HyperX Clouds + Mobile AMP/DAC?

TSM WifiTrash

Hey Guys!

I just bought a pair of the hyped up HyperX Clouds. I am planning on using it for mobile + gaming use.

I am conflicted on whether or not to get a mobile AMP/DAC. The HyperX Cloud has a impedance of 60 ohms; many mobile devices take in headphones with an impedance of 32 ohms, give or take. I am using an iPhone 4 - is it worth it to buy a mobile AMP/DAC in order for my Cloud to sound as great as I have read?

The amp I am planning on buying - a Topping NX1 Portable Amplifier ($40). I am also getting a FiiO L9 Line Out Dock Cable ($10), which is a 30-pin to 4-pole. Is it best to get that, or should I get a 4-pole to 4-pole (3.5mm to 3.5mm) Line Out Cable? If so, which 3.5mm to 3.5mm line out cable should I get?

Hey Guys!

I just bought a pair of the hyped up HyperX Clouds. I am planning on using it for mobile + gaming use.

I am conflicted on whether or not to get a mobile AMP/DAC. The HyperX Cloud has a impedance of 60 ohms; many mobile devices take in headphones with an impedance of 32 ohms, give or take. I am using an iPhone 4 - is it worth it to buy a mobile AMP/DAC in order for my Cloud to sound as great as I have read?

The amp I am planning on buying - a Topping NX1 Portable Amplifier ($40). I am also getting a FiiO L9 Line Out Dock Cable ($10), which is a 30-pin to 4-pole. Is it best to get that, or should I get a 4-pole to 4-pole (3.5mm to 3.5mm) Line Out Cable? If so, which 3.5mm to 3.5mm line out cable should I get?

You already got the clouds in your hand? Plug it to your device, and see if it can go to your desired volume level or not. An amp's function is not to make a headphone sounds better, but to make it sound louder, and maybe eliminate sound distortions and clippings. So if you don't have those conditions (volume too low, distortions and clippings), then an amp won't make it sound better. 

"Take in headphones with impedance of 32 ohms"

Honestly, impedance doesn't make a very big difference when driving headphones, the more important factor is sensitivity (how loud the headphone gets with a given level of power, usually 1 milliwatt)

For instance, my Audeze LCD-2 are 70 ohm, with 93 Decibles SPL at 1 milliwatt of power.  They get plenty loud enough off my nexus 7, and my Ipod touch 3rd gen as well.

My advice, try it first, see if it gets loud enough.  If not, buy an amp.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

"Take in headphones with impedance of 32 ohms"

Honestly, impedance doesn't make a very big difference when driving headphones, the more important factor is sensitivity (how loud the headphone gets with a given level of power, usually 1 milliwatt)

For instance, my Audeze LCD-2 are 70 ohm, with 93 Decibles SPL at 1 milliwatt of power.  They get plenty loud enough off my nexus 7, and my Ipod touch 3rd gen as well.

My advice, try it first, see if it gets loud enough.  If not, buy an amp.

Adding this, 150 ohms HD650 ran just fine straight off my Ipad 3

Adding this, 150 ohms HD650 ran just fine straight off my Ipad 3

HD650 is 300 ohm isn't it?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

HD650 is 300 ohm isn't it?

Ooops my bad. Yeah, 300 ohms is the right number.

*Source needed

Well, if it's quoted for that sentence alone, it's not entirely wrong. Mobile devices take in 32 ohms headphones, as well as 64 ohms, 150 ohms, 300 ohms, etc. It's like saying, 'compact cars can go 20 mph'. Of course they can go 20 mph, and 30 mph, 50 mph, and so forth...

* 50% trolling, 50% showing the OP what 'mobile devices take in 32 ohms headphones' really means....:)

I'm using a pair of DT770 pro 250 ohm with my GN3 and i definitely notice that the volume is lower then what I'd like it to be, but with the hyperX cloud i doubt you would have to worry about that

I use an AMP even with my IEMs, which are under 32 ohms, but I feel I can hear a difference, the bass is tighter and the mids and highs are cleaner.

maybe its a placebo, but I'll always go with an DAC/AMP for the best listening experience.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

I use an AMP even with my IEMs, which are under 32 ohms, but I feel I can hear a difference, the bass is tighter and the mids and highs are cleaner.

maybe its a placebo, but I'll always go with an DAC/AMP for the best listening experience.

The only thing I can think of to make that case would be output impedance and noise. Won't need tons of power of course, but it's gotta be low noise, low output impedance powa. And if using a particularly sensitive IEM with something like O2, be wary of channel imbalance at low volume pot levels.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?