dumb bridge.

Laptop - Gigabyte P34G - 14" 1080p i7 4700HQ, nVidia 760M LiteOn 120GB mSATA, 1TB Crucial BX100, Intel AC-7260, 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM, Win 10 Pro x64
Desktop - SilverStone Fortress FT02B i5 3570K EVGA GTX 570, Intel 120GB 520,  1TB WD Black HDD, 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM, Win 10 Pro x64

Server - HP MediaSmart Server EX490, Core 2 Duo E8600, 2x WD RED 2TB, 2x WD RED 3TB, Stablebit DrivePool, 4GB Patriot DDR2 RAM, WHS 2011

Thanks!

Normally, no.  I've had Enventis, CenturyLink, Charter, and Hickorytech - no special setup needed (at least not for me).  I'm sure you'll find some ISP's where extra steps are required, your best bet is to call their support line (unfortunately), after you've tried plugging things in yourself.

What is the manufacturer and model number of your modem/router combo also, who is the ISP? 

Using 2 routers would give you a double NAT which is a bit of a pain if you want to host anything inside your network. Most ISP routers have a way of disabling their routing  and wireless functions and act like a dumb bridge.

Thanks!

I don't know that right off hand...I am at work. I believe that it is an Arris modem/router combo and my ISP is Brighthouse.

Thanks!

I don't know that right off hand...I am at work. I believe that it is an Arris modem/router combo and my ISP is Brighthouse.

Netgear routers come with a setup utility that automatically configures it with your modem and ISP settings, so you don't have to do anything, just connect the ethernet output to the WAN input on the router, go through the setup outlined in the quick start guide, and you're ready to go. 

I don't know how to disable the wireless router built in to your modem though as I don't have any experience with it nor can I find a guide online with the info that you've provided. There won't be too much interference if you don't connect to it, and there will be no interference at all if you use the 5GHz band of the Netgear, seeing your ISP router is only single band 2.4GHz. If you wish to disable the built in router, you might have to ask your ISP how to do so.

"Rawr XD"

Netgear R7000

This^^, the R7000 out performs the AC68U in every aspect and also has the best DD-WRT support if you want to go that route because they specifically compiled the kernel for the R7000 instead of using a generic one and modify it to work like on the /Asus routers.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Thanks!

All you have to do is to disable wireless on your ISP gateway or modem/router to your definition so that the other router can broadcast a wireless signal. Another issue is that DHCP service should also be disable on the second router so that your ISP gateway will handle for sending out IP address to any device that will connect to the router that broadcast a signal. Keep firewall ON for the ISP modem and the other router. Leave only one cable connected to the ISP gateway to the wireless router, and use the wireless router ONLY to expand your wired network .

I recently purchased an Asus RT-AC 66U and it's been fantastic so far.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|