Dac/amp combo?

komm13

Hey! 

I m looking for a dac/amp combo to drive both my headphones -hd650- and my active speakers -without further amping them-. A volume knob for both is essential.

Basically i m looking for an alternative to something like the asus essence one/ STU, matrix mini-i . Is there anything else that can do the job for less money?

Also, EU seller would be great so that i can avoid customs etc...

Thanks a lot!

Not really much option here in the UK/EU. I can personally recommend the FiiO E17 as I have had the chance to thoroughly use one in the past. However, it's only for headphones.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

Active speakers don't care what amp is before them and HD650's would run off a E07k just fine. 

@komm13

Look into stuff from schiit since fiio is just mass produced mainstream crap. Speaking from experience, that's not a recipe for quality.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Thanks for the suggestions !

I ve checked out fiio, but i m not looking for something portable/running on batteries.

About the schiit stack, how am i going to control the volume of my speakers?

E07k may be portable, but its cheap and it works, no need to pointlessly overspend on stuff you don't need. 

Audioengine D1?? I know from anecdotes that you can control the volume of their A2+/A5+ with the knob of the D1.  It automatically switches when you plug headphones in as well. 

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I really like the Schiit Bifrost uber with the Asgard 2 amp, they sound absolutely amazing with the HD650s. There is also an output for speakers as well.

Audioengine D1?? I know from anecdotes that you can control the volume of their A2+/A5+ with the knob of the D1.  It automatically switches when you plug headphones in as well. 

I ve considered the D1 but I ve read various small issues and i dont know if it will be "enough" for the 650's! 

Obviously having never used it i cant really know :P

I really like the Schiit Bifrost uber with the Asgard 2 amp, they sound absolutely amazing with the HD650s. There is also an output for speakers as well.

Thanks for the input, but its a biiit above my budget :)

Get whichever DAC/amp combo you'd like, but for your setup (split it to an active speaker), find one that have 'line out' jack(s). 3,5mm stereo or RCA jacks, both will work. 

I know i need to find a combo with a line out, i also need to be able to control the volume on the line out so something like o2odac wont work for me -unfortunately :( -.

Also trs/xlr would be great since i already have the cables :P 

anyone got any experience with matrix mini-i ?

Why do you need the headphone amp to control the speakers? Just plug them into your motherboard. Headphone amps and DACs have no SQ increase on active speakers.

Both the onboard and discrete sound cards had terrible static/interference. Otherwise i d be just fine with an STX/ZXR.

I m using a scarlett 2i2 at the moment and while it does everything i need -mic/speakers/headphones- it doesnt have the power for the 650's, i almost max her out with my 555 and I generally listen at a low volume .

Moreover if i plugged them into my motherboard or a sound card, i d need something to control the volume.

Looks like you have no problem spending a little bit of money. What's wrong with an O2/Odac combo for your use case? Imagine: An A/B switch with two 3.5mm connections. You can have a headphone plugged into the switch and your speakers plugged into the other 3.5mm port. And then, 3.5mm to 3.5mm connection to your O2/Odac. Now you have an external device with a switch that can switch between speakers or headphones with a flick of a switch, and the great performance of O2 and Odac that is more than enough for HD650s.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

This may be an option: http://www.headnhifi.com/amplifiers/desktop-headphone-amplifiers/O2-ODAC-fully-modded

I know MayflowerElectronics makes nearly identical ones and are available worldwide, but as you didn't want to buy from outside of the EU this seems like it isn't an option.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

This may be an option: http://www.headnhifi.com/amplifiers/desktop-headphone-amplifiers/O2-ODAC-fully-modded

I know MayflowerElectronics makes nearly identical ones and are available worldwide, but as you didn't want to buy from outside of the EU this seems like it isn't an option.

yea i ve checked them out, but Switzerland=customs :P

Looks like you have no problem spending a little bit of money. What's wrong with an O2/Odac combo for your use case? Imagine: An A/B switch with two 3.5mm connections. You can have a headphone plugged into the switch and your speakers plugged into the other 3.5mm port. And then, 3.5mm to 3.5mm connection to your O2/Odac. Now you have an external device with a switch that can switch between speakers or headphones with a flick of a switch, and the great performance of O2 and Odac that is more than enough for HD650s.

Hmm, could I do the exact same thing with the 2i2? plug an amp to its headphone output ?

Either way, i would strongly prefer an all-in-one solution for practicality and aesthetics as well, but all suggestions are welcome :)

Hey! 

I m looking for a dac/amp combo to drive both my headphones -hd650- and my active speakers -without further amping them-. A volume knob for both is essential.

Basically i m looking for an alternative to something like the asus essence one/ STU, matrix mini-i . Is there anything else that can do the job for less money?

Also, EU seller would be great so that i can avoid customs etc...

Thanks a lot!

Check out the Fiio E09k paired with either the E07K or the E17K. The E09K is a powerful desktop amp that has dock-in for the portable AMP/DAC E07K/E17K, so you use the amp in the E09K and the DAC in the E07/17K. The E09K has a unamplified passthrough option for active speakers that still utilizes the DAC. also you get a portable DAC.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

yea i ve checked them out, but Switzerland=customs :P

Hmm, could I do the exact same thing with the 2i2? plug an amp to its headphone output ?

Either way, i would strongly prefer an all-in-one solution for practicality and aesthetics as well, but all suggestions are welcome :)

There is also a UK based one. http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

If you got the cash to throw away at an STU for just the independant volume controls I'd say, "why not?" As long as you're aware there's cheaper (though possibly less elegant) solutions, it's your choice in how you spend the money.

If you got the cash to throw away at an STU for just the independant volume controls I'd say, "why not?" As long as you're aware there's cheaper (though possibly less elegant) solutions, it's your choice in how you spend the money.

OP says:

Is there anything else that can do the job for less money?

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

OP says:

And we've already come to the conclusion that there isn't a cheaper solution that's as elegant. I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with paying for that elegance.

And we've already come to the conclusion that there isn't a cheaper solution that's as elegant. I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with paying for that elegance.

Ok, don't hurt me!  :(

I would've figured there would be a cheaper option that does it in an all-in-one-package considering the price.

I thought the same thing since the stu is just a usb stx :/

I ll check again some fiio stuff since so many suggested them, but i am curious about the matrix mini since nobody has any feedback about it :P