Building a Powerhouse - Avoiding Overkill

sendekyo

There are tons of benchmarks out there, but the majority of them only test using certain resolutions (1080p, 1440p, 4k). If they use multiple monitors, then they're usually testing Surround or Eyefinity. But what about the streamers and multi-taskers? I know it should require a lot of hardware to do everything, but how do you achieve it without it turning into overkill?

1. Budget & Location
Shooting for under $3,000 US. The cheaper, the better. I made a couple attempts using PCPartPicker:

Z97: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/sendekyo/saved/MkhKHx
X99: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/sendekyo/saved/8CpzK8

2. Aim
A multitasking monster that's moderately future-proof and quiet.
Ideally I would like to game using high/ultra settings. The games I currently play include SC2, Heroes of the Storm, SWTOR, and ArcheAge. I'd also like to run several applications in addition any game including OBS for Twitch streaming, TweetDeck in Chrome, iTunes, and Firefox for web browsing and/or watching Twitch/YouTube. Obviously, multiple monitors will be used, but without Surround or Eyefinity.

3. Monitors
I currently use two 1080p monitors, but I would like to purchase at least one additional display capable of better FPS. I'll upload a couple examples that I stitched together:

3 Monitor Layout: http://oi59.tinypic.com/1qojz6.jpg
4 Monitor Layout: http://oi60.tinypic.com/6honrn.jpg

4. Peripherals
I have two monitors and a mouse, but would like to get at least one additional display capable of better FPS and a mechanical keyboard. From the research I've done, I believe brown switches would be best.

5. Why are you upgrading?
Check my profile for my current computer's description...

Am I on the right track? Please respond if you have any critiques or recommendations.

-

Welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics ;)

The x99 build is very well done, and considering you want to get some streaming going the extra cores are justified. The only things I changed are the cpu, since the 5820k is essentially a lower clocked 5930k for 200$+ less (you don't need the extra pcie lanes), and the ram, because I'm not sure you'll need 32gb of it and you'll have all the time you need to decide if you do or not later (mybe the prices will be lower, too).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DQtJTW

I should warn you about this though: there is no such thing as a futureproof pc. This stuff gets outdated in the blink of an eye and you can always upgrade in the future when better parts will be less expensive if need be. My advice is always to get exactly what you need now or in the close future if you have a precise plan (for example, you already know you'll want another monitor). Since by making the above changes we spare a considerable amount of money, you might want to consider going 4k: I can personally guarantee you it's worth every penny. You can find a pb287q unboxing in my description, it's a very good monitor for gaming and working alike.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Micro Center) 

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z97 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($109.92 @ Newegg) 

Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($127.97 @ Amazon) 

Storage: *Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz) 

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($269.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($269.99 @ Amazon) 

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Newegg) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 

Monitor: *Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 

Monitor: Asus VN248H-P 23.8" Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 

Monitor: Asus VN248H-P 23.8" Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 

Keyboard: Ducky DK2108-BUSLLA Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($92.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards) 

Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn Wired Optical Mouse  (Purchased For $0.00) 

Total: $1963.72

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-03 16:28 EST-0500

Yum.

Hello and thank you for the welcome, Sauron. I appreciate you taking time away from Middle Earth to respond to my thread.
Thank you as well, Demons Wrath. You guys must work together.

I'm surprised. I presumed my GPU selection would be the hot debate considering what I want to accomplish, so I'm surprised almost everything was addressed except for that.

Originally, I had selected the 5820k as well, but decided to switch when I learned it didn't have as many PCIe lanes (28 vs 40). I figured the graphic demands are high when using three or four monitors, so I just assumed x16/x16 would be better as compared to x16/x8. I realize you said that I will not need the extra lanes, but do you believe two 290 GPUs will handle everything I mentioned, or would that be cutting it close? It's so hard to make this judgment call without finding any other real-life comparisons.

For example, Tom's Hardware recommends two Radeon R9 290 cards in Crossfire, but Hardware Revolution says to avoid it and recommends two Geforce GTX 970 in SLI instead.

Tom's: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-6.html
H-R: http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-video-card-best-gpu-fall-2014/

I had assumed a display capable of better framerates than the standard 60Hz would be ideal, but I don't play any first-person shooters so maybe it really isn't the best choice for me. I will read your review on the 4K monitor as soon as I post this reply.

Regarding a "future-proof" PC, I completely understand. I built my computer in 2005 as they started phasing out DDR in favor of DDR2, but I didn't pay attention to that stuff at the time because this was my first build. So I was already behind when I started; however, it was able to handle just about everything for several years with minimal upgrades. That's what I'm aiming for: computer happiness for several years.

