More small sticks of RAM or fewer larger?

Go to solution Solved by target39,

Single 8GB. It will put less strain on the IMC and allow more available slots for twice as much storage if you decide to fill it up. Example:

4 DIMM slot motherboard

4x4gb = 16gb

4x8gb = 32gb

I was looking into upgrading laptop memory when I noticed  a deal on an 8gb stick that was just as cheap as 2x4gb sticks.

My end goal here is 8gb of laptop memory so my question is which would be better for overall performance? A single 8gb stick, or the 2 4gb?

41-dljiN8jL._SX385_.jpg

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find the thread

In my laptop for example I'd do with two sticks because it's in dual channel, a single stick is in single channel.

Not sure about newer ones but I'd go with two sticks

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Single 8GB. It will put less strain on the IMC and allow more available slots for twice as much storage if you decide to fill it up. Example:

4 DIMM slot motherboard

4x4gb = 16gb

4x8gb = 32gb

4 DIMM slot motherboard

4x4gb = 16gb

4x8gb = 32gb

+

Edit: 

I did pick 2x4gb because I could not upgrade - 8gb was the maximum amount of memory my mobo could handle

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

As target has said, unless it's a laptop for something that is going to need dual channel mode, then just get a single 8GB dim and get a second one later on if needed.

Going with the 1 module with 8GB gives you the opportunity to at some point add another 8GB for a total of 16GB.

The difference in performance from 2x4GB and 8GB will only be noticeable in benchmarks.  I highly doubt there will be any difference in the real world.

4 DIMM slot motherboard

4x4gb = 16gb

4x8gb = 32gb

Wanted to ask this question. Thanks for the answer! :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer