computer not turning on

ExcitezR

so my dads sister brought over her PC because it was slow so she brought every thing round... i go to set it up and turn it on and first i noticed that the CPU fan wont spin now it does but now its not out putting any thing to the screen i have tried different screens and cable there is no other GPU 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

There's a big chance it's the motheboard that died...

You can try to reset the bios (unplug the power cord from the psu and remove the battery that's on the motherboard, wait 30 seconds, plug the cord back in the psu and try it again.

It's also a good idea to check if all the capacitors are ok, it's possible that a component died and burned a bit... Just check if there's nothing unusual.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Dude that computer looks ancient, it might be dead. However a new CPU doesnt cost much so you could just do that.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

You can try to reset the bios (unplug the power cord from the psu and remove the battery that's on the motherboard, wait 30 seconds, plug the cord back in the psu and try it again.

It's also a good idea to check if all the capacitors are ok, it's possible that a component died and burned a bit... Just check if there's nothing unusual.

Dude that computer looks ancient, it might be dead. However a new CPU doesnt cost much so you could just do that.

thanks and yea it old i have checked the capacitors and there not bulging and she said it worked before she brought it round but now it dont do you think it was because it was transported upright 

PC PART PICKER

thanks and yea it old i have checked the capacitors and there not bulging and she said it worked before she brought it round but now it dont do you think it was because it was transported upright 

Hmmmm, have you checked for broken pins maybe (something could have got bumped)

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

broken pins on the cpu no i haven't cheeked that i dont have any thermal past to out back on it 

PC PART PICKER

i have tired the cmos clear and the only thing that done was make the cpu fan spin faster still no signal is there any thing else i can try? i found out that the system is over 7 years old and that when it got here the cpu fan wasn't spinning do you think it overheated and killed its self or the mobo 

PC PART PICKER

i have tired the cmos clear and the only thing that done was make the cpu fan spin faster still no signal is there any thing else i can try? i found out that the system is over 7 years old and that when it got here the cpu fan wasn't spinning do you think it overheated and killed its self or the mobo 

Change the psu is always a possibility if you have a donor psu around. Also remove all the ram. If the motherboard doesn't beep, you can me very sure the motherboard is dead. If it does beep, the cpu is probably blown up. But tbh if the cpu, mobo or psu is dead, just buy new parts from the current generation, it's really not worth to invest again in a 7 year old pc... Also 7 years is quite good for a pc, it really had it's best time...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Change the psu is always a possibility if you have a donor psu around. Also remove all the ram. If the motherboard doesn't beep, you can me very sure the motherboard is dead. If it does beep, the cpu is probably blown up. But tbh if the cpu, mobo or psu is dead, just buy new parts from the current generation, it's really not worth to invest again in a 7 year old pc... Also 7 years is quite good for a pc, it really had it's best time...

yea i know what you mean but my dads sister cant really afford a new at the moment and there is no beep but it seems like its just no screen signal 

PC PART PICKER

I've been through this plenty of times before.

If your PSU is dead, the two obvious signs are:

Case fans are spinning their d*cks off

Booting OS's on desktop hard drives doesn't work (but works on laptop/SSD's)

I suggest trying a different power supply.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I've been through this plenty of times before.

If your PSU is dead, the two obvious signs are:

Case fans are spinning their d*cks off

Booting OS's on desktop hard drives doesn't work (but works on laptop/SSD's)

I suggest trying a different power supply.

oh right i will have to try this then ill do it tomorrow. its going to look so silly with a 850W PSU hanging out the side of it. 

PC PART PICKER

oh right i will have to try this then ill do it tomorrow. its going to look so silly with a 850W PSU hanging out the side of it. 

When my PSU died, I hooked the thing up to a 650 Watt PSU just to be sure. It worked fine but yeah, it looked a little funny.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

When my PSU died, I hooked the thing up to a 650 Watt PSU just to be sure. It worked fine but yeah, it looked a little funny.

hey guys i got the computer to start now turns out it was the ram stick got moved in shipping so the real reason that she brought it round was because it was slow i found out that it had 512MB ram and a single core intel celeron so i bought a 2 GB kit of DDR2 memory for it do you think it will speed it up?

PC PART PICKER

hey guys i got the computer to start now turns out it was the ram stick got moved in shipping so the real reason that she brought it round was because it was slow i found out that it had 512MB ram and a single core intel celeron so i bought a 2 GB kit of DDR2 memory for it do you think it will speed it up?

Yes it will speed it up for sure. 512 MB of RAM is bad. 2GB is less bad.

it looks like its time to retire that relic.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

it looks like its time to retire that relic.

it not mine and i know but she cant afford it at the moment i offered to build her a new one but she wont have it 

PC PART PICKER

it not mine and i know but she cant afford it at the moment i offered to build her a new one but she wont have it 

ugh, oh well lol

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!