Thank you both very much for your opinions. It's great to hear responses directed toward my situation for a change rather than reading about vague topics on the internet.

I want this build so much.. :( You could even get a waterblock and rad for the 980 and watercool it.

Hell if you want you could even get a second 980.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($569.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X 90.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($169.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($223.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($194.99 @ Adorama) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($586.13 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $2297.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-03 17:07 EST-0500

Hello and thank you for the welcome, Sauron. I appreciate you taking time away from Middle Earth to respond to my thread.

Thank you as well, Demons Wrath. You guys must work together.

I'm surprised. I presumed my GPU selection would be the hot debate considering what I want to accomplish, so I'm surprised almost everything was addressed except for that.

Originally, I had selected the 5820k as well, but decided to switch when I learned it didn't have as many PCIe lanes (28 vs 40). I figured the graphic demands are high when using three or four monitors, so I just assumed x16/x16 would be better as compared to x16/x8. I realize you said that I will not need the extra lanes, but do you believe two 290 GPUs will handle everything I mentioned, or would that be cutting it close? It's so hard to make this judgment call without finding any other real-life comparisons.

For example, Tom's Hardware recommends two Radeon R9 290 cards in Crossfire, but Hardware Revolution says to avoid it and recommends two Geforce GTX 970 in SLI instead.

Tom's: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-6.html

H-R: http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-video-card-best-gpu-fall-2014/

Two R9 290's will run like 99% easily as long as there is good Crossfire support but, Tom's hardware doesn't recommend them he says they are honorable mentions you are better of going SLI 970 or one 980 and upgrade later to SLI 980's. For now one 980 will be good for gaming, I don't know what rendering depends on but If I am correct it depends mostly on Cores and RAM not really on the GPU. Running 290's in crossfire might be nice but it will consume a lot of power and produce a lot of heat. H-R's also says this which will be my last point made: '' The Geforce GTX 980 is the new king of video cards, offering the highest performance on a single-GPU video card. Not only does it offer more performance than the Radeon R9 290X, it does so while consuming less power, running cooler and being more quiet! ''

...you are better of going SLI 970 or one 980 and upgrade later to SLI 980's. For now one 980 will be good for gaming, I don't know what rendering depends on but If I am correct it depends mostly on Cores and RAM not really on the GPU...

Yeah, I have to agree with you. The newer Nvidia GPUs are definitely cooler, quieter, and require less power than the current AMD GPUs.

I want this build so much.. :( You could even get a waterblock and rad for the 980 and watercool it.

Hell if you want you could even get a second 980.

Thanks for the parts list. I'm definitely leaning toward using a GTX 980 or something equivalent to start. Then I can always get a second GPU at the same time as the new monitor(s). The jury's still out on whether it will be 4K/60Hz or 1440p/144Hz.

I've never done watercooling before, which was why I was leaning toward an AIO. I don't even know what's involved in the installation of anything besides a waterblock on the CPU.

What would it accomplish? Cooler temps? Less noise?

Yeah, I have to agree with you. The newer Nvidia GPUs are definitely cooler, quieter, and require less power than the current AMD GPUs.

Thanks for the parts list. I'm definitely leaning toward using a GTX 980 or something equivalent to start. Then I can always get a second GPU at the same time as the new monitor(s). The jury's still out on whether it will be 4K/60Hz or 1440p/144Hz.

I've never done watercooling before, which was why I was leaning toward an AIO. I don't even know what's involved in the installation of anything besides a waterblock on the CPU.

What would it accomplish? Cooler temps? Less noise?

For 4k I am unsatisfied that the GTX 970/980 is a good investment. It's four times the pixel count at 1920x1080 and the most demanding games can take as much as 3gb to completely max out the game at 1080. Both the 970s and 980s only have 4gb. Effectively you'd be playing on a 1080 monitor with 1gb of v-ram. We've barely begun to tame 4k for gaming and as such, I would recommend the RoG Swift instead. If you go with AMD cards, I'd wait on getting a second card and wait for the Free Sync monitor to become available before you grab a second card and the monitor.

For AIO's, typically they cool just as well as monster heatsinks, but aren't typically quieter because they all have a degree of pump noise. If you want a truly quiet system you want a monster heatsink and good airflow throughout the case. You can then set the fan speeds to quiet for good airflow and low noise. A full water cooled system can be quiet, but it's expensive to do well and provided you get a good pump it will remain quiet. But it seems to me the primary reason for full water cooling in a system is for aesthetics.