Speaker replacement [Peugeot 206 from 03]

nemaides

Figured i would make a quick post here since people here are so friendly and i have seen some car enthusiasts on here aswell :)

Does anyone have a guide on how to remove the old door trim + speakers from a Peugeot 206 year 2003? :D

I can only find one for the GTI, which have different interrior.

Of course i could probably get a mechanic to do it and pay him, but i would rather save the money and do it myself if possible :D

Reason for change is that i think my speakers are busted, they can play music from the radio fine-ish, but when it comes to just a little bit bass heavy stuff, it just doesn't output any deep sounds, even though i don't have a dedicated bass, i should be able to hear just a little bit :D

I would go with a whole kit change (new front speakers, added rear speakers + bass and amp), but that's costs wayy to much for my budget :(

580x255_hammond_peugeot.jpg

Sorry, first thing that came to my head. Richard Hammond's Peugeot face.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

580x255_hammond_peugeot.jpg

Sorry, first thing that came to my head. Richard Hammond's Peugeot face.

HAHAHAHA, i freaking love top gear :D I know Peugeot got a wierd reputation about breaking down, but honestly, i only had to change the clutch pedal and that's that   ;) even bought the car used, and i just got around 130000km last week :)

Usually you just pull the door panel off and replace the speaker. Car door speakers are general (in america) one of a standard size, some are like 5inch, or 6in by 9in, etc. It's sort of an industry standard. I'd go with some good pioneer speakers. Usually you just take the screws (hidden by caps usually) out of the panel, and start slowly pulling it off, probably be some snaps that either come off or get broken in the process, usually doesn't matter because the screws hold it on anyways.

I can buy and entire car stereo system in walmart, is that not common overseas?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Usually you just pull the door panel off and replace the speaker. Car door speakers are general (in america) one of a standard size, some are like 5inch, or 6in by 9in, etc. It's sort of an industry standard. I'd go with some good pioneer speakers. Usually you just take the screws (hidden by caps usually) out of the panel, and start slowly pulling it off, probably be some snaps that either come off or get broken in the process, usually doesn't matter because the screws hold it on anyways.

I can buy and entire car stereo system in walmart, is that not common overseas?

Well i havent really found any place that sells a whole kit yet :/

But yeah, i know the door panel has to go off ect. would just be nice to have a guide that shows you all the secret and stupid screws that are often hidden in door panels :D

Also i gotta find my owners manual (car didn't come with one, so gotta search) to find the correct speaker size..

Edit:

Alright i might need some help here, my radio is a Pioneer DEH-2600UI, couldn't find it on their website though, this one is similar in the build in amp LINK

I found out through my owners manual that the max size of the speakers should be 165mm in diameter

b9ee3bb3efb1cb250b30ff13acd2c161.png

But the speakers of that size draws more power (it looks like that to me) than what the built in amp can deliver LINK Do i really need to use a 3rd part amp? i have no idea how to install one :|

Well i havent really found any place that sells a whole kit yet :/

But yeah, i know the door panel has to go off ect. would just be nice to have a guide that shows you all the secret and stupid screws that are often hidden in door panels :D

Also i gotta find my owners manual (car didn't come with one, so gotta search) to find the correct speaker size..

Edit:

Alright i might need some help here, my radio is a Pioneer DEH-2600UI, couldn't find it on their website though, this one is similar in the build in amp LINK

I found out through my owners manual that the max size of the speakers should be 165mm in diameter

b9ee3bb3efb1cb250b30ff13acd2c161.png

But the speakers of that size draws more power (it looks like that to me) than what the built in amp can deliver LINK Do i really need to use a 3rd part amp? i have no idea how to install one :|

You should not need to use an AMP for door speakers, if anything you'd have to just get a new head unit which is easy to do (from my experience) unless you have anti theft systems etc. The only time I've seen a need for an after market amp is when you are installing those giant sub-woofers that make everything rattle and set off car alarms (which is quite fun I would add).

