Does a UPS prevent short circuits?

TheRunningOtaku

Hey guys,

I was intending to get a UPS for my gaming rig and servers, because every so often something in the house will short out and it'll bring everything down with it. (happened twice so far this year in 2 separate incidents)

Would having a UPS allow the UPS to act as a circuit breaker for the ground instead of the house circuit breaker, stopping the power to the UPS instead? 

Would it act like the circuit breaker in the PSU (in the sense that it'll stop the power to the specific device that caused the trip instead of the whole house) (Basically, when your GPU trips, your PSU will stop the power before the circuit breaker in your house trips)

Thanks!

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Hey guys,

I was intending to get a UPS for my gaming rig and servers, because every so often something in the house will short out and it'll bring everything down with it. (happened twice so far this year in 2 separate incidents)

Would having a UPS allow the UPS to act as a circuit breaker for the ground instead of the house circuit breaker, stopping the power to the UPS instead? 

Would it act like the circuit breaker in the PSU (in the sense that it'll stop the power to the specific device that caused the trip instead of the whole house) (Basically, when your GPU trips, your PSU will stop the power before the circuit breaker in your house trips)

Thanks!

Does the plug not have a fuse in it? They do here in the UK which would protect against short circuits. Also, any good PSU should have short-circuit protection.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Does the plug not have a fuse in it? They do here in the UK which would protect against short circuits. Also, any good PSU should have short-circuit protection.

Not every country has an earth. The UK has the safest circuits in the world (or one of the safest) because we have a pin just for ground + fuses + Europe standards we need to adhere to.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Not every country has an earth. The UK has the safest circuits in the world (or one of the safest) because we have a pin just for ground + fuses + Europe standards we need to adhere to.

Ye ofc but as i said, shouldn't any decent PSU have short-circuit protection?

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Yes. I would argue that any decent PSU should have all the necessary protection mechanisms in place. Not just SCP.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It does - we use the UK plugs here. Same voltage and all. But, there are still shorts that take out the circuit breaker - its there for a reason. 

Yes. I would argue that any decent PSU should have all the necessary protection mechanisms in place. Not just SCP.

All PSUs have short-circuit protection, but if the PSU itself dies or shorts out, it'll cause a trip in the main circuit breaker. I'm wondering what'll happen if the trip happens when the PSU is connected to the UPS instead of the mains? 

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

We have two pins here in Germany xD:D