CPU Bottleneck again? WTF?!

Dear linustechtips-Community,

I've recently upgraded my AMD FX 8320 CPU to an Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 CPU, because i had huge Bottlenecks in CPU-intensive Games.

Currently i'm running an older AMD Graphiccard, its the HD 6950 2GB from XFX. I've configured out that my GPU is scaling higher with the CPU and i've got more FPS in several Games, but there are still so many Scenarios where my Card just works with 60%. Also i have the additional Problem that my Card clocks down from 830mhz to 725mhz, i don't even know why?

Well i'm asking myself how is it possible that even a Processor that is in some Scenarios way faster than an Intel Core i7 3770 could bottleneck an old AMD HD 6950... ???

- I never hit a critical Temp-Area with CPU or GPU

- My System uses just up to 330-400 Watts while Gaming (620W Power Supply)

- I'm using enough Ram (8GB DDR3)

- All latest Drivers has been installed

- Installing Games on SSD or HDD doesn't show any difference.

- Same FPS with Low or High Details in the most Games.

- reinstalling Windows several Times

The only 1 thing that i didn't replaced, is my Ram and Power Supply. But i won't say that my Ram or PSU could be the Issue, or?

Its a f*cking Headscratcher by this Test:

my old i5 750 and nVidia GTX 9800GTX+ reached more Framerates in Assassin's Creed 1 than with my current System. I still have on all Assassin's Creed Titels huge Framedrops + low GPU-Usage.

I'm pretty pissed off about that i can't use the whole Perfomance out of my GPU in simple Games like CS:GO, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, Assassins Creed ect.

It can't be true that an overclocked i7 4770K could be the only 1 Option for my weak Card ...

I hope someone can explain that Scenario way better than me and i hope that i can find the issue together with you guys!

(if you need In-Game Screenshots with the low GPU-Usage, tell me that!)

Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Intel Xeon E3-1231v3

8GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600mhz

AMD HD 6950 2GB by XFX

ASRock H97M Pro4 Motherboard

120GB SSD by SanDisk

1TB HDD Black Edition by Western Digital

Optical Drive

620W PSU by Cooler Master

best Regards,

JK

AMD fan boys always fall in ''more cores'' trap and don't look at real performance like Single Thread performance in gaming like i7 4790K is the best.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

I wouldn't think the cpu would be a bottleneck.. Is it possible it could be the gpu?

The Xeon E3-1231v3 just isn't made for gaming dude. 

Who told you that? It's basically an i7 4790 without the iGPU.

"Rawr XD"

AMD fan boys always fall in ''more cores'' trap and don't look at real performance like Single Thread performance in gaming like i7 4790K is the best.

his CPU is exactly the same as the core i7-4790...dude.

OP the games you've mentionned tend to be CPU limited games indeed. sorry.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i think your gpu is the problem :/ the 8320 is a good cpu, and thats coming from me, a preferred intel customer.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I wouldn't think the cpu would be a bottleneck.. Is it possible it could be the gpu?

Should i probably replace my card with a nVidia-Card? Maybe the Communication between GPU and CPU is way better on the newer nVidia-Cards?

The Xeon is the best Option for someone who have a dedicated GPU and does not want to overclock. The Xeon peforms way better than an i5 4690.

Neither of those cpu's would even remotely bottleneck that system.

Your GPU is without a doubt the problem. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Should i probably replace my card with a nVidia-Card? Maybe the Communication between GPU and CPU is way better on the newer nVidia-Cards?

The Xeon is the best Option for someone who have a dedicated GPU and does not want to overclock. The Xeon peforms way better than an i5 4690.

well...your GPU defenetly need an upgrade that's for sure...have you monitored GPU load while playing your games? most of them should be GPU bound with such a weak graphics card except maybe guild wars 2 this is a CPU annihilator...

what resolution are you rendering your games at?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

That's up to you. Honestly both AMD and Nvidia make great cards. I think you just have a defective card. What's your budget, if you decide to replace it?

well...your GPU defenetly need an upgrade that's for sure...have you monitored GPU load while playing your games? most of them should be GPU bound with such a weak graphics card except maybe guild wars 2 this is a CPU annihilator...

what resolution are you rendering your games at?

The most Games @ 1080p but CS for example just @ 1400x1050.

That's up to you. Honestly both AMD and Nvidia make great cards. I think you just have a defective card. What's your budget, if you decide to replace it?