Walmart sells wiring kits, but not whole car kits. They just sell a selection of speakers, amps, head units, capacitors, and woofers. The head unit is the actual radio in the dash, which you remove by removing the trim around the dash, and inserting some keys or a screw driver into the sides that allows it to be pulled straight out. The hardest part is finding a way to hook the original wiring harness to the head unit. Some times you have to just remove the whole wiring harness and re-wire everything. Not really a hard thing to do, just time consuming if you don't want to see the wires. I could do the ones on my 3000gt in about a day, it just takes forever to do. I will say that if you put in an amp and woofers, get a nice battery and replace your alternator with a stronger one because you will see a noticeable increase in power consumption, and in some cases could kill your factory alternator much more quickly.

Edit: That head unit should be MORE than enough for some pioneer door speakers. One thing to also look out for, is how much power a head unit can take from an AUX in line (your ipod headphone plug thingy). my sister's boyfriend and I once stole my sisters car on christmas eve and put in an entire sound system overnight (was a nightmare......don't ask), and on the way back to the house to present it to her, we hooked up his ipod, and ended up blowing a fuse on the back of the head unit and all that was working by the time we got there was the sub woofers. The little fuse in the back was easy to replace, but just annoying that it couldn't handle half volume from a dinky original style Ipod.

I'm sure if you look on youtube, you can find a lot of instructional information about this, shouldn't be too hard since it's somewhat of a normal thing for the average American teenager in a rural area to do.

-wall 'o text-

You should not need to use an AMP for door speakers, if anything you'd have to just get a new head unit which is easy to do (from my experience) unless you have anti theft systems etc. The only time I've seen a need for an after market amp is when you are installing those giant sub-woofers that make everything rattle and set off car alarms (which is quite fun I would add).

Walmart sells wiring kits, but not whole car kits. They just sell a selection of speakers, amps, head units, capacitors, and woofers. The head unit is the actual radio in the dash, which you remove by removing the trim around the dash, and inserting some keys or a screw driver into the sides that allows it to be pulled straight out. The hardest part is finding a way to hook the original wiring harness to the head unit. Some times you have to just remove the whole wiring harness and re-wire everything. Not really a hard thing to do, just time consuming if you don't want to see the wires. I could do the ones on my 3000gt in about a day, it just takes forever to do. I will say that if you put in an amp and woofers, get a nice battery and replace your alternator with a stronger one because you will see a noticeable increase in power consumption, and in some cases could kill your factory alternator much more quickly.

Edit: That head unit should be MORE than enough for some pioneer door speakers. One thing to also look out for, is how much power a head unit can take from an AUX in line (your ipod headphone plug thingy). my sister's boyfriend and I once stole my sisters car on christmas eve and put in an entire sound system overnight (was a nightmare......don't ask), and on the way back to the house to present it to her, we hooked up his ipod, and ended up blowing a fuse on the back of the head unit and all that was working by the time we got there was the sub woofers. The little fuse in the back was easy to replace, but just annoying that it couldn't handle half volume from a dinky original style Ipod.

I'm sure if you look on youtube, you can find a lot of instructional information about this, shouldn't be too hard since it's somewhat of a normal thing for the average American teenager in a rural area to do.

Alright thanks! But what about the speakers i linked? Those are the only decent ones my local car shop sells :| Would the head unit be enough for 2 of those ?

Link so you know what i'm tlaking about: http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/support/spdp.jsp?pid=GX602&spdp=product-support

Alright thanks! But what about the speakers i linked? Those are the only decent ones my local car shop sells :| Would the head unit be enough for 2 of those ?

Link so you know what i'm tlaking about: http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/support/spdp.jsp?pid=GX602&spdp=product-support

Should be fine, but you could get nicer ones on ebay or amazon. JBL from what I remember is something of a "walmart brand" if you know what I mean, generic stuff. Not uber high quality, if I was going to replace my car speakers it would be with sony or pioneer speakers. If the current head unit has 4 speakers hooked up to it now (which it should, 2 front, 2 back, maybe tweeters ontop of the dash depending on how new the car is) then you should be able to handle 4. Still, your best bet for stuff is amazon. I've never heard of anyone needing an amp for the door speakers. Your average amp is like, 500watts and the size of a text book.

