Is my CPU running hot?

If you don't have time to read my story you can simply answer this question for me, what is a normal CPU temperature for an intel i7 980? (Or other intel i7s.) What is the optimal idle temp, and load temp? What temp is getting dangerously hot when it's too much? My CPU idle (just sitting in BIOS watching temp) today was 37C (98F), seems really hot for idle?

If you do have time to read my story, here it is. Today I received my Noctua NH-U14S in the mail.

I'm currently using an 3 year old liquid cooling system, that I'm replacing with the Noctua. This is the first time I have installed a CPU cooler before & my system before was installed for me. I took off the water block and noticed that it had a TON of thermal paste on it. In fact, is was even spilling off the edges slightly. Upon looking at the block, it looked like the whole thing where the CPU was (square shaped) had been covered in paste at one point. So I cleaned everything with iso 99% alcohol. Then....it came to my realization I had made a mistake, and the back plate with my Noctua was not compatible...I'm an using an LGA1366 motherboard. So I had to re install the liquid cooler for now until tomorrow so I could use my PC.

So I ordered one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N38S6U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the link to the product on Noctua: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=30&lng=en

So this should enable me to use my Noctua NH-U14S to my knowledge on my current motherboard until my overhaul upgrade. It's arriving tomorrow. So tomorrow I should be able to use my new Noctua, which I will be purchasing a 2nd fan for as well for push/pull. 

Previously in BIOS (So I guess you could say idle temp just sitting in BIOS) my CPU temp was 30C-31C all the time. I replaced a super old Koolance liquid in my water system today, very old, with simple distilled water. I also applied thermal paste when reinstalling my cooling system, but the paste was also very old (3+years ago) that came with the cooling system. Upon replacing my liquid system, (now with distilled water and reapplied thermal paste) my CPU temps in BIOS are 36-37C consistently. Why would this be? (5-6C higher than before I reinstalled) Also is this too hot? I'm using the same system (until I put on my Noctua tomorrow) but this time distilled water and new paste.

Here is my question:

Why would this be so much higher? Is it possibly because of replacing with distilled water?(Maybe not as good as Koolance?) Or because the paste is old? (But the paste on the CPU before was also just as old) Or would it possibly be because I didn't apply enough thermal paste? It seems like there was a TON before when I took this off. I put a moderate amount on but really not that much, because in all of Linus' videos he says/shows to only put a little bit. I'm really trying to figured out this tonight because tomorrow I will be installing the Noctua, and I want to make sure I'm applying the right amount of thermal paste. I applied a small amount right in the center, in a small line down the middle maybe 3/4 of a inch long.

As long as your CPU isn't going over 70c then you should be fine. 37c isn't anything to worry about.

About the change in temps after just taking off and reseating the CPU cooler, I don't know why it would jump up like that. You might want to check if the cooler is tighten down evenly.

I found this video helpful for applying thermal compound, it can give you some idea of how much would be sufficient.

Edit: This might help alsohttp://www.buildcomputers.net/cpu-temperature.html

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

As long as your CPU isn't going over 70c then you should be fine. 37c isn't anything to worry about.

About the change in temps after just taking off and reseating the CPU cooler, I don't know why it would jump up like that. You might want to check if the cooler is tighten down evenly.

I found this video helpful for applying thermal compound

oh god not that video, he gets it everywhere !!!

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

A small dot of thermal paste is all you need and not all over the place like in that video

I found this video helpful for applying thermal compound, it can give you some idea of how much would be sufficient.

Edit: This might help alsohttp://www.buildcomputers.net/cpu-temperature.html

Thanks for the info man! Very helpful. :)

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]