Needed space.Bought new HDD.Need opinions! Please :)

1991luk

I tried to download a torrent yesterday and I noticed I didn't had much space left on the HDD so I tought about buying a new one.Here's the catch!

I needed a bigger HDD to install games on it and also for tv-shows/movies *sometimes* (I have an HTPC packed with a 3TB EZRX WD Green and a Scorpio Black BPKT of 500gb).The thing is that on my main rig I have an old 1TB Caviar Blue (the WD10EALX) and it is pretty old,it has almost 10k power on hours and a 128GB crucial SSD which takes care of the OS but the HDD is pretty rusty.I have a 500Mb/s internet connection and when I download with 60mb/s it doesn't take very long until the cache fills up and the HDD is overloaded.

Okay,okay,sorry for telling you all that.I bought a WD 2TB Se (WD2000F9YZ) for about 60$,brand new,sealed.Not a refurbished.I basically got a 2TB "enterprise"-level HDD for the price of a 1TB Blue.The thing is that I know it was a good deal,but is it what I am looking for?I will install games on it and keep a lot of movies.I will leave the caviar blue for torrents exclusively.Is it going to handle it?

Edit: The HDD will arrive tomorrow.

I tried to download a torrent yesterday and I noticed I didn't had much space left on the HDD so I tought about buying a new one.Here's the catch!

I needed a bigger HDD to install games on it and also for tv-shows/movies *sometimes* (I have an HTPC packed with a 3TB EZRX WD Green and a Scorpio Black BPKT of 500gb).The thing is that on my main rig I have an old 1TB Caviar Blue (the WD10EALX) and it is pretty old,it has almost 10k power on hours and a 128GB crucial SSD which takes care of the OS but the HDD is pretty rusty.I have a 500Mb/s internet connection and when I download with 60mb/s it doesn't take very long until the cache fills up and the HDD is overloaded.

Okay,okay,sorry for telling you all that.I bought a WD 2TB Se (WD2000F9YZ) for about 60$,brand new,sealed.Not a refurbished.I basically got a 2TB "enterprise"-level HDD for the price of a 1TB Blue.The thing is that I know it was a good deal,but is it what I am looking for?I will install games on it and keep a lot of movies.I will leave the caviar blue for torrents exclusively.Is it going to handle it?

Edit: The HDD will arrive tomorrow.

It will be fine, it might be a tiny bit slower but it will be more reliable

SYSTEM SPECS

i7 4790k | LTT Edition Noctua NH-U12S | Gigabyte Z97-SOC Force | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 | 120GB Samsung 850 EVO | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | NVIDIA GTX 980ti | H440 Orange | EVGA 650B3 PSU

That was my first tought but how slow?My 1TB EALX Blue drive right now maxes out at about 140 mb/s.How much is that "tiny bit"? Thanks for replying :)

you could not get a worse hdd for games. frequently start/stops,long idle times combined with big spin-up delay and smaller data transfer speeds.get seagate barracuda next time m8

I will never go to any other HDD manufacturer ever.I would've gone for the WD Black instead but like I said,I bought it from a guy :).It's sealed,it's a lot more than 50% off price.The thing about start/stops is not present on this drive from what I know...It will be used non-stop by uTorrent anyways.

There's nothing wrong with that drive. You got a good deal, enjoy it!

BTW, I don't understand the 10K thing on the Blue. Why are you worried? I have two drives (not Blues obviously) that have over 95K on them. Are Blues known for being excessively fragile?

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Hi, @1991luk

You have purchased a pretty good drive. The truth is that it is recommended to be used in NAS enclosures, with some RAID set, etc. Actually, it is not the drive we recommend for high performance, but it surely is a reliable one, which has the necessary features to support gaming and watching movies. I would say that this drive should serve you well. The deal you got was a good one.

@Dimwitted, the WD Blue drives are not fragile drives. Actually, they are pretty good and can handle heavy daily usage. I believe that some users feel worried when drives get a bit old. There may be some truth in that, because we all know that drive failure could happen. The key is to have important data backed up and keep monitoring drive health.

Hope this helps

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/

Thanks for the info,R2D2_WD!

I can't wait for it to arrive.If it wasn't for this guy who sold this to me I would've bought a 1TB Black from the store which is a little bit expensive (about 10$ more) and that's why I knew I made a good call.

Yes,my Blue drive closes on 10K power on hours but it runs ok.It lacks the responsiveness that it had a few years ago but the speed is almost the same (I believe it was the first SATA3 HDD in my country but the speeds were not that different at the time).I take good care of my drives,I keep them cool,good conditions with the hope that they'll reach 100k power on hours (dreams).All my drives never got past 33*C but they usually run at 26-28 degrees.

I'll come back with some thoughts about it.I'm already thinking about the partitions,I think I might go with 1 partition for each drive (so 1.86TB on the Se,931GB on the Blue).It will feel weird having the same amount of space on my main rig as my HTPC :D

I'm using a WD RE series of 1TB drives in my rig (enterprise too) and I max out at around 135MB/s, so I don't think that speed will be an issue at your current 500Mb/s connection which translated into 68.5MB/s. If you do plan on getting an upgrade in the near future and keeping in mind that the Se is meant to be used in RAID and heavy duty environments, I recommend picking up another identical drive and setting them in RAID 0 with the Green as a backup. These drives scale quite well in RAID 0 and in the 2 years of me owning two RE drives, they have never failed on me.

I've attached screenshots showing the scalability these drives offer and I hope this information helps when you download Ubuntu distros using Torrents! :P:)

post-14430-0-80789100-1415193697.jpg

post-14430-0-50003100-1415193703.jpg

PC in Profile

My WD 2TB Se just arrived! It's uber-OK.It managed to score a 140mb/s average in HDTune and the max speed was 170 mb/s.It's waay more than the Blue drive!