Should be fine, but you could get nicer ones on ebay or amazon. JBL from what I remember is something of a "walmart brand" if you know what I mean, generic stuff. Not uber high quality, if I was going to replace my car speakers it would be with sony or pioneer speakers. If the current head unit has 4 speakers hooked up to it now (which it should, 2 front, 2 back, maybe tweeters ontop of the dash depending on how new the car is) then you should be able to handle 4. Still, your best bet for stuff is amazon. I've never heard of anyone needing an amp for the door speakers. Your average amp is like, 500watts and the size of a text book.

Well i only got 2 speakers hooked up, no tweeters or anything... from what i can see the car i have is the low budget model, so only 2 door speakers and that's it.

this is the place i'm looking (it's in danish, just try and google translate it if needed): http://www.thansen.dk/bil/autoudstyr/hifi/hojttalere/6-5-hojttalere/n-435522768/ I know the XZound is some cheapo crap that blows up within the first week, then the rest is JBL :/

I found a site with some pioneer ones, but that site has the worst layout ever, i can't find any 165mm speakers ._.

JBL is not the worst but if you are a real audio freak on a tight budged its fine especialy if you add dampening pads in your door panel behind the speakers it makes a real diffrence in sound. 

Edit: btw i also have a 03' 206 but i have 2 back and 2 front. you can remove the caps from your doorframe that goes up to the roof (cant find the word for it) and jbl has some caps so you can place tweeters there. you only need to add the wiriring.

tnt__1063905849_tweeter2jbl.jpg

I7 2600k @ 4,5GHz - 16GB Kingston 1600Mhz RAM - Asus Sabertooth P67 - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - 2x Caviar Black 1TB - ADATA 80GB Boot SSD - Club3D 7870 XT - 42" Panasonic 3D Led TV - 22" Samsung SyncMaster

Well i only got 2 speakers hooked up, no tweeters or anything... from what i can see the car i have is the low budget model, so only 2 door speakers and that's it.

this is the place i'm looking (it's in danish, just try and google translate it if needed): http://www.thansen.dk/bil/autoudstyr/hifi/hojttalere/6-5-hojttalere/n-435522768/ I know the XZound is some cheapo crap that blows up within the first week, then the rest is JBL :/

I found a site with some pioneer ones, but that site has the worst layout ever, i can't find any 165mm speakers ._.

165mm is 6 1/2 inch standard round speaker. You should have spots in the rear of the car for 2 more speakers, definitely worth the time and effort to put some there since it gives you much better sound than just 2. They will probably be 6x9's

JBL is not the worst but if you are a real audio freak on a tight budged its fine especialy if you add dampening pads in your door panel behind the speakers it makes a real diffrence in sound. 

Edit: btw i also have a 03' 206 but i have 2 back and 2 front. you can remove the caps from your doorframe that goes up to the roof (cant find the word for it) and jbl has some caps so you can place tweeters there. you only need to add the wiriring.

-snip

That would be the "pillar" if I remember my terminology correctly. Does the car have spots for speakers in the back seat area? It should.

Tweeters are also worthwhile

165mm is 6 1/2 inch standard round speaker. You should have spots in the rear of the car for 2 more speakers, definitely worth the time and effort to put some there since it gives you much better sound than just 2. They will probably be 6x9's

That would be the "pillar" if I remember my terminology correctly. Does the car have spots for speakers in the back seat area? It should.

Right, thanks. yeah mine came standard with back speakers. BTW the JBL caps were a peugeot factory upgrade you should be able to order them at a dealer if you wanted them and add the correct size tweeters.

I7 2600k @ 4,5GHz - 16GB Kingston 1600Mhz RAM - Asus Sabertooth P67 - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - 2x Caviar Black 1TB - ADATA 80GB Boot SSD - Club3D 7870 XT - 42" Panasonic 3D Led TV - 22" Samsung SyncMaster

I found some pioneer speakers that fit 165mm :D

Alright so, i'm finally home and i decided to grab a few pictures, so you can see what i deal with  :D

Sorry for the potato quality, my HTC One m7 was one of the first batches and it had the issue with the camera overheating.

I'm not sure if the picture with the Tweeter is actually that, or what the hell it is..

Speaker(1 in each door):

f0a1bc9b48dd7b21bd1a7d08ecf0165f.jpg

Tweeters?(1 in each door):

a8bc0c27e9ab2f01c61bcd045f9369ee.jpg

Trunk(this is the only wires i have) - *Update* I found another wire like that behind the panel on the other side! :D

3b11887f8aebc046e07d38b811638580.jpg

Radio:

b2fcf47a47484d980bff93098ce12a39.jpg

And an edited picture of my car because i can  :D

5a26979895eb1696b4681a435e756417.png

Well, those trunk wire's do look like speaker wire, the issue I see though is that if you want sub woofer you will have to run a bunch of other stuff for the amp (power wire, ground wire, memory wire, 2 RCA jack wires for the amp itself.

But everything does look as I thought it would, the speakers are hidden behind the door panel. Usually you can get away with just removing the bottom screws flexing the panel up out of the way (a bit, not too much) and getting the speakers out and putting the new ones in.

No matter what you do, be prepared to break some of the snaps behind the panel when you take it off, it's unavoidable because it was made by an engineer (who in the automotive industry is essentially a witch, and pure evil) who doesn't realize that things will be taken apart eventually. (sometimes, you find something that makes you wonder "how in fuck did they even put that together to begin with?!")

Well, those trunk wire's do look like speaker wire, the issue I see though is that if you want sub woofer you will have to run a bunch of other stuff for the amp (power wire, ground wire, memory wire, 2 RCA jack wires for the amp itself.

But everything does look as I thought it would, the speakers are hidden behind the door panel. Usually you can get away with just removing the bottom screws flexing the panel up out of the way (a bit, not too much) and getting the speakers out and putting the new ones in.

No matter what you do, be prepared to break some of the snaps behind the panel when you take it off, it's unavoidable because it was made by an engineer (who in the automotive industry is essentially a witch, and pure evil) who doesn't realize that things will be taken apart eventually. (sometimes, you find something that makes you wonder "how in fuck did they even put that together to begin with?!")

i won't be having a sub, since my mom borrows my car from time to time for shopping and such :)

I found this on a peugeot 206 forum:

17349355bfea36c8fa4a807d30d1284a.png

To me, that grill looks very damn similar to the one i have, so maybe i'm lucky? :D

I would like to thank you all for the help! Though i will not try to swap the speakers soon, i wanna wait until the weather gets better :)

Btw, is it actually my tweeters on that picture? or what are those holes there for ? :o

i won't be having a sub, since my mom borrows my car from time to time for shopping and such :)

I found this on a peugeot 206 forum:

17349355bfea36c8fa4a807d30d1284a.png

To me, that grill looks very damn similar to the one i have, so maybe i'm lucky? :D

I would like to thank you all for the help! Though i will not try to swap the speakers soon, i wanna wait until the weather gets better :)

Btw, is it actually my tweeters on that picture? or what are those holes there for ? :o

It's...hard to say about those tiny things. And the picture you posted looks like you are going to have to remove the door panel. I personally never removed an entire panel, just removed enough screws to lift up the edge of the door panel closest to the speaker, get a short screwdriver, remove speaker, insert new speaker, screw in screws, connect wires, put everything back together. Although you do run the risk (depending on material and the shape and size of the door) of cracking the door panel.

It's...hard to say about those tiny things. And the picture you posted looks like you are going to have to remove the door panel. I personally never removed an entire panel, just removed enough screws to lift up the edge of the door panel closest to the speaker, get a short screwdriver, remove speaker, insert new speaker, screw in screws, connect wires, put everything back together. Although you do run the risk (depending on material and the shape and size of the door) of cracking the door panel.

Yup just checked, gotta remove the whole door panel, but i can see it has been done before, the screws have some wear on them and it's missing 1 screw on the passenger side ;)