I'm finally looking for new headphones

Syntaxvgm

I'm not an audio expert, so I though it'd be good to get  some opinions. 

So my budget is 100-150 USD. I could go more if it's really worth it. 

I listen to a lot of metal, but I like more flat headphones, I don't like a lot of bass exaggeration or that kinda crap, even though I like to raise the highs and lows for metal. 

I prefer to do that through an equalizer, especially since I don't like any audio changes for games, movies, or other types of music. I want them to be able to accept a large amount of bass without distorting. I mean at this price range that should not be an issue. 

The last pair I had was the Sony MDR-7506, which is basically just a rebrand of the V6.  

There were pretty good, especially for the price, though they exaggerated the highs a bit for my taste, and really fell apart quickly despite taking good core of them. 

I prefer over the ear headphones, and closed back. I think open ones sound better, but I need something that doesn't share my music with the whole world.  :mellow:

I prefer something with a removable/replaceable cord, but not having one won't eliminate an option for me if everything else looks good. 

No microphone needed. 

I want them to be reasonably comfortable for long wear. I'm tall and have a proportional (lol large) head. For my height and width, you don't notice it, but I make headphones look like a stretch limo sometimes. Seriously, I mean a friend of mine who I've known for years out of the blue was like "I just noticed you have a really big head" when I was sitting in his car. Idk how that would factor into what pair I should get, but you are the experts, and I felt that was worth mentioning. 

Hopefully more durable than my Sony headphones were, but idk if I can get all of that at this price. 

You are free to suggest over budget if you truly think the extra cost is justified. I plan to keep using these headphones until they break like my last pair. While I'm not an audio expert or a complete audiophile, I listen to music and other things every day and sometimes all day, so they will get their use. 

Thanks

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Audio Technica ATH-M40x or M50x.

(I have the M20x and they are pretty good for the price)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Those appear to be open ear. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Audio Technica ATH-M40x or M50x.

(I have the M20x and they are pretty good for the price)

Looking at reviews. They sure do look nice. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Those appear to be open ear. 

yeah my bad didn't read that part sorry  :P

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

How about some Superman headphones? I've heard they're quite popular.

post-14986-0-85928200-1414988757.jpg

:D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

MDR 1r or MDR 10r

I have the MDr 1r's and they are honestly the best headphones I've ever tried (over the ath m50s) 

the longer you wear them the most you forget about them.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

There's nothing that is really an upgrade from the Sonys in that price range. You can try Shure 440 with 840 pads if you want but I think you should just replace the pads on the 7506 which is what I assumed fell apart since I've owned those in the past. The headphone themselves are extremely durable so I doubt that it's broken. You likely just have to replace the pads. 

Looking at reviews. They sure do look nice. 

They're no better than the 7506 and they are less comfortable. 

Edit: One headphone that I did forget about though is the AKG K550. Those are around $130 used which is in your budget. 

There's nothing that is really an upgrade from the Sonys in that price range. You can try Shure 440 with 840 pads if you want but I think you should just replace the pads on the 7506 which is what I assumed fell apart since I've owned those in the past. The headphone themselves are extremely durable so I doubt that it's broken. You likely just have to replace the pads. 

They're no better than the 7506 and they are less comfortable. 

Well the pads got destroyed very fast, and I replaced them. They got destroyed again, and I was about to get velour replacements, but the cord broke in multiple places over time. This is why I want a removable cord. I COULD just replace the cord on them, but I'm leaning toward new headphones. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Out of all the headphones I personally use the Plantronics RIG gaming headset. Here is a link and I'II post some features about them

With these headphones you can use them as gaming headsets for any device. You can remove the mic and just roll with them to listen to music with. You can connect a mixer to your headphones which enable you to change settings and what not.  It also comes with a special little device so when your playing a game or something and your phone rings you can with a single push of a button swap audio from the game to your phone and stuff like that.  

Here is a review by modernwarnegro who keeps stuff real  

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

The last pair I had was the Sony MDR-7506 ... fell apart quickly despite taking good core of them. 

Really? They should've lasted you decades.  :huh:

Really? They should've lasted you decades.  :huh:

The crappy ear pads were the only part I expected to break, and there are plenty of replacements. But the cord wore out. The speakers are just fine. 

muh specs 

All parts black

The crappy ear pads were the only part I expected to break, and there are plenty of replacements. But the cord wore out. The speakers are just fine. 

You wanna send me those broken Sonys then? :D

But yeah I recommend AKG K550 then. They seem to be up your alley. They don't have a detachable cable though. Sony MDR 1R is a bit less neutral but also very good and does have the detachable cable. Both can be found used on ebay for about $120-$130. 

Link didn't work.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Link didn't work.

Ah, just go to mass drop and search up Ath m50

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

oic - it's like mr rarity says, cables always wear out first, even if they don't

So I was debating fixing my sony MDR-7506s or getting something new, probably the m50xs, since they are on mass drop for 119$ atm.

I hear that the M50s have more of a V curve. Is that true? Or do you think they are more flat. I DO prefer a V curve for metal and some other types of music, but I prefer to add that via software. The mdr-7506s seemed flat to me, with more pronounced highs for better orfor worse. I really really loved them for gaming. Besides the crisper highs, I always felt I was hearing everything strait and unchanged, and I like that. 

Does anyone here have m50s or m50xs? Do you think they sound like they have too much base, or compromised/muddled sounding mids?  Do you think they'll sound as good for games? 

That mass-drop price really appeals to me. 

muh specs 

All parts black

So I was debating fixing my sony MDR-7506s or getting something new, probably the m50xs, since they are on mass drop for 119$ atm.

I hear that the M50s have more of a V curve. Is that true? Or do you think they are more flat. I DO prefer a V curve for metal and some other types of music, but I prefer to add that via software. The mdr-7506s seemed flat to me, with more pronounced highs for better orfor worse. I really really loved them for gaming. Besides the crisper highs, I always felt I was hearing everything strait and unchanged, and I like that. 

Does anyone here have m50s or m50xs? Do you think they sound like they have too much base, or compromised/muddled sounding mids?  Do you think they'll sound as good for games? 

That mass-drop price really appeals to me. 

027df31805.png

I don't have graphs for the M40X, but it's supposed to have a tad less bass. Might be worth looking into instead of the 50X

Thanks for the graph. Obviously, I'm not an audio guy, so that's why I posted here. What range do music and general sounds like speech fall? 

muh specs 

All parts black

Thanks for the graph. Obviously, I'm not an audio guy, so that's why I posted here. What range do music and general sounds like speech fall? 

Music falls into every frequency humans can hear. Here's more pics.

500x556px-LL-70a9c91b_main_chart.jpeg

2008522bbc.jpg

Music falls into every frequency humans can hear. Here's more pics.

500x556px-LL-70a9c91b_main_chart.jpeg

2008522bbc.jpg

The m50's have more bass. For most music, that's OK. Do you think that they will muddle anything? Will it sound like those "extra bass" or "gaming" headphones, by that I mean shit for gaming, and muddle anything with too much bass? 

With gaming gunshost, explosions, and other quick and hard sounds that happen at the same time at different ranges. I find some headphones really mess this up, but my 7506s did this really well. 

I gotta be honest, without adding an EQ, my MDR-7506 has too much treble and not enough bass for metal. Leaves a lot to be desired sometimes, however they can stand the extra bass without muddling too much. 

I know I use stupid terms, but the only way i know headphones and sound is just listening and comparing. 

muh specs 

All parts black