My Budget is pretty open, i'm even able to get a GTX 970. But i don't think that i need that much Power because i'm mainly playing CS:GO, GW2 and sometimes newer Games like Grid Autosport, Metro ect.

''I don't need that much power'' and ''Metro'' shouldn't be in the same phrase.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

NVIDIA GTX970 is the best performance/price ratio on earth. Games benefits from better single thread performance CPU.

''I don't need that much power'' and ''Metro'' shouldn't be in the same phrase.

I mean if some newer Games does not run probably on highest Settings i'm able to lower them, i don't care so much about Enthusiast-Gaming. Excuse me :/

When you talk about enthusiats, you don't talk about 300$ GPU but rather about 1000-6000$ GPU right ?

At least with a gtx 970 you won't have to upgrade for quite some time. I think it'd be a good investment. My 2 cents.

I mean if some newer Games does not run probably on highest Settings i'm able to lower them, i don't care so much about Enthusiast-Gaming. Excuse me :/

If you can get a GTX 970 then get it, really, it will last you a lot longer than that card you currently have. 

Dude, it's basically a 4790 without the iGPU. I'm running a E3-1230v3 and it runs like a dream on games. Don't assume, research before saying something you can't prove..

As for the issue the OP is having. It is your GPU, it is aging fast as they are on the ending of the R9 2xx and R7 2xx series probably releasing the 3xx next year. I'd suggest you upgrade it to something better like a GTX 970 or even a 770 would be good. If not, go for a 280, 280x, or a 290. Always happy to help. :)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Dude, it's basically a 4790 without the iGPU. I'm running a E3-1230v3 and it runs like a dream on games. Don't assume, research before saying something you can't prove..

As for the issue the OP is having. It is your GPU, it is aging fast as they are on the ending of the R9 2xx and R7 2xx series probably releasing the 3xx next year. I'd suggest you upgrade it to something better like a GTX 970 or even a 770 would be good. If not, go for a 280, 280x, or a 290. Always happy to help. :)

Thank you, i think i'll get the GTX 970 then. :)

Thank you, i think i'll get the GTX 970 then. :)

No problem, that's what this tech forum is about. Troubleshooting, chatting, getting answers to questions, and more. It is always nice to see how many people are willing to help someone confused. :) Enjoy that 970!

Also, welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Check your CPU usage while gaming in these same games as well. If your CPU isn't punching 100% then neither the CPU or GPU are a bottleneck.

In short the game's not making use of your entire GPU as it should, unless you're facing these problems in games like BF3. Then you would be having a serious issue.

Another thing you can try doing is disabling HT in your BIOS and see if that changes anything.

As for the card clocking down, that's a given seeing as how the game isn't pushing it past 60% it's going to change power states to conserve on power.

Check your CPU usage while gaming in these same games as well. If your CPU isn't punching 100% then neither the CPU or GPU are a bottleneck.

In short the game's not making use of your entire GPU as it should, unless you're facing these problems in games like BF3. Then you would be having a serious issue.

Another thing you can try doing is disabling HT in your BIOS and see if that changes anything.

As for the card clocking down, that's a given seeing as how the game isn't pushing it past 60% it's going to change power states to conserve on power.

Well my CPU is scaling in CS:GO and GW2 up to 70%, but in all other Games just from 20%-50%.

Actually my Card is even downclocking and upclocking randomly, doesn't matter how much GPU-Usage do i have. Sometimes even 725mhz with 99%-GPU-Usage.

HT is deactivated, i activate it if the Application supports more Threads or using it in Video-Rendering.

Pretty weird to explain that Behavior. It doesn't make sense what my GPU does xD!

Utter BS. Your CPU does not have to be at 100% for it to be bottlenecking the performance. It can be overburdened without it being fully saturated. Like f.e it's having difficulties with a certain thread and it's causing more idle-time in the rest of the cores. That way the load is <100% but still the performance determining factor.

@JenK , you can't expect the CPU to produce a gazillion frames per second. Especially not at 1400xwhatever. If you aren't reaching your GPU load, raise the graphical settings. If they're maxed, and you're reaching sufficient frames per second, you're nagging about nothing at all. ANd if you aren't reaching enough frames, get a better card.

620W PSU by Cooler Master

Which one is it?

Why the hell did you actually buy that Xeon in the first place? A lovely binned 4690K at 4.8GHz would easily destroy that xeon by ~30-35% FPS.

You know better dude..